Canada Martin Short 360: worst film on property

JohnD

Frankly I kind of agree with his point on narration being someone famous.. Who really cares if a famous person is narrating the show or some unknown.... I mean imagine it was narrated by the guy that used to do all the NFL highlight reals... or maybe if it was done by someone with a more serious sounding voice. His voice just doesn't really command your attention or make the show seem exciting, whenever I hear his voice I instantly think about Jack Frost from Santa Clause II... Maybe that's the best reason not to use a famous person, because some people will start thinking about the last role they saw them in and that isn't the point of a narration on a travel film.

Although the China 360 movie is getting an update, the current version is not a bad movie and no one knows who the narrator is anyway. He is just portrayed as an ancient guide. How about the Canada movie cast some unknown, eh, to portray a Mounty giving us a tour around Canada.

thomas998

Although the China 360 movie is getting an update, the current version is not a bad movie and no one knows who the narrator is anyway. He is just portrayed as an ancient guide. How about the Canada movie cast some unknown, eh, to portray a Mounty giving us a tour around Canada.
Well if the powers that be at Disney go the same direction for China that they did for Canada I guess we can expect the narrator to be Jackie Chan or Jet Li... who knows maybe they throw in some kung fu sound effects when they made cuts to different scenes.

JohnD

Well if the powers that be at Disney go the same direction for China that they did for Canada I guess we can expect the narrator to be Jackie Chan or Jet Li... who knows maybe they throw in some kung fu sound effects when they made cuts to different scenes.

No. They'll go full IP. How about casting the actress from the 2020 live-action Mulan? Turns out Jet Li is in this movie. Who knew?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4566758/

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Why do we need a known figure to tout Canada? To add credence?!

"good thing Short was here to tell me how wonderful the place is because if it were narrated by an unknown voice then there is no way I would ever visit"

People are just to dum I guess
Fine. Then go to the France pavilion where they appreciate an invisible narrator.

HikerDana

From what I understood about Epcot was; the actual country being represented has a large say, if not total control over what is in their pavillion. So if the Canada Short was changed it had to be with the blessing of the actually country and business that pay for the spot and not some bureaucrats in the USA. Though that's not to say it wasn't bureaucrats in Canada. But at least it was Canadians who gave the film their blessing. So it shouldn't necessarily be judged by some other countries concept of what makes a good film.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From what I understood about Epcot was; the actual country being represented has a large say, if not total control over what is in their pavillion. So if the Canada Short was changed it had to be with the blessing of the actually country and business that pay for the spot and not some bureaucrats in the USA. Though that's not to say it wasn't bureaucrats in Canada. But at least it was Canadians who gave the film their blessing. So it shouldn't necessarily be judged by some other countries concept of what makes a good film.

Countries that gave up their sponsorship or who never sponsored to begin with have zero say. So, basically, Morocco is the only country with a say in "their" pavilion.

Countries may be in dialogue with Disney, but to get "a say" they have to pay.

Animaniac93-98

The only thing Disney would need approval of from Canada is the permission to film new footage, depending upon the location.

What footage they use and how they present it is all up to Disney.

HikerDana

Countries that gave up their sponsorship or who never sponsored to begin with have zero say. So, basically, Morocco is the only country with a say in "their" pavilion.

I agree Morocco is the only country sponsor, but the other pavillons have corporate sponsors. For example Mitsukoshi Department Store is been said to be the solo sponsor for Japan. Other countries have sponsors as well. The whole point was to represent the different countries, so I can't see Disney just putting up a film without any feedback from the country or the corporate sponsor. It would become to American.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The only thing Disney would need approval of from Canada is the permission to film new footage, depending upon the location.

What footage they use and how they present it is all up to Disney.
The 2007 film was part funded by several Canadian agencies. They had a lot of input in what should be done.

Last edited:

Yanksandcuse

Entertaining to an alec, yes.

And millions of other Canadians love their country too but I guess they didn't offer up Academy award level performances in the greatest film of all time like the "Three Amigos"

Three Amigos is a classic and Martin Short is a comedy genius.

Watch Jiminy Glick. Pretty much the funniest people on earth (jerry seinfeld, mel brooks, larry david, and countless others) have a hard time keeping it together on his show. But you're right, they are just "alecs". Or maybe you just don't get it. What was you background in comedy and entertainment again?

citcatt1

I saw this version of Oh Canada for the first time on Thanksgiving.. ...and unless one pays me $50+ to watch it again or I need quick shelter from a hurricane or air raid I won't ever go back in: lousy outdated film and the narration is less entertaining than standing in line at the Dept of Motor Vehicles.......head shaking bad. I was thinking Pauly Shore might be the most annoying "entertainer" but then here comes Martin Short.
I have to agree on this one it was terrible I'm not sure I remember the original, but this one is really old too! It's Martin Short circa 1981 it opened in 1982...time to change this one.

LUVofDIS

What was you background in comedy and entertainment again?

What does this have to do with anything. As far as I am concerned, each ones opinion holds as much weight as any others. I find Larry David to be extremely funny, yet, as weird as it sounds, I think Jerry Seinfeld was terrible and very unfunny. Even if Larry David told me, look, I am a comedian, and Jerry is funny, doesn't mean I will find Jerry funny.

Goofyernmost

What does this have to do with anything. As far as I am concerned, each ones opinion holds as much weight as any others. I find Larry David to be extremely funny, yet, as weird as it sounds, I think Jerry Seinfeld was terrible and very unfunny. Even if Larry David told me, look, I am a comedian, and Jerry is funny, doesn't mean I will find Jerry funny.
Sure, but, there is a world of difference between someone saying... I don't personally care for "whomever" and making it sound like the person is jack the ripper. Stating it like fact when it is just opinion is no virtue. Stating that the whole film is "the worst on property" because they have a dislike for Martin Short is very out of place and by it's own nature, very wrong. That is why it has gotten so much negative response. He has been attempting to project something generally evil into an entire show based merely on his prejudice against one person.

There is one person in the Hall of Presidents that I literally hate, but, I don't think that the rest of the show is bad or that others might not like it. So, if I don't like it, I just won't go to it. That is my right and falls within the dictates of my opinion but not putting down the show itself because of it. I'm not attempting to make an argument with the purpose of convincing others that it is bad. They can judge for themselves.

Yanksandcuse

I dont hold stupid opinions that experts and millions of others disagree with with as much weight. I consider them close minded, stupid, or uninformed. And i especially dont present my opinions as fact as this dolt has.

Tony the Tigger

I think it's safe to say that you completely missed my big point.

My smaller point is that Short and the script in this attraction are painful and cringworthy.
The main point is why do we need ANY known to narrate in the first place.
My God the subject here is the splendors and sights of Canada, not a platform for a 2nd tier forgotten actor to embarrass us and attempt to dominate the attraction.

🙄

Right, because not just IP’s, but anything known is inherently bad, because snob snobaloo, snobaloney.

Who needs actors with experience, anyway?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom