Official Halloween Horror Nights 2018 thread

MotherOfBirds

Another first-timer here and a weenie. I've been avoiding going with friends since high school because I don't like jumpscares, but I love the sets and costumes. I'm pretty anxious about going into any houses, especially if I wait for hours and then chicken out. I'm mostly looking at doing scare zones and rides. What would y'all recommend as a more low-key house with respect to the others?

JT3000

Another first-timer here and a weenie. I've been avoiding going with friends since high school because I don't like jumpscares, but I love the sets and costumes. I'm pretty anxious about going into any houses, especially if I wait for hours and then chicken out. I'm mostly looking at doing scare zones and rides. What would y'all recommend as a more low-key house with respect to the others?

There's really no "beginner's house" or anything like that. Slaughter Sinema is meant to be the cheesy, humorous house of the bunch, but they will still scare you, with the final scene being particularly intense in my experience. Stranger Things is a very theatrical house that tries just as hard to portray the show as it does to scare you. Blumhouse used a repetitive, not-so-scary IP for the first half of the house, so maybe that one? Those are probably your only options for easing into things. Like any haunted house, your actual experience will depend heavily on timing and the cast.

disneygeek90

As someone who was a first timer a couple weeks ago and was very scared as well, I would recommend maybe Poltergeist. The set was cool and I don't recall too many scares that get right up in your face. The white ghost thing that appeared several times was incredibly non threatening, basically just a puppet. There's a few clowns if that freaks you out but aside from that I didn't find it to be bad. Stranger things was also very easy to get through assuming you're a fan of the show. I did not get a chance to do seeds of extinction but I expect that to be fairly low key as well. Absolutely do not go through Dead Zone first (if at all).

It did get easier the more I went through. You kind of get used to the routine of them jumping out, and then leaving, nothing more. Also be aware that the audio is half of what scares you, so just expect noises. Scary Tales was quite good as it was something a bit familiar.

imperius

Dead Exposure isn’t terrible by any means. It’s supposed to be very dark with the reliance on the strobes due to the story. The story is the vaccine can cause blindness leading to the darkness experience. Also if it was your first house and you came in from the 6 o’clock sun then the darkness will be far worse due to your eyes not adjusting yet. No different than Scsrecrow last year. Go back when it’s dark outside.

JoeCamel

As someone who was a first timer a couple weeks ago and was very scared as well, I would recommend maybe Poltergeist. The set was cool and I don't recall too many scares that get right up in your face. The white ghost thing that appeared several times was incredibly non threatening, basically just a puppet. There's a few clowns if that freaks you out but aside from that I didn't find it to be bad. Stranger things was also very easy to get through assuming you're a fan of the show. I did not get a chance to do seeds of extinction but I expect that to be fairly low key as well. Absolutely do not go through Dead Zone first (if at all).

It did get easier the more I went through. You kind of get used to the routine of them jumping out, and then leaving, nothing more. Also be aware that the audio is half of what scares you, so just expect noises. Scary Tales was quite good as it was something a bit familiar.

I agree the best would be Poltergiest. Seeds is all jump scares by actors in camouflage so not my first choice. Even do scare zones til you are accustomed to the jump scares, the actors will try to catch you unaware. If you like that just pull out your phone and check your email, like moths to a flame.
Dead Exposure isn’t terrible by any means. It’s supposed to be very dark with the reliance on the strobes due to the story. The story is the vaccine can cause blindness leading to the darkness experience. Also if it was your first house and you came in from the 6 o’clock sun then the darkness will be far worse due to your eyes not adjusting yet. No different than Scsrecrow last year. Go back when it’s dark outside.
Dead was designed to scare. Would not recommend as it is all noise and jump scares. Stay up front in Stranger or Polter until you see what is happening

DRD

This HHN Stranger Things walkthrough video popped up in my youtube feed yesterday, for those who don't mind the spoilers:

JT3000

This HHN Stranger Things walkthrough video popped up in my youtube feed yesterday, for those who don't mind the spoilers:

Hollywood's, thankfully. It's not one of my favorite houses, and the lines are ridiculous, but I'll never complain about our version after seeing this. :hilarious:

PandaMandy78

I went to HHN on the 16th and had a great time. My favorite house was Trick r' Treat. I was a little bummed that Sam wasn't around outside for a quick photo-op. I also liked the Halloween 4 house. A couple of the actors in both houses startled me a little but I wasn't scared and was mostly too excited about looking at everything inside the houses. Halloween 4 was a little distracting with the flashing lights, though. The shortest wait time was Trick r' Treat. The sign said 10 minutes but it was barely even a minute to wait. The line getting there seemed to take most of the waiting time. haha. I loved the Township of Carey scare zone and the Killer Clowns scare zone. I look forward to going back to HHN some time.

Tom Morrow

Hollywood's, thankfully. It's not one of my favorite houses, and the lines are ridiculous, but I'll never complain about our version after seeing this. :hilarious:
I'll admit I've never been to Hollywood's HHN, but every video of every Hollywood HHN house I've seen looks really, really bad and very tame. Orlando's houses seem significantly more intense. They're a full on assault on your senses and pysche, and often even kind of trippy and surreal in a way.

Animaniac93-98

HHN was somewhat of a disappointment for me, and my frustrations with Universal began before I even entered the park. I’ll post the whole story after my trip.

At least Stranger Things lived up to the hype IMO and it was cool to finally see Diagon Alley in person.

DRD

So, I read something on another website just now that has me confused. Our family has zero interest in HHN. Will we still be able to access Islands of Adventure in the evenings with our regular tickets during the time that HHN is going on (I assume so?)? Also do they start shutting down Universal at a certain time for HHN?

JoeCamel

So, I read something on another website just now that has me confused. Our family has zero interest in HHN. Will we still be able to access Islands of Adventure in the evenings with our regular tickets during the time that HHN is going on (I assume so?)? Also do they start shutting down Universal at a certain time for HHN?
Yes, IoA is open to day guests til close which is 8pm I think.
USF closes to day guests at 5pm to reset for HHN

DRD

Thanks for that clarification. Kinda stinks we won't get to see DA and the dragon at night while we're there, but so be it I guess. At the time we booked the tickets the schedule for HHN hadn't been set so it was a bit of a gamble that it could work out this way.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge on the crowd levels of IoA during HHN?

Tom Morrow

Thanks for that clarification. Kinda stinks we won't get to see DA and the dragon at night while we're there, but so be it I guess. At the time we booked the tickets the schedule for HHN hadn't been set so it was a bit of a gamble that it could work out this way.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge on the crowd levels of IoA during HHN?
IOA gets a bit crowded once USF closes early for HHN, as everyone with two park admission hops over to IOA.

disneygeek90

I've done all the houses now. My general rating:

Scariest: Dead Exposure
Least Scary: Halloween (Blumhouse honorable mention)
Best Overall House: Stranger things is kinda in it's own category for me since I really like the show. But aside from that my favorite was probably Trick R Treat. Felt really really "Classic Halloween-y" while also producing nice sets and lots of different creatures and scarers.

Halloween was just an unscary masked figure jumping out at you, over and over. Same for Blumhouse, really.

Last edited:

macefamily

We did Horror Nights for our second time ever on 10/4. Last year, my favorite was The Shining so I was expecting Poltergeist to top my list this year, but no. I thought Slaughter Sinema was a slick, well thought out attraction. The Schitte kids scared the living hell out of my nephew. It had a great in-line pre-show followed up by a brilliantly laid out house.

macefamily

We paid the extra $100 for the Express Pass to try and get all of the attractions in. We didn't start until 9:00PM, and we got every house completed by 1:00AM. We only have one night so we need to take advantage of it. Some of the queues back by MIB are crazy-long and hilly. It was a humid night and it made for some uncomfortable treks.

Animaniac93-98

HHN was somewhat of a disappointment for me, and my frustrations with Universal began before I even entered the park. I’ll post the whole story after my trip.

At least Stranger Things lived up to the hype IMO and it was cool to finally see Diagon Alley in person.

Story time! (Part 1 - Things Don't Start Out Good)

I had ordered HHN tickets in advance online, choosing the "will call" option. I received a confirmation #, but no email. Concerned, I called UNI a few weeks before my trip asking about the status of my order. They said as long as you have that # and the CC you used to make the purchase, you will be fine.

OK, sounds good, right?

Wrong.

Upon arrival at UNI I was told there was no order, only the 1-day, 1-park ticket I bought back in January (and used in Feb). Apparently my card was rejected, but the website gave me a confirmation anyway without asking to try again (what?!) and nobody thought to tell me until I got there. Only option at that time was to buy a ticket then and there at full price. How does the website allow this to happen? Why was there no response (automated or otherwise) from UNI? Why did the employee I spoke with over the phone tell me I was fine (most likely, she heard me rhyme off a confirmation without bothering to check if it was real or not).

Put off by the "too bad, so sad" attitude of the employees I spoke with I went to IoA Guest Relations and made a complaint. The employee I spoke with in her own words said "that's not customer service". After filing a formal complaint, she spoke with her manager and offered to give me 30% off the front gate price. Already at UNI (after spending $ on a cab) I decided to buy it. Was it worth it?

(to be continued...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom