Tails on Slinky Dog Dash's Ride Vehicles temporarily removed

AEfx

I wouldn't typically disagree but shouldn't these have been made a bit more wear-resistant?

Yeah, of course my first thought was "this is why we can't have nice things," like it seems many others did, but I can't help but be critical of the build quality to begin with. We know they cut corners everywhere possible, but for some reason I thought "ride vehicle durability" would be safe. I mean, any place a guest can put their hands, they will. And especially the way that coaster is designed, I can totally see why many people would think it was made for grabbing.

trainplane3

Reminds me of when Cedar Point took the back decorative wheels off of the trains on Top Thrill Dragster.
It only took weight issues and literally losing a fake wheel in the lagoon!
"Earlier this evening (11:30 pm), one of the Good Year tires fell from the blue train on Top Thrill Dragster. Apparently, one of the tires let loose from its axle somewhere along its 120-mph journey. I was in in the purple train, two trains behind the blue train, and I wasn't even aware that there was a problem until our train approached the unload platform. The blue train, minus the right tire, was occupying the first position on the unload platform, with the green train behind it. Our train had to be unloaded on the brake block (we waited about fifteen minutes to be disembarked - apparently there was some confusion on the unload platform as to what was going on and how to best unload our train).
When I walked onto the unload platform, and then to the stairs, I got a good glimpse of the axle, which was clearly severed at is neck. The tire was nowhere in sight, and I had clearly remembered no faults with the blue train as it had cycled through the station prior to my entry into the purple train (I noticed the blue train specifically because I had taken my first TTD ride in the blue train). As to where it landed - whether it simply landed in the dirt alongside the launch, or whether it was catapulted into the air along its ascent - that's just pure conjecture. One thing is for sure - at least the park was closed at the time. The chances of the tire striking an unfortunate bystander were probably greatly reduced simply by the time of day. I would look for the blue train to be out of commission tomorrow (at the very least).

On my way out of the park, I was talking with a guy who had been on the blue train - he said that the guys in the back row heard a noise during the ride, and that they knew something was wrong. Apparently they noticed the car was without its right wheel only after getting out of the train on the platform. He said he took a picture of the train but was yelled at by one of the employees (they didn't confiscate the camera so no harm done....but I doubt he told them that he was going to try to sell the picture to the newspapers).

It was quite a sight and even more shocking than the three consecutive rollbacks I saw two weeks ago. Just think of the damage that tire could have done if the park was open. I didn't stick around last night, but I would guess the attraction was closed and will remain closed until a cause was found and solution to the problem was devised and applied to all of the cosmetic wheel assemblies on the coaster."

"The tire bounced along the break run actually bounced over the electrical building and landed under iron dragon somewhere. I was in the left lane just about to enter the station when it happoned at 11:30. They took the blue train off, then the green one for some reason but left the tires on the other three trains. I finally got on at alomost 1."
*From Coasterbuzz*
A truly classic story

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom