Tropical Hideaway Construction - Tiki Room Refurbishment - Adventureland Entry Remodel

George Lucas on a Bench

If you want to open up Adventureland, you know what they have to do. Due to awkward design, as soon as you enter the area, you walk smackdab into a wall and need to make a hard left to avoid the OMC bizarre store. Every time you look around, it's in your face. If they were to remove sections of this gigantic shop selling unrelated Pac Sun merchandise, it would free up a lot of space.

SuddenStorm

If you want to open up Adventureland, you know what they have to do. Due to awkward design, as soon as you enter the area, you walk smackdab into a wall and need to make a hard left to avoid the OMC bizarre store. Every time you look around, it's in your face. If they were to remove sections of this gigantic shop selling unrelated Pac Sun merchandise, it would free up a lot of space.

I remember being shocked when I saw they were selling normal street clothes inside the Adventureland store.

I mean- a lot of it wasn't even Disney. Just normal brand clothing. At full price.

Such a waste of space that would be far better suited for stroller parking.

SuddenStorm

The thing that bothers me most about the removal of all these random planters is that the crowd flow is only so slightly improved that it’s just not worth the loss of charm/ ambiance. The projects that actually made some real improvements were the Dumbo Q, IASW Q, Adventureland stroller parking/ shops/ Bengal seating reconfiguration and the Tropical Hideaway. A few planters may have been sacrificed in these projects but it was for the greater good and for the most part there wasn’t a net loss in ambiance. With IASW we even gained trees.

Maybe they should focus on the real issue. Crowds. And not sticking bandaids all over the place.

What's amazing about most of the mentioned projects is that if someone only went to Disneyland once a year, and wasn't religiously following the park online, there's a good chance they wouldn't have even realized anything changed (except for the loss of the Dumbo hedge wall and the Hideaway). Beautifully done on the part of TDA and WDI. Improving Disneyland without hurting the aesthetic.

I mean, for as much as Disneyland fans have a reputation for griping about any change whether big or small, each of those has been embraced by the community and I don't think I saw any push back online. Sacrificing retail space to get strollers out of the path? That helps solve an issue that gets a new thread almost monthly on here. Without any of the extreme suggestions we often have.

mickEblu

What's amazing about most of the mentioned projects is that if someone only went to Disneyland once a year, and wasn't religiously following the park online, there's a good chance they wouldn't have even realized anything changed (except for the loss of the Dumbo hedge wall and the Hideaway). Beautifully done on the part of TDA and WDI. Improving Disneyland without hurting the aesthetic.

I mean, for as much as Disneyland fans have a reputation for griping about any change whether big or small, each of those has been embraced by the community and I don't think I saw any push back online. Sacrificing retail space to get strollers out of the path? That helps solve an issue that gets a new thread almost monthly on here. Without any of the extreme suggestions we often have.

Agreed. The only thing complained about (a lot) was the hedge wall. With that said, at least the project did something substantial to balance the loss.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Adventureland Bazaar must stay! Get rid of Tiki room instead.

The_Mesh_Hatter

What you do is remove the Adventureland restrooms and then push back the corner face of the Bazaar into the restroom space. Rebuild the facade to the same specs. That corner can get tough and you’d open up a lot of walking space. Build new restrooms on the side of POTC near the Dream Suite elevator. If they want to get fancy, also squeeze in a staircase in that same corner to the left of POTC and convert the dream suite into POTC extended queue.

Stevek

What you do is remove the Adventureland restrooms and then push back the corner face of the Bazaar into the restroom space. Rebuild the facade to the same specs. That corner can get tough and you’d open up a lot of walking space. Build new restrooms on the side of POTC near the Dream Suite elevator. If they want to get fancy, also squeeze in a staircase in that same corner to the left of POTC and convert the dream suite into POTC extended queue.

Unlikely they will have folks walk up and down stairs to get into Pirates but stranger things have happened.

The_Mesh_Hatter

When the Jungle Cruise line gets long you have to go up and down for the second level switchbacks. And the TDL version of Pirates has the same set up I’m describing

shortstop

Unlikely they will have folks walk up and down stairs to get into Pirates but stranger things have happened.
I believe the ADA accessible line is through the exit anyways, so adding stairs to the standby line doesn’t seem like it would be too big of an issue.

Stevek

I believe the ADA accessible line is through the exit anyways, so adding stairs to the standby line doesn’t seem like it would be too big of an issue.

I just don't see Disney using that particular stairway or the dream suite as a queue.

DanielBB8

Using that staircase out front would mess up the forced perspective. I agree it is unlikely they’ll use the Dream Suite, as it is a big money maker... but one can dream.
No one has the fantasy of climbing multiple levels to get on a ride. From the bottom entrance to Pirates level, then another flight of stairs to the dream suite. I’m sure they can expand Club 33 to the Dream Suite.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Well the Pirates extended queue turns the entire ROA waterfront into a clusterf*ck these days. And with rising crowd levels it’s only going to get worse. Once the line rises above 15 minutes, it begins choking some of the park’s most major arteries.
E7B8CC85-6A2C-4F67-97F3-71A9B942302C.jpeg

This is what a 20 minute wait looks like. Things get really ugly when the wait surges to 30 minutes.

Phroobar

Why does Disney let so many people into a park that can't handle that kind of capacity. Why are there so many clueless people that don't understand that Disneyland is beyond capacity. Something is extremely broken in Disney management. Lines like that should NEVER happen.

mickEblu

Why does Disney let so many people into a park that can't handle that kind of capacity. Why are there so many clueless people that don't understand that Disneyland is beyond capacity. Something is extremely broken in Disney management. Lines like that should NEVER happen.

They re just not willing to turn people ($$$) away.... in any sort of meaningful way at least. I’ve said that I would be pro capped APs or anything similar. Maybe they could even go to airline style reservations for APs. They could offer like 3 flex days where you could just drop by on a whim so there is some level of spontaneity. Obviously folks that are super local wouldn’t like this. But as an AP who lives in the SF valley it would work for me.

EDIT: I forgot. I am not an AP anymore. My pass expired in November. I had actually renewed early and then cancelled after a really exhausting day at the park with my son. Figured being that they offer no renewal perks I had nothing to lose by taking a short break. Now the question is do I “renew” before price raises in February or not?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom