News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

lazyboy97o

There is a reason almost no ride (with the exception of Transformers, and that was a hold-over from California, and the underground is maintenance) has underground portions in Florida.
This isn’t even close to true. Many attraction facilities have basements.

Now, say they did want to build their very first subterranean roller coaster and sunk it a story, two stories down. This coaster has a massive footprint - one of the largest pours Disney has done. The removal of the dirt alone would be prohibitively expensive for an already expensive project. Not to mention the thousands of man-hours that would now need to be put in to engineer solutions to all the problems that would arise from the building being built below the water table. Reinforced walls, protection from flooding, pumps to get any water out that may get in - just a nightmare. Maintenance would constantly have to worry about an increased risk of flooding and water damage, alongside the upkeep that normally comes with coaster operation.
What you describe pretty much fallls under typic architectural services. It is nothing outlandish. Being service areas is irrelevant as the waterproofing needs don’t change and it’s not likely that all or any of the exterior walls and floors of the current building will be finished.

Finally, a themed building. This would be unique, as it'd be something that could be seen from half the park. Using "abstract geometry" and "a simple form and finish" may not be enough for a building of this prominence. Even the solution of painting it right now has found that a single color isn't even enough.

Going the themed route would be difficult - you'd have to find something future-worldy enough, but also not anything that would be too crazy while in the World Showcase. You'd also have the issue that the majority of the building is covered by other buildings and shrubbery while in FW. Really, the best views of it are in the parking lot and on the opposite side of the world showcase. So they spend all these resources theming a building when the theming can only be useful from a distance.
Again, pretty standard architectural services. Theming doesn’t have to be a bunch of crap glued to the exterior. It can just be an simple form with simple materials and still have visual interest.

yensidtlaw1969

I may still be “doing Disney” though. :)

There’s a new Phantom Manor to see (if they ever finish it) and perhaps a galaxy further away than the one in Orlando too.
Can I ask, at the risk of derailing the thread, what is going ON at Phantom Manor?? I'm very excited to see what they're doing, but the changes in timeline have me totally mystified . . . just how much are they doing to this ride?

Missing20K

What you describe pretty much fallls under typic architectural services. It is nothing outlandish. Being service areas is irrelevant as the waterproofing needs don’t change and it’s not likely that all or any of the exterior walls and floors of the current building will be finished.

Water, the bane of all buildings.
Again, pretty standard architectural services. Theming doesn’t have to be a bunch of crap glued to the exterior. It can just be an simple form with simple materials and still have visual interest.
Spaceship-Earth_Full_11149.jpg

voodoo321

From what I gather, virtually everything.

Good. It needed it. I think they did a good job on the Pirates rehab in Paris other than the digital screen fire effects and obviously the auction scene change. At least the dialogue isn't as cringeworthy to me since I don't understand French much.

I sympathize. We have no desire to go back to WDW for a long long time either. We generally went at least once a year. Many big and small factors about how the place is operated and the overall change in atmosphere of the resort in general feel negative to me. The magic is gone.

It is easy to say that a Guardians coaster in a big box will be better than Ellen but that didn't need to be the only other option. What is the planned theme for FutureWorld? Change isn't bad, but make it make some sense at least.

sedati

When does an attraction begin? Is it the moment you step onto a moving vehicle or the show starts? I think in the past that was true.

For all of you pining for the EPCOT Center of old, think of how engaged you feel slowly moving through the Living with the Land queue and you'll know how these rides handled their act ones. I remember thinking how The Living Seas queue stood out at the park as it wasn't a switchback and there was actually stuff to look at while you waited (besides a mural or carpeted walls.)

For myself, once immersed in the theme and story of an attraction, I feel we've begun. Nowadays that happens well before the (short) ride, at least with the bigger attractions. If the Flight of Passage queue was navigated by a slow moving omnimover with a dry narration telling me what I was looking at- you've basically got something on par in breath and scope of an EPCOT Center attraction (albeit with only one animatronic, but that garden area between the waterfalls and floating mountains trumps all as far as I'm concerened.)

Tower of Terror is a great example. From the time the tower looms over me in the garden I feel like I'm in it. I'm not only fully engaged, but am absorbing the story. The lobby and boiler rooms are more show-scene than holding pen. The ride itself is short, but my sense of attraction time is considerably longer.

Outside of the argument of location, I'll say once the Guardians's queue has me fully immersed in that world and the story begins to unfold, I'll likely consider myself on the attraction.

sedati

Just to toot my own horn (though please let me know if anyone beat me to it) back on September 7th I speculated:
Blog Mickey has some new pics of the tunnel structure going up:
http://blogmickey.com/2018/09/photo...s-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-roller-coaster/
I think the assumption was that it would be a horizontal section only, but I'm thinking the entry side may go vertical before it enters the main gravity building. It's taller than it seems there's need for, and I'm seeing angled braces for the topmost pieces. Hard to say from the pics, but steel's going in fast and we should have a clearer picture day by day.
Then on the 8th when Bioreconstruct posted what he thought was a themeing element on the side of the big box:
I still think that has more to do with how the coaster train enters the gravity building. The Tron coaster enters from the top as well.

Pam Hates Penguins

Hey, where did GotG go?

View attachment 331798

There you are!

View attachment 331799

Anyone know why they built a sideways "L"?

View attachment 331801

GotG, go ahead and play with all your sightline frirends...

View attachment 331804

Yes, that's a Friendship boat transporting people across the lagoon.

View attachment 331806

View attachment 331808

I visited Disney World two weeks ago, and after walking around the park for hours and hours, that ridiculous eyesore can almost be seen from any angle in the park. I feel like it competes with Spaceship Earth too much in size.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom