News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

roj2323

Can Coronado really support 3-4 Table Services? The only other resorts with near that many (Grand Floridian and Contemporary) both struggle to keep some of their TS’s Afloat (Wave @Contemporary and Everything other than V&A’s at Grand Flo has been faltering lately). Let alone that thy have a vastly superior location with higher traffic. Heck, even Maya Grill, as the sole TS, struggles a bit.
I wonder if there is a plan to shutter Maya once the others open, and even then...
Yes. With the number of multi day conventions the hotel holds a variety of restaurant choices is vital to keeping those dollars on site. Additionally with the new tower they simply need more capacity and rather than expanding the existing restaurants its easier to just build new options.

COProgressFan

Can Coronado really support 3-4 Table Services? The only other resorts with near that many (Grand Floridian and Contemporary) both struggle to keep some of their TS’s Afloat (Wave @Contemporary and Everything other than V&A’s at Grand Flo has been faltering lately). Let alone that thy have a vastly superior location with higher traffic. Heck, even Maya Grill, as the sole TS, struggles a bit.
I wonder if there is a plan to shutter Maya once the others open, and even then...

What do you mean by faltering?

1900 Park Fare is still tough get reservations for. GF Cafe is the necessary standard sit-down hotel breakfast fare and seems reasonably busy without necessarily needing reservations. The only one I could see that maybe isn't doing great business is Citrico's, but with the margins on Disney food, I'd be quite surprised if it was struggling to stay afloat.

Magic Feather

What do you mean by faltering?

1900 Park Fare is still tough get reservations for. GF Cafe is the necessary standard sit-down hotel breakfast fare and seems reasonably busy without necessarily needing reservations. The only one I could see that maybe isn't doing great business is Citrico's, but with the margins on Disney food, I'd be quite surprised if it was struggling to stay afloat.
1900 has surprisingly become a relatively easy reservation to get in my experience, and it’s numbers have been on an undeniable decline from its peak.
GF Cafe is definitely the most unremarkable of the restaurants, but also one of the most stable. It has yet to see an uptick, but also has yet to see a decline.
Narcoosee’s gets giant upticks during special fireworks (4th, NYE, Holidays), but is otherwise a little slow and in dire need of an overhaul. The numbers reflect that.
Citrico’s is the Black Sheep of the GF restaurants. It has struggled and even the quasi-recent renovation did not help.
And then, V&A’s is able to stay afloat, but it often barely breaks even. But that is just something that comes with the experience, and to keep the 4 Diamonds.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, October 12, 2018. The layout of the dining area for the new table service restaurant on the lake can be seen better now that some wall boards are being installed. It appears that most of the dining area will be outside, as seen in the concept art.

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

Other views of the restaurant from various lake shore positions.

IMG_0816.JPG

The third boardwalk is taking shape (from the feature pool area).
IMG_0817.JPG

A close-up of the tower's top level restaurant area, over looking the lake.

IMG_0818.JPG

Finally, new white and blue accent tiles have been installed in the resort's merchandize store. The back 1/3 of the store is still curtained off for construction. Cast members state the back area will contain the fitting rooms and a refrigerated pickup drink area.

IMG_0812.JPG

Sir_Cliff

I'm not as hostile to these new towers as many on here, and I also quite like the subtler theming of the new lobby and foodcourt at CBR. I really don't get the design of this tower, though.

Surely they could have at least gone with a tasteful modern take on a southwest aesthetic to go with the rest of the resort? This is more Barcelona via Dubai and doesn't seem to fit at all with the overall theme of the resort. It seems like they really didn't even think about the rest of the resort when designing it.

Sir_Cliff

Large chunks of Vegas are nicer.

And for the life of me I can't find anything that speaks to the American Southwest. It subtly suggests an odd, vague feeling of a neocolonial Spanish revival......kinda......sorta.....maybe. Or maybe not.
I'm not sure I even see Spanish colonial. The closest connection I can find is with Gaudi's architecture in Barcelona... which Catalans will insist is not even Spain!

Missing20K

Fair point!

Ok, the interiors remind me of all the knock-off Gaudi souvenirs for sale on every street corner in Barcelona. More accurate? ;)

I must take your word for it as, alas, I've yet to visit. It's high on the list of next stops. Perhaps even higher than even a certain corporation's Southeastern US theme park. It's beginning to look comparable from a price standpoint. Just have to convince the in-laws, parents, siblings and sibling-in-laws. Luckily my wife is adventurous. :hilarious:

Sir_Cliff

I must take your word for it as, alas, I've yet to visit. It's high on the list of next stops. Perhaps even higher than even a certain corporation's Southeastern US theme park. It's beginning to look comparable from a price standpoint. Just have to convince the in-laws, parents, siblings and sibling-in-laws. Luckily my wife is adventurous. :hilarious:
I recommend it! Price wise, I can't imagine it would be too far off a WDW vacation these days and you can also swing past Disneyland Paris while you're in the neighbourhood.

To kind of keep this on topic, the Sequoia Lodge at DLP is a really nice example of themed architecture without over-the-top theming. A South-Western theme with a similar approach would work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom