News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

DanielBB8

Guaranteed success does not imply cheap either. The more money is the bigger risk since higher Return On Investment is expected. It is more risky for another company to license an IP since money was already spent before any attractions were built. With Star Wars and Marvel, Billions were spent to acquire the IP. BATB is less risk since Disney originated the hit, yet they took a huge risk by making the live action movie. Poor box office would have affected it’s viability as a theme park property.

SuddenStorm

Notice how all of the IPs in the expansion- Star Wars, Marvel, Frozen- are Disney's biggest IPs right now. They are a 95% guarantied success for Cheapek. Beauty and the Beast is a property the general public doesn't care for. Sure the remake made $1 billion, but it's something that was a "watch and done". It was popular when it came out, but no one talks about it now.

Uh, "the general public doesn't care for" and "the remake made $1billion" are two contradictory statements.

Beauty and the beast is universally beloved, not sure where the "the public doesn't care" idea comes from.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree, it seems to me it was Lasseter's mission to make sure there was some Pixer playland type place in almost every park. Now that he is gone hopefully some of that will revert back over time.

While true it was a sop for Lasseter, I would think that it's unlikely to be undone anytime soon, or the practice to go away.

Since Disney isn't devouring Pixar, but letting it stand as a separate brand, then it's going to promote "Pixar™" like it promotes "Disney Princesses™". And they'd be crazy not to, considering how well that brand performs with customers and with revenue.

With the mandate for IP synergy in the parks, there's eventually not going to be any attraction left that isn't connected to an IP. So, if they were to de-Pixar the Pier, then it would be to only add some other IP, such as Dumbo's circus.

When people were advocating for a Pixar Land in DHS, I'd be arguing against it since "Pixar" isn't a theme. But they were all doing mental gymnastics to make it fit. Well, there's now a Pixar Land in DCA. On top of that poor overall theme, it was implemented very shoddily and cheaply. And it looks like DHS is slowly gaining a Pixar Land with Metroville and a Cars attraction and a Monsters M&G orbiting Toy Story Land.

If Disney can learn the lesson of Cars Land and Toy Story Land and make a 'land' based on a single, good Pixar IP, it can continue to do good. But if they're going to clump disparate Pixar IPs together to make a "Pixar Land", then we're going to hold onto and keep getting more "Pixar Piers" unfortunately.

britain

We're going to be stuck with Pixar Pier a long time, but that doesn't mean little improvements can't be made.

What are Pixar Pier's greatest sins? I think it's the Incredicoaster corner-cutting, and the cheap wrappings on some of the food stands.

I think there is a better than average chance that there will be an Incredibles 3 within 5 years time, at which point TDA would be willing to crack open the purse a bit to give Incredicoaster a refreshing to tie with the new film. I bet Jack-Jack on a stick will be removed as part of the process.

The food stands can be given better skins (like they were back in 2010-ish) for a modest budget. Again, TDA won't do it without a special occasion to tie it to. Perhaps some chicken related IP will save us in the future.

mickEblu

We're going to be stuck with Pixar Pier a long time, but that doesn't mean little improvements can't be made.

What are Pixar Pier's greatest sins? I think it's the Incredicoaster corner-cutting, and the cheap wrappings on some of the food stands.

I think there is a better than average chance that there will be an Incredibles 3 within 5 years time, at which point TDA would be willing to crack open the purse a bit to give Incredicoaster a refreshing to tie with the new film. I bet Jack-Jack on a stick will be removed as part of the process.

The food stands can be given better skins (like they were back in 2010-ish) for a modest budget. Again, TDA won't do it without a special occasion to tie it to. Perhaps some chicken related IP will save us in the future.

If they could fix those scream tunnels too that would great. I hate the lit up stripes and how they look like straws. The vista of the pier definitely took a step backwards.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
While true it was a sop for Lasseter, I would think that it's unlikely to be undone anytime soon, or the practice to go away.

Since Disney isn't devouring Pixar, but letting it stand as a separate brand, then it's going to promote "Pixar™" like it promotes "Disney Princesses™". And they'd be crazy not to, considering how well that brand performs with customers and with revenue.

With the mandate for IP synergy in the parks, there's eventually not going to be any attraction left that isn't connected to an IP. So, if they were to de-Pixar the Pier, then it would be to only add some other IP, such as Dumbo's circus.

When people were advocating for a Pixar Land in DHS, I'd be arguing against it since "Pixar" isn't a theme. But they were all doing mental gymnastics to make it fit. Well, there's now a Pixar Land in DCA. On top of that poor overall theme, it was implemented very shoddily and cheaply. And it looks like DHS is slowly gaining a Pixar Land with Metroville and a Cars attraction and a Monsters M&G orbiting Toy Story Land.

If Disney can learn the lesson of Cars Land and Toy Story Land and make a 'land' based on a single, good Pixar IP, it can continue to do good. But if they're going to clump disparate Pixar IPs together to make a "Pixar Land", then we're going to hold onto and keep getting more "Pixar Piers" unfortunately.

When I say revert back over time, I'm not to say it will be done overnight, but rather during the normal course of land refreshes (probably on a 10 year refresh cycle at this point). And more specifically I was talking about DCA rather than all Disney Parks worldwide. So my opinion is that in 10 years Pixar Pier (and really that isn't that far away) will be updated again to something else. Could they go further down the rabbit hole with Pixar, of course. But I'm thinking they won't.

Disneylover152

It certainly is an interesting time to be a fan of Disney parks. I wonder how the late 2010s will be looked at in a few decades. On one hand, we have crap like Pixar Pier, Hong Kong's new castle, and Mission Breakout, but on the other hand, we have highly themed lands and attractions like Pandora, Shanghai Disneyland, Galaxy's Edge, and the BatB ride in Tokyo. This is all just kinda odd if you ask me. Historically, we've either been in a cheap era such as the late 90s and early 2000s (DCA 1.0, gutting of Journey Into Imagination) or a prosperous era like the 1980s (Tokyo Disneyland, EPCOT Center, MGM). The past few years and most likely the next few years are kind of a combination of both.

I feel like this would be known as the "play it safe" era. Everything that has been or will be built is a guarantied success in Disney's eyes.

BrianLo

To be fair, I think people who were suggesting a "Pixar Land" for DHS were essentially envisioning the Pixar Version of Tokyo Disney Seas' Upcoming Fantasy Springs.

I.e. a series of micro lands, all of which are actually good.

In a version of Hollywood Studios where each land would be dedicated to an actual Studio, it sort of was a viable theme.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be fair, I think people who were suggesting a "Pixar Land" for DHS were essentially envisioning the Pixar Version of Tokyo Disney Seas' Upcoming Fantasy Springs.

I.e. a series of micro lands, all of which are actually good.

In a version of Hollywood Studios where each land would be dedicated to an actual Studio, it sort of was a viable theme.

Wait, are you saying that different Pixar IPs would get their own mini-land, or that DHS would get a Pixar mini-land?

Kman101

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but despite the negative opinions of the hardcore DLR fans here, Chepek's division is on a roll. From a recent NYT article:

"For the 2018 fiscal year, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts had an operating profit of $4.5 billion, an increase of more than 100 percent from five years earlier. For comparison, Disney Media Networks, home to ESPN and ABC, had a profit of $6.6 billion, a 3 percent decline. "

In general the public loves what Disney is doing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...a/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html

Very late to this, sorry. But wanted to say it's sad but true. And it seems Pixar Pier is more popular to the general public. But it's also new. Let's see where it is 5-10 years from now, if it lasts that long.

Kman101

Not surprising, but it still sucks. Luxo Junior was literally the only thing I liked about Pixar Pier. Won't be surprised if it's completely static within a month.

Did they borrow the one that had briefly been in DHS? lol

Static already?

It's so bizarre how this entire overlay is being done in pieces. Let's wait a few months and unveil Bing Bong. Let's have Luxo under cover for a week or two. Let's not put a real working sign on Lamplight Lounge for the first few months ... let's wait a year and take our time re-doing the Carousel and re-theming Flik's .... sigh

Anaheim seems to be falling more and more under the WDW way of doing things.

Last edited:

TROR

I’m surprised people honestly defend Pixar Pier. Even though Mission Breakout lacks any artistic integrity and is very much a downgrade from Tower of Terror, I understand why people like it. With Pixar Pier, it seems the only reason people defend it is because they hate the “Walt right” as they call them and must defend everything Disney to counterbalance their cynical hate. It’s bizarre. I mean, really, look at Pixar Pier. It has a couple of arguable upgrades but even those are half heartedly done. The Incredicoaster is no upgrade. The Games of the Boardwalk have been changed for the worst. Pixar Fun Wheel isn’t an improvement over Mickey. Other changes didn't even open on top. I could go on here, but what is there to even defend? It’s such a bad job by Disney and reeks of the same mentality that brought forth DCA in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom