Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

CJR

I've seen the film twice already, now can you imagine that?

I don't think the film is perfect, but it's great for what it is. Some people won't like this for the same reason some won't like Frozen 2 (no Let it Go). Once you put aside the love of music from the original, this was a fresh adventure, especially when you realize that Disney's last live action movie was The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's a shame I feel nowhere to go but up and trip a little light were some of the finer songs and memorable given my mom was singing both leaving the theater! And for her that's a tough task to get her to remember something on a first viewing! My personal favorite is a cover is not a book given the playful vaudeville feel of it ( and the chicago esk intro don't think I didn't see that rob marshall).

It’s not a shame. I liked the songs a lot. But if you read the reviews - that is frequent complaint - that they are “unmemorable” and they make the move drag.

I didnt think so at all.

The primary downside is the “R” word imho

GiveMeTheMusic

Yeah...I don’t believe that.
There’s more there than that. I would guess it’s her not wanting to have anything to do with a part that’s defining to a level bigger than anything this side of Dorothy.

Poppins was probably one of the 3 most identifiable Disney movies ever. It may not have been about money...but i think it definitely could be about that.

You’re saying that the classiest broad on earth, Dame Julie Andrews, who is also fabulously wealthy, didn’t do a cameo because of money?

Honestly it would have been very distracting to have Andrews in the movie, and it would have severely dampened it and Blunt’s impact.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My favorite part of the movie...

After chastising Michael for the impropriety of asking a woman her age, a few scenes later, someone asks her weight. In just a moment, Mary Poppins' face and eyes goes through shock disbelief, panic, and umbrage. The first time Mary Poppins was speechless. LOL moment. So perfectly done with just a look. *That's* acting.

Rich Brownn

Yeah...I don’t believe that.
There’s more there than that. I would guess it’s her not wanting to have anything to do with a part that’s defining to a level bigger than anything this side of Dorothy.

Poppins was probably one of the 3 most identifiable Disney movies ever. It may not have been about money...but i think it definitely could be about that.

Andrews made it quite clear that was exactly why she turned down the cameo... she didn't want to steal the spotlight. She said (quite rightly) everyone would be waiting for the "real" Mary to show up and not pay attention to Blunt. She said Blunt was a perfect choice (she was right) and respects her talents as an actress. She's a lady with real class.

Rich Brownn

My favorite part of the movie...

chastising Michael for the impropriety of asking a woman her age, a few scenes later, someone asks her weight. In just a moment, Mary Poppins' face and eyes goes through shock disbelief, panic, and umbrage. The first time Mary Poppins was speechless. LOL moment. So perfectly done with just a look. *That's* acting.

Loved that moment. My other favorite:

Michael goes up with the balloon and shouts "I remember everything!"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’re saying that the classiest broad on earth, Dame Julie Andrews, who is also fabulously wealthy, didn’t do a cameo because of money?

Honestly it would have been very distracting to have Andrews in the movie, and it would have severely dampened it and Blunt’s impact.

No...I’m really not. It’s hollywood - so it certainly COULD be about the money. Can’t 100% eliminate it.

But on further review...I think it’s probably just not wanting to “go there” after 55 years. She’s so tied to it I think it’s best to let it be. I can see that angle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Andrews made it quite clear that was exactly why she turned down the cameo... she didn't want to steal the spotlight. She said (quite rightly) everyone would be waiting for the "real" Mary to show up and not pay attention to Blunt. She said Blunt was a perfect choice (she was right) and respects her talents as an actress. She's a lady with real class.

If you believe what people say....you got a 30% chance of being right 😉

...it’s fine the way it turned out. But I’m not sure the bringing AL out of a long retirement wasn’t about trying to steal the show (it was)...so was DVD.

So Dame Andrews efforts are appreciated...but I’m not sure the studio got the memo 🙂

Rich Brownn

If you believe what people say....you got a 30% chance of being right 😉

...it’s fine the way it turned out. But I’m not sure the bringing AL out of a long retirement wasn’t about trying to steal the show (it was)...so was DVD.

So Dame Andrews efforts are appreciated...but I’m not sure the studio got the memo 🙂
AL didn't replace an existing character. And DVD was res-creating a very brief character. No one was saying "Wait till DVD shows up to see the real Bert". But with JA it would have been much much different.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
AL didn't replace an existing character. And DVD was res-creating a very brief character. No one was saying "Wait till DVD shows up to see the real Bert". But with JA it would have been much much different.

But...none of what you say eliminates that they were ok with inserting potential “steal the show” cameos...

And really? You’re going technicality on van dykke tap dancing?

Rich Brownn

But...none of what you say eliminates that they were ok with inserting potential “steal the show” cameos...

And really? You’re going technicality on van dykke tap dancing?
There's a big difference between "steal the show" cameos and "steal the role" cameos. Julie would have been a distraction throiugout the movie. The others were not. Simple. If you don't understand the difference, you obviously don't understand the movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's a big difference between "steal the show" cameos and "steal the role" cameos. Julie would have been a distraction throiugout the movie. The others were not. Simple. If you don't understand the difference, you obviously don't understand the movie.

It’s not that complex...you obviously don’t understand a remake. Yeah...let’s not dance around that.

I just don’t buy the “reasons” for no Andrews. It’s not as though Disney’s PR record is of 100% truth (not even close)

It stood out as a miscalculation TO ME. My take alone.

I think we both liked the movie as it were though...so happy holidays and we move on to the next show ?

mf1972

we saw it last night & enjoyed it. i’ll admit it’s not as good as the original, & the songs aren’t as catchy as well. but in my opinion, it holds its own.
by putting her own spin on it, i thought blunt was good in the role. it was nice to see old animation again. i hope to see it again in the future.
i didn’t expect it to be better than the original, but it kept us entertained. i’m good with that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
we saw it last night & enjoyed it. i’ll admit it’s not as good as the original, & the songs aren’t as catchy as well. but in my opinion, it holds its own.
by putting her own spin on it, i thought blunt was good in the role. it was nice to see old animation again. i hope to see it again in the future.
i didn’t expect it to be better than the original, but it kept us entertained. i’m good with that.

I’ll say...you’re review is near perfect. Completely agree.

Remakes rarely are - ask Kennedy

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I realize some would revoke my pixie-duster membership, but I never thought the original was as great as its reputation. While not perfect, overall, the new film is better than the original.

https://boxd.it/ApNi3

Nah...because of context

The most “identifiable”/resonating Disney movies ever are Snow White, Mary poppins and little mermaid (you can lump beauty and the beast there too)

...for what they defined as an era.

This movie is good...I have to say it’s growing on me....but it can’t tread near the first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom