News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Quinnmac000

Florida was hit by Irma in August 2017. So the comparisons would have included the impact that storm had on Attendance...... I suspect this is also a factor, and this year may not be quite as strong as last....

Two parks in different geographical areas experiencing bad weather is quite different than only one park being affected.

bartholomr4

From Yahoo Finance.....

Rupert Murdoch could pull off amazing coup: Buying Fox regional sports networks back from Disney at a discount of billions
"New Fox," the company that will exist after Disney completes its $71.3 billion deal for the majority of Fox, may end up buying back 22 regional sports networks from Disney.

The deal could be another coup for Rupert Murdoch, who may end up making billions by buying back the networks.
Netflix recently praised New Fox for its renewed focus on news and sports; a purchase of the regional sports networks would fit that strategy.

• "New Fox," the company that will exist after Disney completes its $71.3 billion deal for the majority of Fox, may end up buying back 22 regional sports networks from Disney.
  • The deal could be another coup for Rupert Murdoch, who may end up making billions by buying back the networks.
  • Netflix recently praised New Fox for its renewed focus on news and sports; a purchase of the regional sports networks would fit that strategy.

The full article is below:
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bc5ff18...7571c8be/ss_rupert-murdoch-could-buy-fox.html

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From Yahoo Finance.....

Rupert Murdoch could pull off amazing coup: Buying Fox regional sports networks back from Disney at a discount of billions
"New Fox," the company that will exist after Disney completes its $71.3 billion deal for the majority of Fox, may end up buying back 22 regional sports networks from Disney.

The deal could be another coup for Rupert Murdoch, who may end up making billions by buying back the networks.
Netflix recently praised New Fox for its renewed focus on news and sports; a purchase of the regional sports networks would fit that strategy.

• "New Fox," the company that will exist after Disney completes its $71.3 billion deal for the majority of Fox, may end up buying back 22 regional sports networks from Disney.
  • The deal could be another coup for Rupert Murdoch, who may end up making billions by buying back the networks.
  • Netflix recently praised New Fox for its renewed focus on news and sports; a purchase of the regional sports networks would fit that strategy.

The full article is below:
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bc5ff18...7571c8be/ss_rupert-murdoch-could-buy-fox.html

Until Comcast puts in a counter bid for them...

bartholomr4

Why sell them to buy them back? I'm confused or were they obliged to sell them in the original deal?

According to the article, the sports assets would be attractive to Rupert, because he would be buying them back at a discount to what he sold them to Disney. And there would be Tax Benefit too......

bartholomr4

Sports Channels Draw Interest From Private Equity, 'New Fox' and Ice Cube

10/30/2018 | 05:45am EDT
By Joe Flint, Andrew Beaton and Miriam Gottfried

Big media companies, sports teams, private-equity firms and a rapper are among those kicking the tires of nearly two dozen regional sports channels that Walt Disney Co. is divesting as part of its $71.3 billion purchase of 21st Century Fox assets.

The 22 channels include marquee properties in New York and Los Angeles. Guggenheim Securities valued the regional networks at $25 billion, but some likely bidders and industry observers say they are more likely to fetch between $16 billion to $20 billion, depending on how they are packaged and sold.

"There's never been an instance where a large group of these [regional sports networks] have been sold all at once," said sports-media consultant Lee Berke.

Initial bids on the channels are due Nov. 8. Potential suitors include private-equity firms Apollo Global Management LLC, Blackstone Group LP, KKR & Co. and Providence Equity Partners LLC, people close to the sale process said.

Private-equity firm Silver Lake is looking at the networks in partnership with its portfolio company, talent agency Endeavor LLC, one of the people said. The large television station owner Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. has said publicly it is interested in the channels.

The "New Fox," the company that will comprise the assets Disney doesn't acquire from 21st Century Fox, including the Fox broadcast network and Fox News Channel, is also considered a serious contender for the sports channels, the people close to the process said.

Disney's deal for the 21st Century Fox assets implied a premium valuation for the sports networks, after a bidding war with Comcast Corp. drove up the deal's overall price. A stand-alone sale of the networks could now draw a lower price, some analysts and people close to the process said, raising the prospect that Fox could buy them back at a discount.

People close to Disney said it expects to get a premium.

Rapper and actor Ice Cube has emerged as the face of one bid, teaming up with investors from his "Big 3" basketball league and others in a minority-owned conglomerate, according to people familiar with the bid.

A number of sports-team owners are considering submitting offers for channels in their specific markets, according to people familiar with their thinking. Tech companies are also in the mix.

Rodan75

Sports Channels Draw Interest From Private Equity, 'New Fox' and Ice Cube

10/30/2018 | 05:45am EDT
By Joe Flint, Andrew Beaton and Miriam Gottfried

Big media companies, sports teams, private-equity firms and a rapper are among those kicking the tires of nearly two dozen regional sports channels that Walt Disney Co. is divesting as part of its $71.3 billion purchase of 21st Century Fox assets.

The 22 channels include marquee properties in New York and Los Angeles. Guggenheim Securities valued the regional networks at $25 billion, but some likely bidders and industry observers say they are more likely to fetch between $16 billion to $20 billion, depending on how they are packaged and sold.

"There's never been an instance where a large group of these [regional sports networks] have been sold all at once," said sports-media consultant Lee Berke.

Initial bids on the channels are due Nov. 8. Potential suitors include private-equity firms Apollo Global Management LLC, Blackstone Group LP, KKR & Co. and Providence Equity Partners LLC, people close to the sale process said.

Private-equity firm Silver Lake is looking at the networks in partnership with its portfolio company, talent agency Endeavor LLC, one of the people said. The large television station owner Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. has said publicly it is interested in the channels.

The "New Fox," the company that will comprise the assets Disney doesn't acquire from 21st Century Fox, including the Fox broadcast network and Fox News Channel, is also considered a serious contender for the sports channels, the people close to the process said.

Disney's deal for the 21st Century Fox assets implied a premium valuation for the sports networks, after a bidding war with Comcast Corp. drove up the deal's overall price. A stand-alone sale of the networks could now draw a lower price, some analysts and people close to the process said, raising the prospect that Fox could buy them back at a discount.

People close to Disney said it expects to get a premium.

Rapper and actor Ice Cube has emerged as the face of one bid, teaming up with investors from his "Big 3" basketball league and others in a minority-owned conglomerate, according to people familiar with the bid.

A number of sports-team owners are considering submitting offers for channels in their specific markets, according to people familiar with their thinking. Tech companies are also in the mix.

The whole concept last week that Murdoch was going to get a sweet discount on these channels always seemed far fetched.

I can’t imagine Disney not getting a tidy profit on these channels.

bartholomr4

The whole concept last week that Murdoch was going to get a sweet discount on these channels always seemed far fetched.

I can’t imagine Disney not getting a tidy profit on these channels.

I would agree..... I would discount the Private Equity Bids, as they buy at discount, run things for awhile and then sell at a premium.

The Sinclair Broadcasting (and other regional broadcasters, i.e. Gannett, Tribune, Charter, etc.), Ice Cube (emotional attachment), New Fox (for a limited Number of channels) and Sports Team owners all seem to be the realistic winners of any bidding. I also see the sum of the parts as less valuable than selling them off piecemeal. Disney does not want to create a new competitor, and selling them off piecemeal gives them a chance to protect their market share for ESPN+

Indy_UK

Here's a story I found really interesting, although more about the UK, but the BBC which we publicly fund have done a deal with 20th Century Fox for all future content from FX to be exclusive on the BBC.

Currently FX has its own dedicated channel on SKY (now owned by Comcast) so I wonder if this was in discussions before Disney was on the scene. I wonder if Disney are going to be pulling what they can off from SKY.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2018/10/bb...king-beeb-uk-home-to-all-future-fx-originals/

bartholomr4

Here's a story I found really interesting, although more about the UK, but the BBC which we publicly fund have done a deal with 20th Century Fox for all future content from FX to be exclusive on the BBC.

Currently FX has its own dedicated channel on SKY (now owned by Comcast) so I wonder if this was in discussions before Disney was on the scene. I wonder if Disney are going to be pulling what they can off from SKY.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2018/10/bb...king-beeb-uk-home-to-all-future-fx-originals/

Very interesting..... Probably content which would not be included in a "Disney" OTT channel.

Indy_UK

Exactly.

I know I'm looking way too much into this but I wonder if Disney may strip as much content as possible from SKY and push it to the Free to Air TV for a reasonable price (although lower than what SKY currently pay)

They're crown jewel stuff that's left will then go on the Disney Streaming service. That would give them big exposure on the free to air channels but push people to the streaming service. Especially as we don't have Hulu or any plans for it either

bartholomr4

(Reuters) - Twenty-First Century Fox Inc Executive Chairman Lachlan Murdoch said Thursday it is still an "open question" whether the company will buy back the regional sports networks it sold to entertainment company Walt Disney Co in July as part of a $71 billion deal.
Speaking at the New York Times Co DealBook conference in New York, Murdoch, who will become CEO of the remaining company "New Fox," said the company "will be inquisitive" in looking at the possibility of buying back the sports assets.

Watch the interview at

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom