Booking other resorts at 7 months...

Ariel1986

Original Poster
So I have a question which is probably one I should have asked before we signed up! (Don’t worry; no regrets- very happy to be members!)

Basically- I know we can book our home resort 11 months out and others at 7- but what is the best way to grab those other resorts at 7 months? Book our resort and then switch? How do I do this?

I want to book a few different resorts in December 2019. Shall I book the entire time at Copper Creek (home resort) and then switch some days at 7 months? Or just book CC for the days we want and wait until the 7 month window for the rest?
Sorry if this is a really obvious question!

Janir

Thats a good question. Unless I couldn't switch later, id book asap to grab a decent Home Resort stay then see what I could swap around for at the 6 month mark. Assuming that it doesn't cost me anything to do it. If I were booking directly with Disney I know I could do that, but dunno if DVC changes this scenario.

Ariel1986

Original Poster
Thats a good question. Unless I couldn't switch later, id book asap to grab a decent Home Resort stay then see what I could swap around for at the 6 month mark. Assuming that it doesn't cost me anything to do it. If I were booking directly with Disney I know I could do that, but dunno if DVC changes this scenario.

That's what I plan to when my Home Resort window opens soon- I just didn't know with DVC if it is hard to do with part of the stay (say I booked 10 nights at CC, but I actually wanted 4 of those nights at other resorts)?

Ariel1986

Original Poster
Book your home resort for your entire length of stay. There is no guarantee anything else will be available to you at 7 months.

Ok thanks- is it easy to then edit my home resort stay (make it shorter if I am successful with other resorts?) or is it like booking the normal way, where I would have to cancel and re-book it?

Janir

Call Disney and ask. There has to be someone that can answer the question. if its one thing I learned about Disney, especially WDW, customer service phone support is very helpful.

Ariel1986

Original Poster
Call Disney and ask. There has to be someone that can answer the question. if its one thing I learned about Disney, especially WDW, customer service phone support is very helpful.

Yes that's true- I just thought I'd come here first as usually people know the answer from experience. Sometimes people here know more! ;)

nickys

Premium Member
Ok thanks- is it easy to then edit my home resort stay (make it shorter if I am successful with other resorts?) or is it like booking the normal way, where I would have to cancel and re-book it?

The newly updated booking page means that modifying is now easier to do yourself, rather than having to phone in.

Even so, if you absolutely know you want to do a split stay, then you could make 2 reservations at 11 months, maybe one on your name, one in a partners name (or even your name with a middle initial) - to prevent MS combining them. Then at the 7 month mark, modify one to another resort, whichever is available and best option.

Ariel1986

Original Poster
The newly updated booking page means that modifying is now easier to do yourself, rather than having to phone in.

Even so, if you absolutely know you want to do a split stay, then you could make 2 reservations at 11 months, maybe one on your name, one in a partners name (or even your name with a middle initial) - to prevent MS combining them. Then at the 7 month mark, modify one to another resort, whichever is available and best option.

Great thanks for this. Perhaps the 2 stays is the best option- just in case! Makes sense.

dreamfinder

It's easy to have bookings modified. Keep in mind that if you try to book 2 stays, you can't book the second until the 11 month window opens for that date. So if its a high demand time period, you might want to book the whole thing, and then modify it later.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So I have a question which is probably one I should have asked before we signed up! (Don’t worry; no regrets- very happy to be members!)

Basically- I know we can book our home resort 11 months out and others at 7- but what is the best way to grab those other resorts at 7 months? Book our resort and then switch? How do I do this?

I want to book a few different resorts in December 2019. Shall I book the entire time at Copper Creek (home resort) and then switch some days at 7 months? Or just book CC for the days we want and wait until the 7 month window for the rest?
Sorry if this is a really obvious question!
You'll want to book the entire stay at the 11 month mark for CC, just to be sure that you get all the days you want. The day before your 7 month date, for the days you wish to switch, go online and check the Resort Availability Tool, and see what is still available. If what you are looking for is still available, then at exactly 9am the next morning, you call Member Services. They can switch your days without losing any of the current reservation. Yes, you can go online to modify your reservation, but unless you have enough points for both the 10 day stay, and the 4 days at the other resort, you will have to cancel the 4 days, and then reserve the 4 days at the new resort. During that time, what you are looking for may book up, and all of a sudden isn't available anymore. Then when you go back to grab your original 4 days, they could be gone as well.

Member Services can hold the new 4 day reservation, while modifying the original 10 day reservation at the same time. You can't do that online yourself.

What dates are you planning on going, and what is the other resort you want to stay at, and what size room do you want/need? All of that will definitely be a factor in whether you can get what you are looking for.

Ariel1986

Original Poster
You'll want to book the entire stay at the 11 month mark for CC, just to be sure that you get all the days you want. The day before your 7 month date, for the days you wish to switch, go online and check the Resort Availability Tool, and see what is still available. If what you are looking for is still available, then at exactly 9am the next morning, you call Member Services. They can switch your days without losing any of the current reservation. Yes, you can go online to modify your reservation, but unless you have enough points for both the 10 day stay, and the 4 days at the other resort, you will have to cancel the 4 days, and then reserve the 4 days at the new resort. During that time, what you are looking for may book up, and all of a sudden isn't available anymore. Then when you go back to grab your original 4 days, they could be gone as well.

Member Services can hold the new 4 day reservation, while modifying the original 10 day reservation at the same time. You can't do that online yourself.

What dates are you planning on going, and what is the other resort you want to stay at, and what size room do you want/need? All of that will definitely be a factor in whether you can get what you are looking for.

Great, thank you for all of this! That really helps. Our home resort is Copper Creek- and we also want to do a few nights at AKL and either Beach Club or Boardwalk. AKL & Boardwalk are much less than CC per night at the time we want to go (December 2019 Adventure Season) so I’m trying to work out how to play it as we’ll have more nights at those two with points than at CC & BC.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Great, thank you for all of this! That really helps. Our home resort is Copper Creek- and we also want to do a few nights at AKL and either Beach Club or Boardwalk. AKL & Boardwalk are much less than CC per night at the time we want to go (December 2019 Adventure Season) so I’m trying to work out how to play it as we’ll have more nights at those two with points than at CC & BC.
You're welcome! Just so you know - Adventure Season is one of the most popular times for DVC members to go, as the points are lower, and all the Christmas activities are already going on. It will be very difficult to get anything - especially a studio - anywhere but possibly SSR, OKW, and AKL. You might be able to snag a 1 bedroom at BCV or BWV, as those seem to book up last. Good luck!

Ariel1986

Original Poster
You're welcome! Just so you know - Adventure Season is one of the most popular times for DVC members to go, as the points are lower, and all the Christmas activities are already going on. It will be very difficult to get anything - especially a studio - anywhere but possibly SSR, OKW, and AKL. You might be able to snag a 1 bedroom at BCV or BWV, as those seem to book up last. Good luck!

Ah that makes sense, of course! We’ll definitely just book CC for what we can and then have a look the day before our 7 month window as you suggested. Either way we’ll just be happy to be back!

EOD K9

I just switched from my home resort to CC for one night. How did you like it? Anything special that stands out?

Ariel1986

Original Poster
I just switched from my home resort to CC for one night. How did you like it? Anything special that stands out?

We have only just signed up this past month to DVC! So we haven't even stayed at CC yet. So afraid I can't help there- but we did the tour beforehand of course and all the CC rooms we saw on that were beautiful. I can't wait to stay for real!

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
If you book at your home resort at the 11 month window and want to change at the 7 month window it is not problem to do.

Just beware that if you borrowed points for your stay from your next use year, and the new 7 month resort or room type wind up being less total points than your original 11 month selection, those points are returned to the the use year of your original reservation's stay. Those points then must be used during that use year would then be unable to be banked.

SS is our home resort, but we have never stayed there. We always like to alternate our stays between BLT and VGF. Usually go in August and have rarely found difficulties in booking at the 7 month window.

Ariel1986

Original Poster
If you book at your home resort at the 11 month window and want to change at the 7 month window it is not problem to do.

Just beware that if you borrowed points for your stay from your next use year, and the new 7 month resort or room type wind up being less total points than your original 11 month selection, those points are returned to the the use year of your original reservation's stay. Those points then must be used during that use year would then be unable to be banked.

SS is our home resort, but we have never stayed there. We always like to alternate our stays between BLT and VGF. Usually go in August and have rarely found difficulties in booking at the 7 month window.

Good to know, thanks!

EOD K9

My home is SSR so we are always pretty much guaranteed a stay. I then attempt a switch at 7 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom