What becomes of Star Tours

fctiger

From all accounts it will be staying there and sounds like there are no plans to replace it anytime in the future if at all.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its not moving to GE at all, it never was.

The rumors have been that once TL gets a redo (sometime in the next 10-15 years) that it'll be updated with some new IP besides SW. But short of that, it'll continue to be updated with scenes from the future movies for the foreseeable future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Am I the only one who scoffs at the idea of positioning a Star Wars attraction not in a Star Wars Land. This is beyond asinine and into the realm of sheer crazy.

Why? Not all the Pixar attractions, like Monsters Inc and Crush or even Buzz, got relocated into Pixar Pier. I know not a great example, but still makes the point.

STs will not stay forever. It'll be replaced eventually. It just won't be done when SW:GE opens. And besides STs whole premise is that its a tour transport agency, so they can always update it to have Batuu as our destination and then things go horribly wrong, just like the original.

fctiger

Am I the only one who scoffs at the idea of positioning a Star Wars attraction not in a Star Wars Land. This is beyond asinine and into the realm of sheer crazy.

Like it was said, there are multiple rides from franchises built in different areas. And I'm sure if they had the room it might have been considered. I think the issue is other than lack of room they also wanted to do something newer for SWL in the future.

And I think the other problem was if you replace ST, you now have one less ride in this area. We know how long it takes to build one ride so it would be years before it was replaced and TL needs all the help it can get so the decision was probably made to keep it there knowing it would feel like a big hole without it. I imagine it will be gone one day though but not before there is an actual replacement.

Of course like many I loved the idea of having ST in the new land and it really would tie into the theme perfectly as its a small outpost at the edge of the galaxy and ST would be positioned as the leading company to get people there and back. Sadly not meant to be.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Like it was said, there are multiple rides from franchises built in different areas. And I'm sure if they had the room it might have been considered. I think the issue is other than lack of room they also wanted to do something newer for SWL in the future.

And I think the other problem was if you replace ST, you now have one less ride in this area. We know how long it takes to build one ride so it would be years before it was replaced and TL needs all the help it can get so the decision was probably made to keep it there knowing it would feel like a big hole without it. I imagine it will be gone one day though but not before there is an actual replacement.

Of course like many I loved the idea of having ST in the new land and it really would tie into the theme perfectly as its a small outpost at the edge of the galaxy and ST would be positioned as the leading company to get people there and back. Sadly not meant to be.

You also have to think about this, Falcon is basically the next generation of the tech used in ST. It would have been seen as very outdated and a waste if they had moved it to SW:GE, basically the Falcon's poor old cousin. With it staying in TL, while there will be comparisons by fans to Falcon, it'll just be seen as just an extension of SW:GE by most guests who won't give it another thought. But again in the end it'll be replaced when TL gets a redo, either entirely or updated with a new IP.

The_Mesh_Hatter

It will soak up Galaxy’s Edge until it is no longer needed. They’ve basically turned it into an elaborate ad for the latest Star Wars film at this point, so it still has a function.

Damon7777

Original Poster
there are multiple rides from franchises built in different areas.

Let's not give credence to a dishonest and flawed position.

No, there is not considering this is a franchise with its own land.

The stupid equivalent would be a Mater attraction in Condor Flats area of DCA since Mater has his own world where he belongs ....all in the same park.

Last edited:

fctiger

Let's not give to credence to a dishonest and flawed position.

No, there is not considering this is a franchise with its own land.

The stupid equivalent would be a Mater attraction in Condor Flats area of DCA since Mater has his own world where he belongs ....all in the same park.

What is with trying to start a fight? Calm down, you asked a question, people are simply trying to give you their opinion on it. And how is it a 'flawed' position? Did you ignore everything else I said? I don't think its that alone, its probably about space and maybe plans for something newer down the line.

And Star Tours has been there for over 30 years now, maybe they just think it has more value where it is or its just not worth rebuilding an old ride in another area. There could be a lot of factors. Its not like they built the ride after the fact, so its a different situation entirely then your Mater analogy which is flawed given the circumstances.

fctiger

You also have to think about this, Falcon is basically the next generation of the tech used in ST. It would have been seen as very outdated and a waste if they had moved it to SW:GE, basically the Falcon's poor old cousin. With it staying in TL, while there will be comparisons by fans to Falcon, it'll just be seen as just an extension of SW:GE by most guests who won't give it another thought. But again in the end it'll be replaced when TL gets a redo, either entirely or updated with a new IP.

Yes exactly! It may just feel too outdated compared to the Falcon and yes also may feel redundant to have two screen rides in the same area. There would just be constant comparisons although I love Star Tours. I would've been happy to see it in the new land to make it feel complete as the OP wants but there probably a lot of factors why it wasn't. This one being another possibility.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes exactly! It may just feel too outdated compared to the Falcon and yes also may feel redundant to have two screen rides in the same area. There would just be constant comparisons although I love Star Tours. I would've been happy to see it in the new land to make it feel complete as the OP wants but there probably a lot of factors why it wasn't. this one being another possibility.

Not to even mention the great expense to actually move it. So many factors into why it was never going to be moved. It would have made more sense to actually build a new version instead of moving the old one, however they already did that with Falcon. So again no reason to basically duplicate an attraction that is already outdated. This doesn't even go into the whole aspect of having to close down most of TL just to move a 32 year old attraction. And the impact that would have had to the entire park.

So while the OP thinks its a stupid asinine idea, there are actual legitimate business reasons why its not being moved.

fctiger

Not to even mention the great expense to actually move it. So many factors into why it was never going to be moved. It would have made more sense to actually build a new version instead of moving the old one, however they already did that with Falcon. So again no reason to basically duplicate an attraction that is already outdated. This doesn't even go into the whole aspect of having to close down most of TL just to move a 32 year old attraction. And the impact that would have had to the entire park.

So while the OP thinks its a stupid asinine idea, there are actual legitimate business reasons why its not being moved.

The funny thing is Disney is doing the exact same thing with Star Tours and SWL at DHS. That ride will also not be placed in the new land which is interesting because the early rumors were they were going to put the land in that area specifically so Star Tours would be part of the land on day one. That obviously turned out false as it ended up being on the complete opposite end but its clear Disney just doesn't see a real need to add the ride in the new land on either coasts for probably the exact same reasons.

Chances are both rides may be rethemed to something similar in the future but as said that could be years away.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The funny thing is Disney is doing the exact same thing with Star Tours and SWL at DHS. That ride will also not be placed in the new land which is interesting because the early rumors were they were going to put the land in that area specifically so Star Tours would be part of the land on day one. That obviously turned out false as it ended up being on the complete opposite end but its clear Disney just doesn't see a real need to add the ride in the new land on either coasts for probably the exact same reasons.

Chances are both rides may be rethemed to something similar in the future but as said that could be years away.

True, but with DHS its at least on the "edge" of the Galaxy. ;):p:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom