News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

solidyne

We were doing that all on our own.

They never said what the building would look like.
"God-awful" refers to the size and shape of the box (permanent), not to the final product (still unknown, I'll admit, to most of us).

My point is that it's strange to get over-excited about getting rid of something bad (visually) as if that's the same as adding something good (visually). No, the invisible paint should be the minimum expectation, not some great surprise. If someone breaks my legs, I won't praise him just for buying me crutches!

mikejs78

Premium Member
"God-awful" refers to the size and shape of the box (permanent), not to the final product (still unknown, I'll admit, to most of us).

My point is that it's strange to get over-excited about getting rid of something bad (visually) as if that's the same as adding something good (visually). No, the invisible paint should be the minimum expectation, not some great surprise. If someone breaks my legs, I won't praise him just for buying me crutches!
Hiding showbuildings is as old as Disneyland. Is the Haunted Mansion's showbuilding "God-awful"? Probably not, because you don't see it. And aive always marveled at that fact.

That's the point here - if Disney is able to effectively hide the showbuilding so it isn't seen, how is that different than the many other showbuildings throughout the parks? And why is it wrong to admire Disney's ability to hide a showbuilding?

DinoInstitute

Again, it wouldn't have been my choice of replacement, but I have accepted their decision and am going to approach the new attraction with an open mind and an optimistic attitude. Being resentful about it isn't going to change anything or make me feel any better, even if others may find it cathartic.
This is my mindset as well. Is GotG the best choice for the location in my opinion? No, not really, but at the end of the day it’s happening and there’s nothing that will change that. So I can either let a theme park attraction fill me with constant anger like it seemingly does to some people on here, or I can accept that the park is changing and try to enjoy it. Different outlooks on life perhaps.

tree123

There’s a difference between updating Energy and bulldozing it for something that doesn’t fit, especially when Energy could have been updated fairly easily (comparatively) and still fit in Epcot. They could have even replaced Ellen with Groot (he’s a natural resource!). Instead now we have something that doesn’t fit at all. It’s akin to them replacing Hall of Presidents with a drop tower based on National Treasure. It doesn’t fit thematically OR scenically.

For me, it’s the fact that such a unique ride has been demolished for a queue. Most of the new ride isn’t even going to be in there. Considering WoL’s old Body Wars queue is empty next door, it just seems like such a waste.

Last edited:

DreamfinderGuy

For me, it’s the fact that such a unique ride has been demolished for a queue. Most of the new ride isn’t even going to be in there. Considering WoL’s old Body Wars queue is empty next door, it just seems like such a waste.
They actually just put in an effort a few years ago to get rid of the last queue elements. It’s all an abandoned wasteland with some storage areas now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is my mindset as well. Is GotG the best choice for the location in my opinion? No, not really, but at the end of the day it’s happening and there’s nothing that will change that. So I can either let a theme park attraction fill me with constant anger like it seemingly does to some people on here, or I can accept that the park is changing and try to enjoy it. Different outlooks on life perhaps.
We’ve accepted the park is changing.

And that’s sadly why we have no desire to return next year. I’ll miss a lot of friends and adopted family but for the first time in eons we’re not visiting Orlando.

tparris

I wa

And that’s sadly why we have no desire to return next year. I’ll miss a lot of friends and adopted family but for the first time in eons we’re not visiting Orlando.
I want to go to get in a few rides on SSE before it closes. Other than that, until Rat opens I probably won’t be going.

Missing20K

Hiding showbuildings is as old as Disneyland. Is the Haunted Mansion's showbuilding "God-awful"? Probably not, because you don't see it. And aive always marveled at that fact.

That's the point here - if Disney is able to effectively hide the showbuilding so it isn't seen, how is that different than the many other showbuildings throughout the parks? And why is it wrong to admire Disney's ability to hide a showbuilding?
For me anyway, the difference lies in the methods used to "hide" the show buildings, the inventiveness of said methods, but most importantly, the effectiveness of the methods to "hide" the building. I would take the position that in this particular instance, the method is banal, it's been used extensively both at Disney and elsewhere, and again most importantly, the effectiveness of the treatment is to be argued at best (proven by the fact some think it's really effective, and others who think the opposite). Not suggesting all methods need to be "inventive" (trees and berms have been a proven method) but if banal and uninventive, the method should certainly be extremely effective.
And that’s sadly why we have no desire to return next year.
Portend well for the future of the resort, this does not.

Jenny72

I'm a little surprised at how excited the reaction is that the paint blends into the sky. There is no way in heck that you're not going to see that box, even if it doesn't stand out. It's not like it's going to disappear, especially considering you'd be seeing it from different angles. It might be one of the better options they had for it, and it's a good paint color, but it's not really a great architectural achievement. I think we're setting the bar a little low here.

GlacierGlacier

I'm a little surprised at how excited the reaction is that the paint blends into the sky. There is no way in heck that you're not going to see that box, even if it doesn't stand out. It's not like it's going to disappear, especially considering you'd be seeing it from different angles. It might be one of the better options they had for it, and it's a good paint color, but it's not really a great architectural achievement. I think we're setting the bar a little low here.
Take it from someone who's seen it in person.

It's much less visible than a shiny cylinder sitting at ground level.

It's such a huge building that if you did theme it, it'd draw attention away from SSE. You'd have a DHS situation, where the park's main weenie is supplanted in marketing by one built later.

This is an effective solution to the problem they have. Probably the best solution, outside of not building the attraction in the first place.

montyz81

I'd have to say that this is a decision many of us diehard fans are making. Sadly, that only would account for probably a 1% drop in attendance in the coming years. With StarWars, GoTG, TSL, Tron, et all changes, the 10-15% increase in Orlando park attendance that will happen in 2019 -2021 (provided the economy doesn't fall out from under us) will make that 1% drop mostly invisible to Disney leadership.

Goofyque'

This makes me sad, Martin. You are one of the few that I think have enjoyed Disney about the same length of time as I have. Some of the changes are welcome, some are not. We are still in the position of enjoying our trips, but recognize there are those who do not. Either way, we are still very grateful for your input!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This makes me sad, Martin. You are one of the few that I think have enjoyed Disney about the same length of time as I have. Some of the changes are welcome, some are not. We are still in the position of enjoying our trips, but recognize there are those who do not. Either way, we are still very grateful for your input!
I may still be “doing Disney” though. :)

There’s a new Phantom Manor to see (if they ever finish it) and perhaps a galaxy further away than the one in Orlando too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom