Points Reallocation for 2020

YorkshireT

I am a little confused about what is concerning. As far as I remember, the two bedroom booking is always this way. Block off for dedicated, the plants have always been the same amount. The amount for a 2-bedroom has not always equaled a studio and a lock off. Example of a week we go to Old Key West in June, the current points would have 99 for a studio, 199 for a one bedroom, and 269 for a two-bedroom.

The concern seems to be that they can keep applying a premium and increasing the points of studios and 1 beds without necessarily offsetting elsewhere.

correcaminos

The concern seems to be that they can keep applying a premium and increasing the points of studios and 1 beds without necessarily offsetting elsewhere.
You quoted me too fast, I have 2019 points and 2020 point amounts listed after I edited above. So for 2019 they were actually also at a decrease for a two-bedroom vs booking them separately. This is nothing new. Nothing to be concerned over in my opinion since it has always been this way as long as I can remember. They are offsetting the points by decreasing the two bedrooms. They also decreased a lot of the Grand Villas, not all though. Old Key West is the exception this year for that. Grand Villas got an increase. Studios did not always get increase. One bedrooms mostly all did. In other Resorts we saw increases in studios and one-bedrooms. Decreases in two bedrooms and Grand Villas or a bungalow or cabin. So they are offsetting it. It might not be what you would wish they do. However, they are doing this legitimately and not doing anything really that was much different than before as a whole.

eliza61nyc

I'm a bit befuddled. lol

So I own at Beach club.

A one bedroom (which is what we usually get) during our normal vacation time, dream season. actually decreases.

2019 dream 1 week = 255
2020 dream 1 week=250

This really surprises me because star wars land is opening up and I thought that we would really get hit when that came on line.

But the choice season saw an increase.

2019 choice 1 week 211
2020 choice season 1 week = 229 pts.

Same thing happened with the 2 bedrooms.

dream season saw a decrease from 2019 (313 to 311 pts) but choice season saw an uptick (278-291 pts)

correcaminos

I'm a bit befuddled. lol

So I own at Beach club.

A one bedroom (which is what we usually get) during our normal vacation time, dream season. actually decreases.

2019 dream 1 week = 255
2020 dream 1 week=250

This really surprises me because star wars land is opening up and I thought that we would really get hit when that came on line.

But the choice season saw an increase.

2019 choice 1 week 211
2020 choice season 1 week = 229 pts.

Same thing happened with the 2 bedrooms.

dream season saw a decrease from 2019 (313 to 311 pts) but choice season saw an uptick (278-291 pts)
Dream season is not usually the busy time for DVC. Star Wars land opening cannot affect raising points as a whole though. In order to have DVC affected by it the way you are thinking, they would have to raise everything. we often travel during Dream Season as well, and noticed that the points were not necessarily higher as a hole for the Resort's we like to stay in. Except Studios at Polynesian.

As a whole though, Studios went up and one bedrooms went up. Two bedrooms usually went down. This is a generic statement though, because not all Resort saw the same thing even at Walt Disney World locations

eliza61nyc

Dream season is not usually the busy time for DVC. Star Wars land opening cannot affect raising points as a whole though. In order to have DVC affected by it the way you are thinking, they would have to raise everything. we often travel during Dream Season as well, and noticed that the points were not necessarily higher as a hole for the Resort's we like to stay in. Except Studios at Polynesian.

As a whole though, Studios went up and one bedrooms went up. Two bedrooms usually went down. This is a generic statement though, because not all Resort saw the same thing even at Walt Disney World locations

LMAO. I swear Helena I would love to be inside the minds of the folks who come up with these "convoluted" algorithms. Oy Vey

freediverdude

The kerfuffle over on the other board is taking a turn in that someone found language in the contracts that seems to stipulate that disney cannot increase points for one type of vacation home by decreasing points in another. They are only supposed to increase or decrease by taking from another season or another day within the same room type. So we will see how this plays out, doesn't look like they'll just whine and drop the issue at this point.

correcaminos

The kerfuffle over on the other board is taking a turn in that someone found language in the contracts that seems to stipulate that disney cannot increase points for one type of vacation home by decreasing points in another. They are only supposed to increase or decrease by taking from another season or another day within the same room type. So we will see how this plays out, doesn't look like they'll just whine and drop the issue at this point.
Yeah I was reading that too. I sincerely doubt anything will come of this. Sometimes the words people use in common language are not the same meaning as words used in legal language. But we'll see, however I really don't see anything coming up this.

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah I was reading that too. I sincerely doubt anything will come of this. Sometimes the words people use in common language are not the same meaning as words used in legal language. But we'll see, however I really don't see anything coming up this.

I agree. Having read the thread in question, although there are some posters who thinks they see a way that Disney are breaking their own rules, there are three who seem very knowledgeable and have investigated similar issues before, who are saying there is nothing in the deeds etc that prevents the reallocation.

correcaminos

I agree. Having read the thread in question, although there are some posters who thinks they see a way that Disney are breaking their own rules, there are three who seem very knowledgeable and have investigated similar issues before, who are saying there is nothing in the deeds etc that prevents the reallocation.
I can only think of two big oops that were done. One caused IIRC 3 people to be fired. That was the Aulani dues. The other was the OKW extension. Many just singed away or paid but others kind of fought it. More quietly though I think. After the Aulani issue (2011) and OKW fubar (about 3 years prior) I think the lawyers were a bit more on top of things (hence the wording changes for VGF).

Ralphlaw

I just spent about 10 minutes on the DVC website and couldn't find the points charts. Where are they?

By the way, I googled it and found them at wdwinfo.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So looking at this a bit further it looks like as everyone has said, the studio points went up pretty much across the board at all of WDW. Outside of 1 off situations like Bungalows at Poly, the offsets (point decreases) appear to be primarily during the dream and magic seasons in 2 BR and some 1BR units. It also looks like the weekend points are up more than weekdays across the board.

I think this further supports the fact that there is less and less of an “off season” at WDW. Choice season seems to have taken the biggest increases (especially the weekends). Food and wine continues to be a winner and more people seem to look to go for long weekends. Magic season widweek points seem to be the biggest winner. This is/was the standard families with kids vacation season and is also the longest season with the most days. Dream season was next best and also represents more classic family vacation times. Value season was generally neutral to up but not as large increases as choice. I think this all supports the conclusion that there isn’t much of a down time anymore.

I also wonder if allowing people to buy smaller contracts has increased the number of people on shorter stays which naturally drives up weekend demand too. It could also be the steady and deep increases in food and park ticket prices that keeps people from staying full weeks at a time as much.

Janir

When bought into DVC this last Nov, they went out of their way to stress the point increases are offset by decreases in other seasons.

correcaminos

When bought into DVC this last Nov, they went out of their way to stress the point increases are offset by decreases in other seasons.

Here I was told it was total number cannot change. Not just seasons. Also wouldn't explain the SSR reallocation or AKL with the room types changing. Nor would it explain how nights went up and down when they redid the weekends. Sometimes guides suck at explaining which is why research on your own is always wise.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The total number of points cannot change for a resort. They have sold a certain number of points which when added up equals to the point total for all of the DVC available rooms for a year for that resort. I have never seen anything that says they cannot adjust points between room type, season, view or even day of the week as long as the math works. The changes are based on demand and owner trends. I remember when I first bought into BLT there were some rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor center section that were called MK view. I got one once and it bothered me a lot. I and many others complained and during a reallocation they changed the rooms to standard. Since they required less points now year round the point totals had to be adjusted in other categories to make the resort whole.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Bump this

The 2020 reallocation is no longer happening? DVC reversed course and 2020 will follow 2019?

Mess
Yes, this is confirmed. The revised points charts are now up on the site.

Seems several people had conversations with DVC about it and they have decided to reverse the points chart changes.
Good update. Seems like backing down and reversing course is going around today;)

What will people cry about now;)

monothingie

I ❤️ Bob
Premium Member
Good update. Seems like backing down and reversing course is going around today;)

What will people cry about now;)

Reading more into this, it seems like the reallocation scheme implemented for 2020 was illegal. I think it had more to do with the lawyers and less to do with members being vocal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom