The Star of the Matterhorn

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
The star that used to top the Matterhorn was an annual Christmas tradition that started 1961 and ended sometime around 1972 due to the energy crisis. It was rumored to come back for Disneyland’s 60th, but that never happened. I’ll end this off with a few photos showing the star of the Matterhorn:
FFB3FA72-7684-4512-9D45-2C104564A4F6.png
898ECA02-32D5-46E6-A014-7DF7C746534A.jpeg
52CB6A30-B650-4CBA-8D23-6CB79EAC2A16.jpeg
D320E3D2-6238-4A0A-BF14-BAFD03803574.jpeg
81ADCE7D-1814-42EE-9515-7CDFBB462318.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Growing up two miles from the park in the 1960s, this star was part of my childhood, along with "Fantasy on Parade" with the goofy reindeers, the butterfly dancers breaking out of the caterpillar float, the "glock" (glockenspiel) girls surrounding Santa, and the alphabet train spelling out "The End" releasing balloons. Going to Disneyland at xmastime was a family tradition. By the early '70s there were free shopping passes weekdays in early December. Oh, and the Dickens Carolers. My favorite. With the original Disney arrangements, not the Derric Johnson charts that Voices of Liberty sings today at WDW (I worked for Derric and I loved his Re'Generation xmas albums, but I miss the old Disney songs). I don't miss the white-flocked xmas trees with blue ornaments in the castle moat, but you can't have everything.

I still remember driving up the freeway and looking for the star.

SuddenStorm

Disney should get rid of all the junk it puts on the castle this time of year (those icicles and snow look so ridiculous) and bring back the two trees it used to put in front.

Perhaps my impression is wrong, since I wasn't around for it- but from what I've seen the Christmas celebration pre 2000's was far more tasteful and classy than what Disneyland currently does.

daronlif

Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but how much energy could it have used to warrant the demise?

I don't think it was the actual power consumption, it was the visibility of something that was definitely an extra. If you get rid of the more obvious "problems", people are more likely to overlook the other, often more legitimate, issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom