Tropical Hideaway Construction - Tiki Room Refurbishment - Adventureland Entry Remodel

SuddenStorm

Why not just say 30K get in? If your number 30,001 the park is closed.

That's how Walt did it, that's how America does it . . . and it's worked pretty well so far.

Got a source on the Walt capacity? And whether it was influenced by Goodwill or what the capacity of the park was at the time?

TP2000

Original Poster
Got a source on the Walt capacity? And whether it was influenced by Goodwill or what the capacity of the park was at the time?

That's revisionist Walt history. Walt saw the park packed to the rafters many times before his death in 1966, and Walt's hand picked team of executives continued to see the park packed to the rafters in the years following his death.

On August 16, 1969, a week after the Haunted Mansion opened, Disneyland set a new attendance record of 82,516 customers for the day.
https://books.google.com/books?id=y...land record attendance august 16 1969&f=false
They all couldn't have been in the park at the same time, but you can bet that the park was insanely crowded. And this was back when there were no parades and no water shows in summer, just a 5 minute Fantasy In The Sky fireworks show at 9:00pm. Disneyland must have been miserable that day!

Haunted Mansion has an hourly capacity of 2,100 riders. If the ride ran from 8am to 1am that day, 17 hours, and if it ran absolutely perfectly which is unlikely with a gaggle of brand new CM's trying to learn to operate this brand new ride with elevators and an Omnimover, it would have carried 41,000 riders that day. That's less than half the number of paying customers who arrived to go on the big new Haunted Mansion ride. I bet the line for refunds at City Hall was down the block that day!

At Disneyland's Tencenial party in July, 1965 at the Disneyland Hotel, Walt gave a speech and made fun of Richard Nunis for bugging him about adding ride capacity to the park ASAP. It was obvious that even in '65 the park was bursting at the seams and customer satisfaction was being damaged by the lack of ride capacity. And Walt made a joke about it at a party in front of a thousand CM's.

Walt was a man just like anyone else, and he wasn't perfect and he didn't stand out front of Disneyland every morning deciding when the last visitor was allowed in to protect some weird concept of theme park perfection.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Disney doesn't publish those numbers. I'm sure there is some geeky site out there that has an unofficial number like 80k. I'm sure that is the limit the fire marshal allows. I'd hate to be in there during a fire or some other disaster.

SuddenStorm

Disney doesn't publish those numbers. I'm sure there is some geeky site out there that has an unofficial number like 80k. I'm sure that is the limit the fire marshal allows. I'd hate to be in there during a fire or some other disaster.

You didn't answer my question. You claimed Walt used to artificially cap capacity to keep crowds low.

I've never heard or seen any evidence of this.

Old Mouseketeer

That's revisionist Walt history. Walt saw the park packed to the rafters many times before his death in 1966, and Walt's hand picked team of executives continued to see the park packed to the rafters in the years following his death.

On August 16, 1969, a week after the Haunted Mansion opened, Disneyland set a new attendance record of 82,516 customers for the day.
https://books.google.com/books?id=ywKgDgAAQBAJ&pg=PT261&lpg=PT261&dq=disneyland+record+attendance+august+16+1969&source=bl&ots=DKDHCU4Cut&sig=xBAZjTg-LjVseDKQ9liip2jGzd4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnq9jVwNLfAhUKUa0KHS9nAkYQ6AEwAXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=disneyland record attendance august 16 1969&f=false
They all couldn't have been in the park at the same time, but you can bet that the park was insanely crowded. And this was back when there were no parades and no water shows in summer, just a 5 minute Fantasy In The Sky fireworks show at 9:00pm. Disneyland must have been miserable that day!

Haunted Mansion has an hourly capacity of 2,100 riders. If the ride ran from 8am to 1am that day, 17 hours, and if it ran absolutely perfectly which is unlikely with a gaggle of brand new CM's trying to learn to operate this brand new ride with elevators and an Omnimover, it would have carried 41,000 riders that day. That's less than half the number of paying customers who arrived to go on the big new Haunted Mansion ride. I bet the line for refunds at City Hall was down the block that day!

At Disneyland's Tencenial party in July, 1965 at the Disneyland Hotel, Walt gave a speech and made fun of Richard Nunis for bugging him about adding ride capacity to the park ASAP. It was obvious that even in '65 the park was bursting at the seams and customer satisfaction was being damaged by the lack of ride capacity. And Walt made a joke about it at a party in front of a thousand CM's.

Walt was a man just like anyone else, and he wasn't perfect and he didn't stand out front of Disneyland every morning deciding when the last visitor was allowed in to protect some weird concept of theme park perfection.

Thanks for the citation on the 82k number in 1969. I still remember this figure from when I worked one summer at DL in 1973 right after high school. In those days, that Saturday in August was considered the peak day. In 1973 we only hit 72k.

BrianLo

Attractions
Dr. A. Falls - Mbei River 1903 - Albert (Jungle Cruise/Skipper Cantina)
B.T. Bullion - Colorado River 1870 - Barnabus (MK Big Thunder) aka Tony Baxter
J. Chandler - Elaho River 1882 - Jason (Big Thunder) - comic book appearance/former SEA president
H. Mystic - Ganges River 1874 - Henry (Mystic Manor protagonist)
H. Hightower - Yangtze River 1872 - Harrison (TDS Tower of Terror) aka Joe Rohde
M. Oceaneer - Orinoco River 1899 - Mary (DCL, Mystic Manor and the Raft Ride at Typhoon Lagoon) aka Mary Blaire

Clear Proprietors
Chef Tandaji - Irrawady River 1913 - Single menu item at Skippers Canteen... given the 'chef' I'd just assume he's really going to be nothing more than the Skippers Canteen's 'guy'.
M.A. Pleasure - Kissimmee River 1900 - Merriweather Adam - Pleasure Island/Adventurers Club proprietor. I think the initials are also a shout out to the existence of pleasure island in Massachusetts and Kissimmee being Florida.

Hints?
Prof R. Blaurhimmel - Ucayali River 1904 - Blair Himmell, Aviator portrait appears in Mystic Manor - I previously suspected that he'll have a tie into Tokyo's Soaring Fantastic Flights
Dr. J.L. Baterista - Congo River 1906 - Explorer portrait features in Mystic Manor - no attraction
S. Shio - Amazon River 1910 - Sango, appears on the skipper canteen menu/listed on a Fez in the Skipper Canteen. A Japanese fansite mentions something about a coral show. I don't really know where this person fits.

New
C. Falco - Zambezi River 1831 - No association. River being that of Angel's Falls in Africa. Possible Blue Sky Animal Kingdom concept? We know the Shanghai boat tech was being bandied about.

To Follow up on this - C. Falco is actually Camilla Falco from Soaring Fantastic Flights in Tokyo Disney Sea. Falco... Falcon.

So probably the mystery is now fully solved and this was the major hint at a future attraction.

britain

To Follow up on this - C. Falco is actually Camilla Falco from Soaring Fantastic Flights in Tokyo Disney Sea. Falco... Falcon.

So probably the mystery is now fully solved and this was the major hint at a future attraction.

ah-HA! Good job!

mickEblu

Hint for an attraction that was announced 4 years ago?

BrianLo

Hint for an attraction that was announced 4 years ago?

One has to assume the lowest common denominator. The SEA connnection was not yet established when imagineers took people through.

There remains the three other people listed on oars that don’t have attractions, but in some cases they’ve been official SEA members dating back to 2014 in the Mystic Manor queue. I’d obviously like to see more tie in (Chapek is apparently a SEA fan).

TROR

One has to assume the lowest common denominator. The SEA connnection was not yet established when imagineers took people through.

There remains the three other people listed on oars that don’t have attractions, but in some cases they’ve been official SEA members dating back to 2014 in the Mystic Manor queue. I’d obviously like to see more tie in (Chapek is apparently a SEA fan).
Ah, the one thematic element he actually enjoys is the one that's overdone. The only good SEA story is Tower of Terror in Tokyo.

Old Mouseketeer

They have to fix it.

They did fix it--30 years ago when they built the Pirate bridge. Then they shoehorned the Indy queue over Pirates' extended queue down the side of the building and screwed all of NOS (not to mention CM access to backstage). Indy is a great ride, but functionally terrible for Adventureland and NOS.

truecoat

They did fix it--30 years ago when they built the Pirate bridge. Then they shoehorned the Indy queue over Pirates' extended queue down the side of the building and screwed all of NOS (not to mention CM access to backstage). Indy is a great ride, but functionally terrible for Adventureland and NOS.

Does anyone have a layout or picture of the old Pirate's queue?

SuddenStorm

It could be argued that the added capacity of Indy is more beneficial than the small loss of Pirates queue space, especially since Indy alone doesn't significantly impact Disneyland's crowds 25 years after it was built.

britain

It could be argued that the added capacity of Indy is more beneficial than the small loss of Pirates queue space, especially since Indy alone doesn't significantly impact Disneyland's crowds 25 years after it was built.

It was probably the right call to take that Pirate queue space and make it Indy queue space back in '95, but now that fastpass has changed the way the Indy queue works, the post-temple-entry crowds is NEVER lengthy enough to back up to that area anymore.

I say, sprinkle some Stardust on turning that part of the tunnel back into Pirate queue.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Or stack the Pirates queue over the first leg of the temple portion of the Indy queue.

Also the Treehouse doesn’t need so much space on the base to play around after you walk down from the Treehouse proper.

Phroobar

cpnL2hq.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom