Trip Report *COMPLETED*A quick trip and a first time trip report

Hi everyone! I've been enjoying WDW trip reports on here for a few months since my sister-in-law @krisri18 introduced me to this site. I decided to write a trip report so I could help beat the blues when we get back and as a way to get information from the experts on here! (Though admittedly, having an in-law expert in @krisri18 means that most of my questions can be answered with a quick text message!)

This trip is a VERY QUICK, two night, three-day trip coming up in THREE DAYS!!!

Who: Me (V), my husband (Z) and our girls L and E

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_404189521560.JPG

(This was August 2017 with our boy, Mickey)

What: A very short trip!
When: December 14-16
Where: Wilderness Lodge (the only way I can justify this to my husband or to myself is because it's only 2 nights)
Why: I had been considering Mickey's Backyard BBQ for future trips when word got out that it was closing this year. I half-joked with my husband that we should just go down for a weekend so we could do it before it closes. Plus I really wanted to stay at WL around Christmas time. Z is not as big a fan of Disney as I am. Plus we are planning an August 2019 trip. I'm still not entirely sure how I talked him into this. But I did! All so we could see WL decorations and try Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

The Plan
Friday December 14
Early flight. ME to WL. Rest as much as humanly possible. Either in the room, if it's ready, or by the pool or at Geyser Point.
MVMCP!!!
FP for Big Thunder at 3:25-4:25 (so we are booking it over when we get let in at 4:00!) Mine and L's favorite.
FP for Jingle Cruise 4:30-5:30
FP for Splash Mountain 5:30-6:00 (a family favorite - please let it be warm enough!)
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8085754460.jpeg

E looks scared, but she went on this multiple times during our last trip and really liked it!

After our fast passes, our plans are to check out Moana's line (we have a limit on how long we'll wait, but E and I love her), see the first parade (E likely won't make it to the 11:00 one), fireworks, maybe some stage shows, maybe visit the princesses with their princes, maybe hit up some rides with shorter lines. I predict E and Z won't make it the whole night. We'll see, but I know L is determined to stay to 12:00! I'm right there with her if she does. :)

This brings me to my first question! It's looking like rain all day and night Friday. What closes/cancels for the parties in bad weather? I need to set expectations for the kids (and myself).

Saturday, December 15
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon
Disney Springs for Christmas Tree Trail and meeting Santa
Pool time (hopefully)
Mickey's Backyard BBQ!
Possibly walk through Fort Wilderness to see Christmas decorations, or maybe a sleigh ride? Undecided. Have to see how wiped out we are.

Sunday, December 16
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon (we'll see if we want to go back a second time or just do quick service)
Possibly some morning pool time
Pack up :cry:
Leave bags with Bell services and resort hop to see decorations. We need to do GF and Poly (Z needs a spikey pineapple).
Uber over to Beach Club - Beaches & Cream ADR for 12:30 (We'll see if we keep this. We want to try it but may end up wanting to stay closer to WL).
TE to the airport for a late flight out.
Cry on the airplane and start counting down to August 2019.

Another question: any favorite quick service places on the monorail loop in case we decide not to head over to BC?

krisri18

Hi everyone! I've been enjoying WDW trip reports on here for a few months since my sister-in-law @krisri18 introduced me to this site. I decided to write a trip report so I could help beat the blues when we get back and as a way to get information from the experts on here! (Though admittedly, having an in-law expert in @krisri18 means that most of my questions can be answered with a quick text message!)

This trip is a VERY QUICK, two night, three-day trip coming up in THREE DAYS!!!

Who: Me (V), my husband (Z) and our girls L and E

View attachment 332661
(This was August 2017 with our boy, Mickey)

What: A very short trip!
When: December 14-16
Where: Wilderness Lodge (the only way I can justify this to my husband or to myself is because it's only 2 nights)
Why: I had been considering Mickey's Backyard BBQ for future trips when word got out that it was closing this year. I half-joked with my husband that we should just go down for a weekend so we could do it before it closes. Plus I really wanted to stay at WL around Christmas time. Z is not as big a fan of Disney as I am. Plus we are planning an August 2019 trip. I'm still not entirely sure how I talked him into this. But I did! All so we could see WL decorations and try Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

The Plan
Friday December 14
Early flight. ME to WL. Rest as much as humanly possible. Either in the room, if it's ready, or by the pool or at Geyser Point.
MVMCP!!!
FP for Big Thunder at 3:25-4:25 (so we are booking it over when we get let in at 4:00!) Mine and L's favorite.
FP for Jingle Cruise 4:30-5:30
FP for Splash Mountain 5:30-6:00 (a family favorite - please let it be warm enough!)
View attachment 332662
E looks scared, but she went on this multiple times during our last trip and really liked it!

After our fast passes, our plans are to check out Moana's line (we have a limit on how long we'll wait, but E and I love her), see the first parade (E likely won't make it to the 11:00 one), fireworks, maybe some stage shows, maybe visit the princesses with their princes, maybe hit up some rides with shorter lines. I predict E and Z won't make it the whole night. We'll see, but I know L is determined to stay to 12:00! I'm right there with her if she does. :)

This brings me to my first question! It's looking like rain all day and night Friday. What closes/cancels for the parties in bad weather? I need to set expectations for the kids (and myself).

Saturday, December 15
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon
Disney Springs for Christmas Tree Trail and meeting Santa
Pool time (hopefully)
Mickey's Backyard BBQ!
Possibly walk through Fort Wilderness to see Christmas decorations, or maybe a sleigh ride? Undecided. Have to see how wiped out we are.

Sunday, December 16
Breakfast at Whispering Canyon (we'll see if we want to go back a second time or just do quick service)
Possibly some morning pool time
Pack up :cry:
Leave bags with Bell services and resort hop to see decorations. We need to do GF and Poly (Z needs a spikey pineapple).
Uber over to Beach Club - Beaches & Cream ADR for 12:30 (We'll see if we keep this. We want to try it but may end up wanting to stay closer to WL).
TE to the airport for a late flight out.
Cry on the airplane and start counting down to August 2019.

Another question: any favorite quick service places on the monorail loop in case we decide not to head over to BC?
Pretty sure Capt Cook's at the Poly would be a win just for the pulled pork nachos

NessNewt

Original Poster
Hoping you have warm weather!!!
And a great time! Can’t wait to read all about it.

Thanks! Z was checking today's weather in Orlando this morning. I commented that it didn't sound that warm. Then he reminded me how cold it is here right now, lol. Warm would be great, but we'll take "not freezing"!

NessNewt

Original Poster
Hope the party is fun! We never did the Backyard BBQ, but it did look cute. We’re a Hoop Dee Doo family.

I alway imagine going down for just a weekend. I’m glad you were able to make it happen!

I think my husband and I would like Hoop Dee Doo, but I think my kids won't really appreciate it until they're older. One day we'll try it!

RememberWhen

I think my husband and I would like Hoop Dee Doo, but I think my kids won't really appreciate it until they're older. One day we'll try it!
We took DS for the first time when he was 2. He laughed and laughed. Watching him him was better than the show. We’ll be there soon with his 19 month old sister well see what she thinks.

NessNewt

Original Poster
We took DS for the first time when he was 2. He laughed and laughed. Watching him him was better than the show. We’ll be there soon with his 19 month old sister well see what she thinks.
You’d be surprised - we went for the first time when DD was 6 and at the time her English was only so-so. She LOVED it and when she knew we were returning 2 years later she asked to go back.

That's really good to know! Maybe my girls will like it!

Spash007

When we were in MCO on Saturday, security was awful. They had us in what I can only describe as a holding area (like the HM's sinking room), until they corralled us into lines. We lucked out that the just opened another line right when we got corralled and went through in *only* 40 minutes. One of the TSA agents even said this wasn't that bad, usually the line goes way further back. All I kept thinking of was the video on the TE that says how the Orlando experience continues into MCO and it's one of the best airports in the country.

NessNewt

Original Poster
When we were in MCO on Saturday, security was awful. They had us in what I can only describe as a holding area (like the HM's sinking room), until they corralled us into lines. We lucked out that the just opened another line right when we got corralled and went through in *only* 40 minutes. One of the TSA agents even said this wasn't that bad, usually the line goes way further back. All I kept thinking of was the video on the TE that says how the Orlando experience continues into MCO and it's one of the best airports in the country.

Yes! The "holding area" - that was horrendous. I also thought about the TE video which spoke so highly of the experience at MCO. I think it took us about an hour to get through. My oldest was crying. I felt like crying myself!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom