Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

TP2000

Turns out there is going to be one casualty in this ride's placement. Please gather your tears and prepare your condolences for the loss of Toontown Five & Dime, which will be replaced by an entrance to the new ride. Big news, I know!

Good news! The neighbor lady says this plan is locked and loaded and ready to go, pending November's election results.

The 1990's age of themed shopping is as dated and tired as a Friends rerun. See the latest Generic Outlet Mall design of the new World of Disney as an example, in a miraculous age when even an old codger like myself has an iPhone X and Amazon Prime and can get anything I want delivered to my doorstep in 24 hours or less.

The 2020's should be the age when a few more Disneyland stores and merchandise square footage is removed for attractions or shows or unique dining experiences instead. Yeah, lookin' at you Main Street USA!

FigmentForver96

Turns out there is going to be one casualty in this ride's placement. Please gather your tears and prepare your condolences for the loss of Toontown Five & Dime, which will be replaced by an entrance to the new ride. Big news, I know!
I’m still really excited about this ride being cloned. Already lost a great ride in Orlando, seems kind of like an insult to not even make it unique to Orlando. Oh well

TP2000

I’m still really excited about this ride being cloned. Already lost a great ride in Orlando, seems kind of like an insult to not even make it unique to Orlando. Oh well

What's surprising is that it takes out a unique E Ticket animatronic spectacular in DHS, a park that only has 6 other rides to begin with.
Traveling-Theater-Car.jpg

But in Disneyland it takes out a circa 1992 Wacky Themed Shopping facility and leaves the C Ticket dark ride next door and rest of Toontown and the 40 other rides in the park intact? Crazy!

o.jpg

I have to wonder if this Toontown plan is related to Tokyo, where they would add Mickey's Railway to Tokyo Disneyland via a Toontown portal just like Anaheim? Tokyo has a nearly identical clone of Anaheim's Toontown, for those who haven't been, and behind it is "backstage" area just like Anaheim has. But in Tokyo their Toontown is flatter and less graciously integrated into the rest of Fantasyland, and it could use some background development aside from the weirdly spindly deciduous trees they planted there for the humid Tokyo climate.

Toontown in Tokyo is like many of their hybrid Anaheim-Orlando clone lands, where it's not quite as nicely crafted as the American originals; New Orleans Square, Adventureland, Critter Country, Fantasyland.

Toontown%20Overhead%201.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

Done! Officially not renewing!! They done lost their mind!!

Actually renewed the other day super early because of the price increase rumor that didn’t happen.

TwilightZone

I think last time I went to ol Five n dime I think I saw paint missing on some of the hands. I'm not shocked at all.
I say bring on runaway railway! I wanna ride it 10 times!
Or how many times crowds allow me.

brb1006

What's surprising is that it takes out a unique E Ticket animatronic spectacular in DHS, a park that only has 6 other rides to begin with.
Traveling-Theater-Car.jpg

But in Disneyland it takes out a circa 1992 Wacky Themed Shopping facility and leaves the C Ticket dark ride next door and rest of Toontown and the 40 other rides in the park intact? Crazy!

o.jpg

I have to wonder if this Toontown plan is related to Tokyo, where they would add Mickey's Railway to Tokyo Disneyland via a Toontown portal just like Anaheim? Tokyo has a nearly identical clone of Anaheim's Toontown, for those who haven't been, and behind it is "backstage" area just like Anaheim has. But in Tokyo their Toontown is flatter and less graciously integrated into the rest of Fantasyland, and it could use some background development aside from the weirdly spindly deciduous trees they planted there for the humid Tokyo climate.

Toontown in Tokyo is like many of their hybrid Anaheim-Orlando clone lands, where it's not quite as nicely crafted as the American originals; New Orleans Square, Adventureland, Critter Country, Fantasyland.

Toontown%20Overhead%201.jpg
I believe Tokyo Disneyland has an indoor interactive attraction for Goofy's House called "Goofy's Paint and Play" where you can help Goofy redecorate his house. The interactive attraction was added in 2002 and exclusive to their version.

George Lucas on a Bench

The warehouse is charming from the outside because it was obviously inspired by the ACME HQ in the Roger Rabbit movie. But something went wrong in the translation to Disneyland. I guess because ACME is a Looney Tunes element. But that was the whole thing with that movie and one of the reasons why it's so great. By making Toon Town "Mickey's land" or whatever, they took away the coolness. Where the hel are Bugs and Daffy? At Six Flags? Good ride, though.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The big problem with the gift shop IMO is that it's so static. I was expecting the gloves to move around and maybe a few interactive displays like the ones MGM used to have. Maybe the gloves moved at one point, but that point has come and gone and they sure don't move anymore.
I went to toon town a lot when it first opened and the gloves moved all around the store. I don't know what year they turned them off but they were on when I moved out of cali in 1999 and when I went back in 08 the gloves were no longer moving to my disappointment.

TwilightZone

I went to toon town a lot when it first opened and the gloves moved all around the store. I don't know what year they turned them off but they were on when I moved out of cali in 1999 and when I went back in 08 the gloves were no longer moving to my disappointment.
Thanks for the confirmation that they moved! Really disappointing they don't anymore. Guess it didn't work way too often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom