News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

jt04

What’s up with it? Aside from wrinkled sides and too much HVAC?

I'd be surprised if Test Track survives much past the 40th anniversary. Too much valuable land there. They could fit a new attraction there and have plenty of space for an event center. Plus being better able to utilize the Odyssey pad. IMO.

CodySewell

I am excited for this attraction, and I cannot wait until we finally see what will be inside this massive show building. Definitely an interesting approach for the exterior, but it is crazy enough to work.

The Empress Lilly

I am excited for this attraction, and I cannot wait until we finally see what will be inside this massive show building. Definitely an interesting approach for the exterior, but it is crazy enough to work.
What is interesting about a sight-line ruining immense show building painted in sky blue to lessen the effect of its own hideousness as much as possible?

The Empress Lilly

@marni1971 Is Test Track supposed to look like that? I would think it would get a lot more complaints but it receives hardly any. If you ask me, that's the real eyesore in the picture.
Sadly I believe TT is fully intended to look like it does. Back when adding clutter was thought to make EPCOT exciting. Now we're stuck with all this ugly clutter defiling this magnificent structure. Shame, as it all but ruins the view of the gorgeous Motion building from nearly all angles, save mainly for the views from WS.

I spend an Illuminations watching the fireworks reflect off this magnificent silver wheel. Beautiful. :inlove:

Kman101

What is interesting about a sight-line ruining immense show building painted in sky blue to lessen the effect of its own hideousness as much as possible?

Some people are genuinely excited.

I'm not.

But many are ;)

I know that's hard for some to grasp.

And some people just have a fascination with construction.

Not all of us are bitter at the direction they're going in.

Heaven forbid we all have different opinions, right? (What you're doing is basically telling someone they're wrong for their opinion; I just complained about the showbuilding for the 100th time ... just let people be sometimes ...)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I didn’t mean horizontal gutters. I meant these.

0516rj_crackthecode_img5.jpg

These would be in lieu of the scuppers some distance away from the parapet (I’m on my phone so I can’t do a sketch and the math to figure out how far away exactly). You still have to do crickets and saddles with thru wall scuppers and doing the slopes out of tapered insulation is nothing out of the ordinary and generally the roofing contractor submits shop drawings and do all their own slope calcs. The detailing isn’t an issue in terms of drawing them I just meant penetrating the panels is an opportunity for leaks, etc. They are going into underground pipe anyway so I just found it interesting they went this route instead of internal drains. Which are super common as well and I think a bit more elegant than exposed scupper and downspouts.

But let’s be honest we are way past elegant solutions in regards to this building. ;)
I mentioned roof drains at the end. You could get away with probably four sets of 8” drains and overflow drains but then your insulation thickness would be crazy. So it’s a lot of roof drains and slopes that need to be well maintained.

I'm not.

But many are ;)

Heaven forbid we all have different opinions, right?
None of that addresses the notion of there being something interesting about this building’s exterior. It’s no different than many other show buildings on property.

Missing20K

I mentioned roof drains at the end. You could get away with probably four sets of 8” drains and overflow drains but then your insulation thickness would be crazy. So it’s a lot of roof drains and slopes that need to be well maintained.
I know you mentioned roof drains, I just never mentioned horizontal gutters so I didn't know where that came into the conversation and thus I thought we were (and apparently were ;)) talking past each other.

Why would you feel the insulation would be any thicker than with thur-wall drainage? Just curious. As far as a I can tell, if you have 4 sets of drains at the parapet, the insulation at the parapet is the thinnest, yes? And if you were to have internal drains than the insulation would be thickest at the parapet. It's just really reversing the system. You still need saddles and crickets in between the thru-wall scuppers. The maintenance of them doesn't change at all. EDIT: Unless they are sloped roof joists, but I thought they were all flat. Discussion is sorta moot if they sloped the members. :D

However, the thoughts about drains failing over show sets is a good point. But I'm sure there are lots of other show buildings with internal drains, no? I'm unaware, genuinely asking.

We do a lot of roof replacement projects for major telecoms and they repair and replace about every 20 years, does anyone know if Disney is on a similar schedule?

The Empress Lilly

I'm not.

But many are ;)

Heaven forbid we all have different opinions, right? (What you're doing is basically telling someone they're wrong for their opinion; I just complained about the showbuilding for the 100th time ... just let people be sometimes ...)
I do not express surprise at the stated excitement for the attraction. I am surprised about thinking the approach to the exterior of this building interesting.

#10,325
I am excited for this attraction, and I cannot wait until we finally see what will be inside this massive show building. Definitely an interesting approach for the exterior

lazyboy97o

I know you mentioned roof drains, I just never mentioned horizontal gutters so I didn't know where that came into the conversation and thus I thought we were (and apparently were ;)) talking past each other.
I did forget that explanation. My first thought was interior gutters to avoid the scuppers. Although I think the better approach would have been to just slope the whole thing to the north and let the water fall. The thing could have have been backstage water feature in the summer storms.

Why would you feel the insulation would be any thicker than with thur-wall drainage? Just curious. As far as a I can tell, if you have 4 sets of drains at the parapet, the insulation at the parapet is the thinnest, yes? And if you were to have internal drains than the insulation would be thickest at the parapet. It's just really reversing the system. You still need saddles and crickets in between the thru-wall scuppers. The maintenance of them doesn't change at all. EDIT: Unless they are sloped roof joists, but I thought they were all flat. Discussion is sorta moot if they sloped the members. :D
The structure is sloped.

Missing20K

I did forget that explanation. My first thought was interior gutters to avoid the scuppers. Although I think the better approach would have been to just slope the whole thing to the north and let the water fall. The thing could have have been backstage water feature in the summer storms.
Just so we are on the same page, when you say interior gutters, you mean open top, horizontal gutters, concealed from the edge? As in, just behind the parapet wall, encircling the roof towards a drain or scupper?
Sorta like this but with a parapet edge condition:
b29ca7c6623cd51bd236f4673df554a4.jpg

The structure is sloped.
Oh, well then this entire drainage pattern is odd. Could have had it all drain to one side.

CodySewell

To me what is interesting is the decision for the building being painted three separate colors. There could have been a lot of theming applied to somewhat match up to the Future World skyline, but no there is just colored walls.

Kman101

None of that addresses the notion of there being something interesting about this building’s exterior. It’s no different than many other show buildings on property.

I never said it was an interesting exterior. I actually complained about it. But I know that goes unnoticed in the attempt at lecturing those who don't share the same concerns.

DisneyDodo

To me what is interesting is the decision for the building being painted three separate colors. There could have been a lot of theming applied to somewhat match up to the Future World skyline, but no there is just colored walls.
This is no surprise, as this is the approach Disney takes with just about every building that guests don't enter/exit from the outside. The UoE building will be the "face" of the GotG ride. They decided to keep the exterior of the building intact because they like the way it looks and believe it fits the vibe of this ride. Most guests will just assume that the building they walk into is the one that houses the ride. The gravity building exists only for logistical reasons. From Disney's perspective, in an ideal world, guests would not know the gravity building even exists, hence the "go-away" color scheme. This is the same approach taken for rides like Soarin and RnRC, among others.

Timothy_Q

Couldn't they have just utilized WoL as the queue for this ride and connected it to UoE so that the actual coaster could have been inside UoE? It would have looked a lot better than the giant box, and it probably would have a similar cost. The only issue would have been the fact that the WoL space would have been unusable for other projects.
A coaster inside UoE would have 10ft drops lol

MickeyMinnieMom

It would have looked a lot better than the giant box, and it probably would have a similar cost.
Meh. I think the concerns about this “giant box” have been overblown, personally, having just been there a few days ago and seeing tweets like these.

It’s huge, but it’s impact on sight lines, etc doesn’t worry me after seeing it for myself with most panels up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom