News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Kman101

but is there a demand for that? or are they just floating cheap ideas and people are jumping on them because it is at least something rather than nothing? I agree that a Sing Along is a bonus feature on a DVD and certainly not what I would want to waste my $100+ ticket on...

I'd say it's both. And the way some have talked on here about it, it seems "something is better than 'nothing' " which is a strange way to look at it. "Well that's old so at least this is new". Ehhh ...

It sounds like this is just a movie that alternates with IDF.

I also like the historians in the Frozen sing-along, but personally, I find sing-along's lazy for park attractions, IMO. I was shocked when I suggested once the Frozen broadway style musical instead but so many jumped to the sing-along's defense (mostly because of the historians and I get that, but how about what they do at Disneyland, you know the Royal Theater and the comedic re-tellings, I mean, they don't even try)

I'd have less of a problem with the Frozen sing-along if it took over Mermaid's spot. I'd rather see a real production in the Hyperion.

Kman101

I think they might actually. Kevin Feige is a big old school EPCOT fan - and he's involved in the story treatment. Also, yhe head imagineer on this project is Joe Rhode, who cares very much about placesetting and thematic integrity. They may make this work.

I do feel somewhat hopeful. I just fear being let down, it's happened a lot ... lol (Nemo was a missed opportunity as well - it could have been a lesson about the sea, not a rehash of Finding Nemo, without kids even realizing it). I really do think they can find a good blend of IP and Epcot. They just haven't yet (IMO). I think Poppins, Rat, and Coco (however shelved it may be right now) were good choices for World Showcase. Poppins a little less so but it's such a classic that I give it a bit more of a pass. I think Inside Out and Big Hero 6 are "appropriate" for Future World if done right. But I know many will hate any bit of IP. I try and find "best case scenario" and it'd be nice if old Epcot and new Epcot sort of met in the middle. Maybe they will ...

Professortango1

Yes, both are Sci Fi. But Guardians is a new build so it's conceivable that the storyline of the attraction will fit into Future World (for example, let's say the Guardians are taking you on a tour of different types of astronomical bodies). With Tron, we already know what it is because it's a clone - you're on a light cycle from the movies. Something that is pure science fiction. So that to me doesn't fit in Future World at all. A Tron-based attraction that was more grounded in Science Fact, however, could easily fit.

All this is assuming that the Guardians coaster has a storyline that fits, which may not be the case. But with the Tron coaster, it's definitely not the case.

But Tron takes place in 2009, not the future.

Disone

They already have both in the Magic Kingdom...we don't need those in EPCOT... It just seems completel;y wrong...and would make the UK Pavilion look like a mini amusement park rather than a representation of the United Kingdom....

Hummmmm. Big Thunder and Space Mountain are roller coasters. Magic Kingdom has roller coasters. Therefore the other parks don't need roller coasters. So rock and roller coaster and Expedition Everest should have never been built? Or those two are much more thrilling roller coasters. But I guess you could say since Rock and roller coaster was a thrilling roller coaster and the studios already had one than Expedition Everest did not need to be built at Animal Kingdom? Just because another Park hasn't a xyz doesn't mean an another park doesn't need it. Both Disneyland and California Adventure have carousels. I would very much be in favor of a Mary Poppins Merry-Go-Round. But why not make it a merry-go-round that Disney has not done before? Here's an idea you go into the chalk drawing and ride the carousel. It's a legitimate Carousel but it's indoors in a CGI CAVE. One of those high-tech Star Trek like simulation environments. That'll put you in the middle of one of those MP chalk drawings as you enjoy the ride on an otherwise traditional carousel.

Just the same, a traditional Mary Poppins Carousel outdoors in the courtyard could be nice too. Although that would likely end the Run of beetles tribute bands playing back there.

HauntedMansionFLA

God I hope not...That would be incredibly lame... The lack of attractions in World Showcase should be addressed, and a carousel and sing-along are a huge nothing burger... Did anyone ever pay over a hundred dollars to spend a percentage of their day at a sing along to film clips?
Well, I see lots of families at the playground and there are plenty of them in every town. I can’t wait for the Meet and Greets at WoL - you will go through the roof.;)

Kman101

I probably missed this stated, but would said carousel (should it be one) take the expansion plot or would it replace the gazebo? People are discussing it as if it would replace the gazebo and small hedge maze area. If so, I'd be OK with a carousel themed to Poppins there (I love that area but at least it wouldn't be taking an expansion pad - gotta pick my battles). It's just massively disappointing to (apparently; as of today) not be getting a dark ride - that's probably why so many are upset. And many just can't visualize a carousel or flat ride in Epcot. I try and it's hard. Epcot was just meant to be a different park than offering carousels and flats, but I do think they need some variety of things to do.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I probably missed this stated, but would said carousel (should it be one) take the expansion plot or would it replace the gazebo? People are discussing it as if it would replace the gazebo and small hedge maze area. If so, I'd be OK with a carousel themed to Poppins there (I love that area but at least it wouldn't be taking an expansion pad - gotta pick my battles). It's just massively disappointing to (apparently; as of today) not be getting a dark ride - that's probably why so many are upset. And many just can't visualize a carousel or flat ride in Epcot. I try and it's hard. Epcot was just meant to be a different park than offering carousels and flats, but I do think they need some variety of things to do.
Wait, where has it been said that we aren't getting a dark ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom