Trip Report The “lets count the ways Land is greater than World” as seen through the eyes of the #noobsfromgeorgia.

Whelp, this may be a record start of a TR for me. I’m sitting in LAX right now waiting to board and doing my best to put off grading the 30 term papers I need to have done by Monday so why not start this report! There is no true PTR to reference for this trip other than the breadcrumbs I dropped over in the Deja Vu TR. The lowdown is as follows:
The crew: DW, DD, and Myself
IMG_5365.JPG

Lodging: 1 night at Paradise Pier and 4 nights at The Grand Californian.
The plan: 2 days at Disneyland and 2 days at California Adventure in the following order CS/DL/CA/DL

Despite the title, I promise this wont be a dump on WDW TR but it was hard to ignore the things that DL does so dang well. That said, lets do this.

This journey starts with a night at the Holiday Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport-North. We’ve stayed here once before for a Disney trip and had a great experience. What is nice about this place is you get to park your car for the length of the trip just for staying the night at the hotel and they shuttle you to and from the airport. This is especially nice when you have an early flight, which we did. The accommodations are nice enough and serve the purpose.
IMG_4359.JPG

We let yelp help us find dinner and found a fantastic taco stand located in a hole-in-the-wall in the bad side of town. Worth it!
IMG_4361.JPG

As I said before we had to fly out at 06:13 which meant we had to get up early. Andrew W.K woke us up at 04:10 so we could get down to the lobby for the 4:40 shuttle. This was still better than the 3:00 wakeup call we would have had to do if we drove straight from home!
IMG_4362.PNG

My naive mind had me thinking we would be the only folks at Atlanta’s Hartsfield–Action-Jackson- Atlanta International Airport and Spaceport. Yeah, it was hopping!
IMG_4364.JPG

We had a mild wait to get through security and were soon enjoying some bagels at our gate with 30ish minutes to spare.
IMG_4365.JPG

This was our first time flying American and I would absolutely fly them again! The complementary in-flight movies/TV on demand for laptops and iDevices was appreciated and every row had charges to plug your devise in! We got seated and I immediately had to embarrass the kid before watching The Avengers: Half Ya’ll Gonna Die.
IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

IMG_4369.JPG

flynnibus

Premium Member
This was definitely the top two ride at DL and top 3 of the trip. DW kept asking how it compared to WDW and I struggled with this. I just don't feel the rides are the same at all. They are both in the dark and both called Space Mountain but that is about it for the similarities. I also have a soft, nostalgic, spot in my heart for WDW SM and trying to dethrone just isn't going to happen. Again, though, two very different ride experiences to me both of which are great.

They are very different beasts. I think WDW has the better 'bones' in terms of how it was implemented in the park, the original concepts, and a more varied ride experience. Plus the cool ideas like the two tracks... how you pass the ride on the ride, etc. But it has not aged well, and the themeing elements are generally more 'nostalgia' now than pure cool. DL SM on the other hand is a modern coaster experience... fast, smooth, high tech (relative) on-ride effects, a almost completely black out ride experience that really does feel like flying through space. But at the same time, it actually has a very boring coaster layout. Dive, turn... repeat.

WDW almost feels like a traveling carnival ride vs DL being a modern coaster. But at the same time, all the elements in WDW used to just make it stand out as such a package. I do miss the glow in the dark and seeing the ride above you and while on the ride tho. The music and effects on DL SM just make you angry that WDW's has not gotten the refreshes it's little brother got.

DL SM = better on-ride experience.. WDW SM = better icon attraction

And Matterhorn.. it's DL's version of SM neglect. The changes have made it worse, and it really hasn't gotten the modernization it really needs. The newer sleds just punish you with no padding. It got noticeably WORSE after the last sled change... and took away the classic 'two riders in line' experience too.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
The "Batterhorn" really beats you up! I did not ride this time, but my family tells me it is better since the refurb. So you rode the smoother, better version. LOL!

I am really partial to Space Mountain at DL because of the speakers, rider configuration and smooth ride. They completely replaced the track in 2005 and I really think WDW's SM is overdue for a new track. I have nostalgia for DL's Space. I remember when it opened:)

Love that you rode all the dark rides in Fantasyland. I really hope they don't mess with our Mr. Toad. He is not politically correct and we love him for it! Grew up with him as well!
Batterhorn, HA, you nailed it! I'm with ya on not messing with Mr. Toad but I have a feeling the snowflakes will prevail and we will all lose.

They are very different beasts. I think WDW has the better 'bones' in terms of how it was implemented in the park, the original concepts, and a more varied ride experience. Plus the cool ideas like the two tracks... how you pass the ride on the ride, etc. But it has not aged well, and the themeing elements are generally more 'nostalgia' now than pure cool. DL SM on the other hand is a modern coaster experience... fast, smooth, high tech (relative) on-ride effects, a almost completely black out ride experience that really does feel like flying through space. But at the same time, it actually has a very boring coaster layout. Dive, turn... repeat.

WDW almost feels like a traveling carnival ride vs DL being a modern coaster. But at the same time, all the elements in WDW used to just make it stand out as such a package. I do miss the glow in the dark and seeing the ride above you and while on the ride tho. The music and effects on DL SM just make you angry that WDW's has not gotten the refreshes it's little brother got.

And Matterhorn.. it's DL's version of SM neglect. The changes have made it worse, and it really hasn't gotten the modernization it really needs. The newer sleds just punish you with no padding. It got noticeably WORSE after the last sled change... and took away the classic 'two riders in line' experience too.
Great take on it. I cant imagine Matterhorn being worse, though!

So we turned the bend and came upon BTN. At first glance I thought this was going to be a mirror experience of WDW...nope! He was another example of how well a ride's theme and experience can be great compared to the watered down WDW version.
IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

IMG_4853.JPG

The highlight has to be the tunnel exploding as you pass through it. The effects in this section of the ride are excellent and really add to story. Honestly, how hard would it be for WDW to up their game just a hair to add this effect to orlando? Such a great ride.
IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4855.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster
As we left BTM we noticed they had a cart out distributing FPs for Fantasmic. What was nice about these is FPs is they didn't count against your current FP allotment or timing. We grabbed a set in the event we wanted to catch the show tonight.
IMG_4857.JPG

We continued on and PotC was to be next on our itinerary. No FP option for this ride but the standby was only 15 so no biggie!
IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

Almost immediately we were loving this ride and were still in the queue.
IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4861.JPG

We got to see Blue Bayou, where we would be dining later tonight, from the queue and the ride.
IMG_4862.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Sooooo, yeah, DL PotC > WDW PotC it just is, there is no comparison really. I thought the nostalgic side of me would put up a bigger fight for the WDW version but it just didn't stand a chance. Another theme we began to notice was how efficient DL CMs were at ride loading. They were really impressive at their job.
IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

As we exited we got to enjoy some pirate limericks.
IMG_4880.JPG

CaliKris

I really thought WDW was getting the new additions to Big Thunder during its last big refurb. I don't get it.

I have been told I am biased when I say DL Pirates>WDW Pirates. So glad you agree! We were really disappointed when we rode WDW Pirates the first time. I do like the queue better at WDW, however. Did you see the hidden Goofy in the rock formation on POTC?

However, Shanghai Pirates >>>DL Pirates >WDW Pirates.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
I have been told I am biased when I say DL Pirates>WDW Pirates.
Bias or not, its a fact.
Did you see the hidden Goofy in the rock formation on POTC?
I did not, there was so much to see. This will just give me something to look for the next time we make it out there.

Earlier we had made a FP for Indy and our window had now opened. I was worried about getting this ride in after hearing about it going down a lot and even today it was down a bit. Thankfully we got several rides in. The queue for this ride is well themed and had some fun interactive features. The preshow film with Sallah was pretty funny too. This was a fun ride and when all the effects are working it really is amazing. About a fourth of our rides had everything working otherwise there were a few effects that did not fire or work. Still, a half working Indy was more entertaining than Dinosour.
IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4882.JPG

IMG_4883.JPG

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG

imahistorygeek

I can handle that DL>WDW on Pirates but what I want to know is.....Does it smell the same? There's just something about that smell.

It smells better, IMO. WDW is a damp, musty smell. WDW Pirates has never been a favorite scent. DL, specifically the pirate ship scene seems to have a nicer (I can't think of the right word) smell. It smells more ocean-y.

Zipadeelady

It smells like bromine :hilarious:
I guess that's better than the damp, musty smell but for some reason my daughter loves the smell of Pirates. For me it brings back memories. I should've mentioned in my post above that she's the one that loves it. She would miss it in the DL version if we ever made it to CA.

Ariel1986

Sooooo, yeah, DL PotC > WDW PotC it just is, there is no comparison really. I thought the nostalgic side of me would put up a bigger fight for the WDW version but it just didn't stand a chance. Another theme we began to notice was how efficient DL CMs were at ride loading. They were really impressive at their job.
View attachment 334172
View attachment 334173
View attachment 334174
View attachment 334175
View attachment 334176
View attachment 334177
View attachment 334178
View attachment 334179

As we exited we got to enjoy some pirate limericks.
View attachment 334180

DL Pirates is definitely better than WDW! And it's similar to DL Paris' version, which is where I grew up going to- so I also got the nostalgia kick the first time we went to DL. So DL gets extra points for me! (Paris also has WDW's que- best of both worlds!). I'm pretty sure Shanghai may top DL whenever we get to try that one though.

This report is making me want to book DL again sooner than later.

CaliKris

DL Pirates is definitely better than WDW! And it's similar to DL Paris' version, which is where I grew up going to- so I also got the nostalgia kick the first time we went to DL. So DL gets extra points for me! (Paris also has WDW's que- best of both worlds!). I'm pretty sure Shanghai may top DL whenever we get to try that one though.

Yes! Pirates in Paris is awesome! I don't remember the smell, however.

Shanghai Pirates is really a completely different ride system and can't be compared. Don't remember a smell there either.

I think the smell is musty, bromine water with Blue Bayou and fog machines mixed in. You are going underground in DL, so there isn't much fresh air in there. Love the smell!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Its making me want to go back sooner too! We're pretty sure we wont renew our APs this year but our plan was to use the AP money to cruise more but maybe we should DL more instead?:geek:

You can now legally join the legions that simple roll their eyes when someone tells you how awesome Dinosaur is :)
I'm in! What will be interesting is how I feel in 2 weeks when we return to WDW. What was left of my rose colored pixie glasses is pretty much gone now.

Its proximity to Indy and a 20 minute wait made Jungle Cruise an obvious next ride and our Touring Plans agreed.
IMG_4892.JPG

The queue is cute and has as much if not more unique items to see while you wait for your boat.
IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

The ride for the most party is very familiar and the skipper's one liners were similar to what we would find on the east coast. I would say both JCs are pretty much equivalent with the queue theming going to DL.
IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4897.JPG

The ladies were hankering for some food when we disembarked our boat. Thankfully some good eats were just across the way.
IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

We researched Bengel Barbeque before heading out on this trip and were excited to to try it. We didnt want a full blown lunch yet since it was still early so we tried the beef skewer and the hummus trio. The beef was excellent and some nice heat that sneaks up on you. The hummus, once it thawed out, was very good as well. Unfortunately for us I think they stored the hummus to far back in the cooler and it was slightly frozen. We would revisit BB in a couple days to try more of the menu.
IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

CaliKris

Bengal Barbecue is our "go to" light lunch or snack. The price is right, food is good and it never seems to be too crowded. They just added indoor seating in 2017 and it seems like people still don't know about it.

I think you definitely need to return to DL in 2019 for SWGE and World of Color.

I hope it wasn't too cold for you to ride Splash. I am interested to read what you thought compared to WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm in! What will be interesting is how I feel in 2 weeks when we return to WDW. What was left of my rose colored pixie glasses is pretty much gone now.

I think you will find there are portions that WDW does that simply have no equal to DL because of the different approaches and you'll still love both. But what does come off is much of the forgiving of slacking off, or mediocre versions of similar things. Like F!, Dinosaur, transportation overhead, crappy looking monorails, etc.

Neither of the parks is universally better than the other - and that's one big benefit of the different approach they took with WDW as a resort vs just building the DL v2. But it is likely you will look at the MK in a much lower way after being swooned by the 1983 fantasyland, the IASW facade, Indy, F!, the sheer DENSITY and attraction count, no scheduling 6 months out, etc etc.

TL : DR - your tolerance for crap will probably go down when you toy in your brain about visiting alternatives vs just rolling over and taking it. But you'll still find things that will make you want to visit WDW... virtually every "WDW was my first" Disney fan does.

imahistorygeek

First impressions of SM: Its awesome as all get out!

I just don't feel the rides are the same at all. They are both in the dark and both called Space Mountain but that is about it for the similarities. One thing that could be improved upon, IMO, is the music they play in the ride vehicles. The ladies really liked it but I felt it sounded like music from the Tom Cruise versions of Mission Impossible. It just didn't fit right. What did fit was the beginning of the ride! The visual effect of the spinning chamber was just fantastic.

SM was an awesome ride. I loved the smooth track and really enjoyed the music. I felt as though it added that "something special" to the ride. The timing of the music and the ride in one particular spot was particularly impressive. I think there is a section of dissonance in the music when you ascend a hill in order to "take off." If gives you that slightly uncomfortable feeling because you are about to go out in to the unknown.

My take: DL SM > WDW SM - we will see if that changes during out next visit to WDW.

Yes, I agree.

Sooooo, yeah, DL PotC > WDW PotC it just is, there is no comparison really. Another theme we began to notice was how efficient DL CMs were at ride loading. They were really impressive at their job.

This was such a great ride. I see what Disney can do with rides, and it does make me a bit miffed Disney kinda phoned it in at WDW, especially with POTC. CMs at Disney were efficient. It was our experience that they were not over friendly, but they were good at their jobs.

My take: DL POTC >>> WDW POTC

Its making me want to go back sooner too! We're pretty sure we wont renew our APs this year but our plan was to use the AP money to cruise more but maybe we should DL more instead?:geek:

We researched Bengel Barbeque before heading out on this trip and were excited to to try it. We didnt want a full blown lunch yet since it was still early so we tried the beef skewer and the hummus trio. The beef was excellent and some nice heat that sneaks up on you. The hummus, once it thawed out, was very good as well.

More cruises or more DLR??? It's a tough decision. Maybe other Disney parks?? Whatever we decide, it's been a fun experience to explore Disney's offerings.

Bengal BBQ y'all. I had read good reviews and wanted to try it. We were not disappointed. Even the kid wanted to go back. If you're into hummus, the platter was so good. I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but DLR food QS (for the most part) >> WDW QS.

I was really looking forward to the Indy ride. I've been an Indiana Jones fan since I watched the movies as a kid. I wanted to be an archeologist. I've watched the movies a gazillion times...except Crystal Skull. It doesn't count. It was a great ride.

I think you definitely need to return to DL in 2019 for SWGE and World of Color. I hope it wasn't too cold for you to ride Splash. I am interested to read what you thought compared to WDW.

I was disappointed World of Color was not happening for this trip, but this just gives us an excuse to return.

Unfortunately, we did not ride Splash Mountain. I'm not sure why. Another reason we need to return.

TL : DR - your tolerance for crap will probably go down when you toy in your brain about visiting alternatives vs just rolling over and taking it. But you'll still find things that will make you want to visit WDW... virtually every "WDW was my first" Disney fan does.

Our naivety stemmed from only experiencing WDW. Don't get me wrong, WDW is great. I love the parks and resorts and there are so many things to do. I believe it also comes from a mindset of how large WDW is and how can anything smaller possibly have some better attractions/experiences?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom