Top of World Lounge Changes

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Saw this today on wdw news. Looks like access will soon only be by paying for a dining package...well maybe still unclear if access will be available on no. Package nights etc..

nickys

Premium Member
Saw this today on wdw news. Looks like access will soon only be by paying for a dining package...well maybe still unclear if access will be available on no. Package nights etc..

Nothing concrete yet. There is nothing to suggest access is stopping, all this package does is guarantee a place in TOTWL.

However, dates having been posted yet at all beyond NYE, so it’s still up in the air.

To my mind, closing access to all but the package guests will hurt them even more, so I don’t see it happening. If there isn’t a lot of foot-fall now, except for a round of drinks before the fireworks, then how will this help? I will be really upset if it does close though, we end up in TOTWL pretty much every night when we’re staying at Bay Lake. If it shuts, we’ll just be buying in more beer and wine and staying in our room instead.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Nothing concrete yet. There is nothing to suggest access is stopping, all this package does is guarantee a place in TOTWL.

However, dates having been posted yet at all beyond NYE, so it’s still up in the air.

To my mind, closing access to all but the package guests will hurt them even more, so I don’t see it happening. If there isn’t a lot of foot-fall now, except for a round of drinks before the fireworks, then how will this help? I will be really upset if it does close though, we end up in TOTWL pretty much every night when we’re staying at Bay Lake. If it shuts, we’ll just be buying in more beer and wine and staying in our room instead.
I just bought resale and was looking forward to going to it in June. I would not be surprised to see them do something where DVC owners get the right to book it first, then regular guests. I would imagine access would be during the hours they are not having the fireworks. Even then, perhaps they will close off a section on the balcony and some tables inside and make that the area with free dessert and drinks for package guests

nickys

Premium Member
I just bought resale and was looking forward to going to it in June. I would not be surprised to see them do something where DVC owners get the right to book it first, then regular guests. I would imagine access would be during the hours they are not having the fireworks. Even then, perhaps they will close off a section on the balcony and some tables inside and make that the area with free dessert and drinks for package guests

The package is a DVC perk for direct owners, and specifically includes access for the fireworks.

You can’t book TOTWL, it’s first come, first served on the night. Even if you leave and want to go back up, you have to check in again!

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
The package is a DVC perk for direct owners, and specifically includes access for the fireworks.

You can’t book TOTWL, it’s first come, first served on the night. Even if you leave and want to go back up, you have to check in again!
Is there anything though precluding them from opening it up to non DVC? Just curious. Especially if they wrap it in, well DVC has first dibs.can book 189 days out as opposed to hotel guests at say maybe 60 days out?

correcaminos

Is there anything though precluding them from opening it up to non DVC? Just curious. Especially if they wrap it in, well DVC has first dibs.can book 189 days out as opposed to hotel guests at say maybe 60 days out?
I don't see this happening anytime soon, and if they do open it up to more, I doubt we will have preference. Really I hate planning far out anyway, so I hope they don't start doing anything like this.

All that said, on the official DVC Facebook page, not a group but the actual page for DVC, they had people replying saying that the free access is not being removed. Always subject to availability, but as of this time they are not removing it. They have not updated the DVC website yet to say it's been extended, but I'm not assuming that it's going away based off of what the replies that I saw from DVC.

nickys

Premium Member

There’s some debate as to whether TOTWL is paid for out of dues at Bay Lake. I thought it was, apparently it is open to question because it isn’t listed in the deeds......

DVC certainly lease it from Disney. There was quite an outcry over opening up access to non- BLT DVC members, by those that thought our dues paid for it. Opening it to non-DVC would be even more unpopular. Bay Lake is a DVC resort, in theory non members shouldn’t have open access to the building, hence the card reader on the Contemporary side of the bridge.

Obviously perks can be removed. But I don’t know if there’s a precedent for making a perk a general open-for-all. The Cali Grill has the same view pretty much but is a proper restaurant with a lounge. Making this the cheaper version of a Cali Grill dinner might hit them in the pocket, so personally I wouldn’t expect it.

The same questions exist for Riviera too. Is it a rooftop restaurant with ADRs available for everyone, or is it primarily a DVC Lounge which serves food? We don’t yet know!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We would be surprised if it is totally closed off to all but the people on the dinner package. My wife and I would go up there at least once or twice every trip, and spend more than the price of the package, so they would definitely be losing out in the long run. It's very doubtful that people buying the package would do it more than once per trip. Most probably wouldn't spend another dime on additional and more expensive adult beverages than allowed on the package either.

The only change that we could see is requiring people that come to the lounge to actually buy something. We always witnessed a lot of people that would just show up for the fireworks without purchasing a beverage or snack, then just leave. We would have no problem at all with that requirement, as we go up there for both the adult beverages and good food, and of course, the fireworks.

FCivish3

I could expect that they might restrict top of the world lounge a little bit more, but as long as it is in existence, why would they want it to sit even more empty? As a perk, it benefits them by Helping DVC Members be happy with their investment. Happy DVC members are good business and good advertising for them. If it is costing them a significant amount of money to do it then I could see making attempts to monetize it in return so that they could help defray the cost, but is long as they are doing it anyway why not just let people continue to use it on a first come first serve basis? I don’t see how restricting it would be of any more benefit, unless they decide to just restricted to direct purchasers rather than all DVC Members. If they did that as a perk I could see that they might think that it would help with their sales, though that is debatable.

nickys

Premium Member
I could expect that they might restrict top of the world lounge a little bit more, but as long as it is in existence, why would they want it to sit even more empty? As a perk, it benefits them by Helping DVC Members be happy with their investment. Happy DVC members are good business and good advertising for them. If it is costing them a significant amount of money to do it then I could see making attempts to monetize it in return so that they could help defray the cost, but is long as they are doing it anyway why not just let people continue to use it on a first come first serve basis? I don’t see how restricting it would be of any more benefit, unless they decide to just restricted to direct purchasers rather than all DVC Members. If they did that as a perk I could see that they might think that it would help with their sales, though that is debatable.

They couldn’t restrict it to a perk for direct (and grandfathered) members if it is paid for with dues.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They couldn’t restrict it to a perk for direct (and grandfathered) members if it is paid for with dues.
The lounge is not paid for with dues, and is available only to members that have either bought direct, or are grandfathered in. We had to show our DVC Member card the last time we were there a few months ago. From the DVC web site:

Accessing the Lounge

This perk is available for our Members and their guests. People who are in that Member's traveling party and staying on that Member's reservation are also eligible to visit Top of the World Lounge. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current MagicBand or card in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. A Disney Vacation Club Membership Card is also required to verify Membership.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
The lounge is not paid for with dues, and is available only to members that have either bought direct, or are grandfathered in. We had to show our DVC Member card the last time we were there a few months ago. From the DVC web site:

Accessing the Lounge

This perk is available for our Members and their guests. People who are in that Member's traveling party and staying on that Member's reservation are also eligible to visit Top of the World Lounge. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current MagicBand or card in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. A Disney Vacation Club Membership Card is also required to verify Membership.
Access for resale buyers is allowed. I know I am one and on the card I can print out it has it listed along with pool hopping as the things we can do.
Also this was updated on the other site.
UPDATE: Disney Vacation Club has stated that the Top of the World Lounge will remain available to members outside of this event, but a section will be blocked off to general members for this offering. Related

nickys

Premium Member

Accessing the Lounge

A digital white card that resale buyers get is fine for TOTWL, pool hopping and DVD rentals.

JaxFLBear

From DVCNews.com:
In addition to declaring the last three two-bedroom villas, DVD also formally declared two commercial phases of Bay Lake Tower for the DVC inventory. One phase includes the Cove Bar, which is the bar located next to the BLT pool on the ground level. The other commercial phase contains the Top of the World Lounge on the tower's 16th floor.

By declaring these commercial phases for the DVC inventory, DVD is formally submitting them as part of the Bay Lake Tower leasehold condominium that belongs to the DVC membership. The space being occupied by Cove Bar and the Top of the World Lounge are now considered part of the common areas belonging to all Bay Lake Tower owners.
https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...lt-declared-including-top-fo-the-world-lounge

Since it's a member owned space dues are used to maintain it and because of that, resale purchasers CAN'T be excluded from regular access.

The member dining event is totally different and resale purchasers can be excluded even if that event includes fireworks viewing at BLT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom