Is Boardwalk Worth It?

disneyflush

Original Poster
My family has 7 nights booked next May at the Boardwalk. I've always wanted to stay at one of the Epcot resorts so we found a good deal and booked it. My concern stems from watching some vids and reviewing the layout of the resort (after the fact admittedly) and I don't get that 'Deluxe' feel from the images. We've stayed at AKL and Poly and those felt 'Deluxe' to me but I guess I'm missing that with the Boardwalk so far. Maybe the theming feels underwhelming to me. Maybe the food options feel wonky. I can't put a finger on it.

Does anyone have an opinion of it being a true Deluxe, one way or the other, after staying there?

BoarderPhreak

I've not stayed at the Boardwalk resorts proper, but I've stayed at the Swan multiple times...

The Boardwalk itself is nice. Nothing too special, aside from atmosphere (and Dole Whips w/Captain Morgan)... Some eateries, a general store and performers here and there. Still, it's the best "common area" on property, if you ask me. The real value-add is if you're an Epcot fan. It simply doesn't get better, access wise, than this. 👍

DisDadWoz

We love all three of the Epcot resorts (plus Swan/Dolphin) They are deluxe in what they offer but you are correct in that the Boardwalk isn't as heavily themed as AKL and Poly. However, don't let that sway you as the location is awesome the Boardwalk at night provides a great atmosphere and Ample Hills creamery has some of the best ice cream out there. All that plus being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios make it a great resort.

SeaCastle

My family has 7 nights booked next May at the Boardwalk. I've always wanted to stay at one of the Epcot resorts so we found a good deal and booked it. My concern stems from watching some vids and reviewing the layout of the resort (after the fact admittedly) and I don't get that 'Deluxe' feel from the images. We've stayed at AKL and Poly and those felt 'Deluxe' to me but I guess I'm missing that with the Boardwalk so far. Maybe the theming feels underwhelming to me. Maybe the food options feel wonky. I can't put a finger on it.

Does anyone have an opinion of it being a true Deluxe, one way or the other, after staying there?

We stayed there for the first time for a week this May and loved it, it's probably my favorite WDW hotel. Boardwalk is far and away a deluxe, no doubt about it and has beautiful pools, cleanliness and upkeep, theme, large comfortable rooms, amenities, and the location commensurate with a deluxe. The accessibility to the parks is a huge benefit, and if you're a Jersey guy like me it's fun to see the antiques from Atlantic City and beach towns and stay in that kind of idealized boardwalk resort that really doesn't exist anymore. It's a real treat and a phenomenal place to stay. As far as dining, the restaurants are excellent, and the Boardwalk Bakery is good for grab and go but I don't believe it has as many choices other resort quick service stops do.

What it does not have - in comparison to somewhere like Y&B or DAKL or Poly - is the sense of being some lush remote resort. The Boardwalk Resort is oriented mostly to the Boardwalk on the lake- it does have its own theme and courtyard pools and beautiful quiet sections (http://allears.net/wp-content/uploads/archive/acc/bw/boardwalk-exterior-5.JPG) but it is a much more compact and busy hotel than say the Yacht and Beach Club and gets a lot of foot traffic. Which isn't a bad thing per se, but if you're looking to be in a more quieter, self-contained, exotically themed resort then this is not really the place. If you're looking for a richly appointed hotel with great accessibility and dining/nightlife options, then this is the spot. Maybe the Boardwalk Villas are different, but the main hotel is fairly small.

Epcotfan21

Boardwalk certainly is a Deluxe and I think you're second guessing it based on your previous experience at AKL and Poly. Don't let this sway you. Stick with your gut and don't look back.

eliza61nyc

So AK, WL and Poly are more of "IN YOUR FACE" type of theming, so of course the Boardwalk and the Beach club are going to feel "underwhelming". I don't call it underwhelming, I call it understated. That's the theme of the resort. it's reminiscent of the turn of the century Atlantic city. The colors are going to be softer, the charm and design more softer.
amenity wise it's just as deluxe as the others and you cannot beat the location. I also love the entertainment at night. I like that aspect much more than at AKL.

righttrack

The main issue with The Boardwalk resort is the fact that the boardwalk itself is the "lobby". It lacks a central feel to it, but that is indeed the design. The location can't be beat and there are more things to do there than just about anywhere. Considering also that World Showcase can also act as your "hotel restaurants" along with all the other resorts on the boardwalk, and the possibilities are endless. Any boardwalk resort has those capabilities of course. Try this one and see how you like it.

HouCuseChickie

I personally don't care for Yacht and didn't enjoy staying there. We like Beach, but prefer the common areas of Boardwalk much more. It's tough though b/c I think Beach has nicer room decor and a better pool (even if I don't like the sand), but I get a stronger luxury vibe when just hanging out at Boardwalk. I also don't like that you risk not getting a full balcony when going with Beach. We enjoy having a drink on our balcony after a long day in the parks.

The Pho

It's a great resort and perfectly themed for what it is. It doesn't seem as heavily themed as Animal Kingdom Lodge or Polynesian because what it goes for isnt quite as loud design wise, it has more elements that are common at normal hotels. But make no mistake, the theming is very much there and they nailed it. The Boardwalk area itself is one of the best areas in all of Disney if you haven't been there before, make sure to have a few meals there (Trattoria al Forno is easily one of the best restaurants on property). Then you also have all the other restaurants in the other resorts, Shulas is the best steak I've ever had. Add in being able to walk to Studios and Epcot or take a boat, and it also become one of the most convenient hotels on property. And don't forget Fantasia Gardens Minigolf. Personally we stay at the Dolphin first then Beach then Yacht then Boardwalk then Swan, but we are very happy with any of the 5.

CaptainAmerica

Personally, I don't really get the point of the Boardwalk (or Yacht Club or Beach Club or Grand Floridian or Contemporary or Swan or Dolphin). They're very nice hotels and they're themed... like very nice hotels. That's not why I go to Walt Disney World. I go to Walt Disney World to be immersed in a different place and time. I much prefer the Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, and even Fort Wilderness, Port Orleans, and Art of Animation. That's not to say the Boardwalk is "worse" than those locations, it's just not my taste.

disneyflush

Original Poster
Personally, I don't really get the point of the Boardwalk (or Yacht Club or Beach Club or Grand Floridian or Contemporary or Swan or Dolphin). They're very nice hotels and they're themed... like very nice hotels. That's not why I go to Walt Disney World. I go to Walt Disney World to be immersed in a different place and time. I much prefer the Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, and even Fort Wilderness, Port Orleans, and Art of Animation. That's not to say the Boardwalk is "worse" than those locations, it's just not my taste.

I think a lot of this sentiment is behind some of my apprehension. Maybe its more fun, for me, to be transported to some adventurous locale with exotic trees and decor for the week. I definitely get it. Getting a lot of positive reviews from all the posters has really helped to squelch my fears though. My wife will absolutely love it.

BASS

It's worth it. It is a great hotel. You will enjoy it.

That entire area is very fun and provides a nice stroll in the evening. As others have mentioned, the restaurants are very good (try Flying Fish). Ample Hills is also awesome. And the walk into Epcot is a huge plus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom