News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SuddenStorm

Flying will be the most sought after position for a lot of guests, true. But Shooting will be just as popular, and that'll take 2 or 3 chairs. The last 2 are engineers. While we keep raising the point that everyone will want to fly and the other 5 seats are trash, let's keep in mind that there will be guests who would prefer to shoot, and then some who don't want to drive or shoot/don't play video games, and don't want that burden of consequence on other guests who will gladly take the more passive experience in the back row.

The issue becomes that the worst seats on this ride are still as good as star tours, and the best seats may be so desirable that there is an extra wait for them. But I can imagine now that driving/flying is only so important to some guests, while shooting and being a soldier essentially is exciting for a different audience, etc. While being a back row engineer might not be exciting in this same line of thinking, there will be guests in many parties willing to let others perform the more exciting duties for no reason other than nerves/to not mess it all up for everybody.

The most sought after seat on space mountain is the front row, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the vehicle is empty.

The difference, especially on Space Mountain where you can't see anything, is that on most rides you're still getting essentially the same experience regardless of your seat. Having a completely different ride experience- whether that be flying, shooting, or flipping swit- ahem - I mean engineering will lead to people who only want to do one of the three options. Especially if they've ridden before and want to try something new, or have a preference.

There will definitely be some people who don't want to fly or shoot, but is that gonna be 2 out of every 7 people?

SuddenStorm

And yet again, this Falcon ride concept has me convinced no one of any importance on the Star Wars Land project has ever worked in a theme park. They are laughably out of touch and nearly clueless on how Disneyland actually works.

I recently picked up a 1988 Storyboard Magazine featuring an in depth interview on Splash Mountain. Lots of talk about Bruce Gordon, Tony Baxter and crew and how their creative decisions will impact the ride, park, and surrounding area. You can tell that they knew what they were doing, and how to make the ride work within Disneyland. And most importantly- you can tell that they have a love for Disneyland and wanted their project to improve the overall product.

None of the promo material I've seen for Galaxy's Edge gives me the same vibe.

SuddenStorm

I wonder why they didn't develop an X Wing style attraction. It's the easiest solution- everyone gets their own pod, and everyone gets to both fly AND shoot. Not to mention being able to interact with an R2 style droid.

In the film, it's made abundantly clear that the X wing has auto lock tech, something they could integrate into the ride and allow riders the choice to flip on and off.

The Pho

I wonder why they didn't develop an X Wing style attraction. It's the easiest solution- everyone gets their own pod, and everyone gets to both fly AND shoot. Not to mention being able to interact with an R2 style droid.

In the film, it's made abundantly clear that the X wing has auto lock tech, something they could integrate into the ride and allow riders the choice to flip on and off.

A Space Mountain/ Matterhorn style X Wing Death Star trench run Coaster would've been too obvious.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I suspect its because the capacity would be extremely low. At least with this you have 6 per pod.

And I think everyone is focused too much on a single person piloting. If I recall the movies correctly, it took two to properly pilot (pilot/co-pilot) the Falcon. And I suspect the same will be done here in the attraction. You'll have someone steering and you'll have someone in-charge of thrust and hyper-drive functions. So both are going to be equally important. The gunners are obvious. And the engineers I have a feeling are going to be more important than everyone realizes. They are going to be the ones that need to make sure things like overheating (ie push a button/flip a switch, when the hyper-engines starts to overheat or some other such mechanical issue) don't happen. Point is I don't think any seat is going to be boring.

SuddenStorm

A Space Mountain/ Matterhorn style X Wing Death Star trench run Coaster would've been too obvious.

That would have been epic. Especially with the different tech available today- they could have made something great. A facade that looks like the base on Yavin? The ability to explore the rebel base, with the station looking like a hangar? An entirely enclosed dark ride that takes you through light speed, into space, and has you flying high speed through a space battle taking place at one of the most iconic scenes in American cinema?

Would have blown my mind. And the best part? I wouldn't have had to settle as an engineer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That would have been epic. Especially with the different tech available today- they could have made something great. A facade that looks like the base on Yavin? The ability to explore the rebel base, with the station looking like a hangar? An entirely enclosed dark ride that takes you through light speed, into space, and has you flying high speed through a space battle taking place at one of the most iconic scenes in American cinema?

Would have blown my mind. And the best part? I wouldn't have had to settle as an engineer.

As we know they were trying to make this land and it attractions part of its own story. So having the Death Star run or anything from original trilogy, like Yavin, would go against that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Obviously, they would have had to start with the intention of making it a high capacity attraction- and designed it from the ground up to be high capacity.

I still think a single guest pod attraction would be too low of capacity. We're (not me specifically) already complaining about the attractions we're getting as being low capacity and it has multiple guests. A single guest pod would be worse.

sedati

I recently picked up a 1988 Storyboard Magazine featuring an in depth interview on Splash Mountain. Lots of talk about Bruce Gordon, Tony Baxter and crew and how their creative decisions will impact the ride, park, and surrounding area. You can tell that they knew what they were doing, and how to make the ride work within Disneyland. And most importantly- you can tell that they have a love for Disneyland and wanted their project to improve the overall product.

None of the promo material I've seen for Galaxy's Edge gives me the same vibe.
Has anything been more disruptive than Fantasmic?

Phroobar

As we know they were trying to make this land and it attractions part of its own story. So having the Death Star run or anything from original trilogy, like Yavin, would go against that.
Technically that's true because the land's time frame is based in the new Disney sequels. With a minor overlay to Battle Escape and a new movie for the Falcon ride it could easily be originally trilogy.

Ismael Flores

Don't forget "seven pods carrying six seats each"

That's [checks calculator] 42 people. And there are four bays. That's [checks calculator] 168 people per ride. This doesn't sound like brilliant capacity.
do we know how long is the ride length and how long for load and unload?

Ismael Flores

I've been thinking that the two attractions will probably adopt a fastpass type ticket system. Otherwise the standby wait times are going to be...out of this world!...

OK...I'll show myself out.
im hoping that since they have four bays that maybe they get smart and use one bay for fastpass and leave three bays for standby. when the fastpass is available then send standby people to the fourth bay

D.Silentu

And the engineers I have a feeling are going to be more important than everyone realizes. They are going to be the ones that need to make sure things like overheating (ie push a button/flip a switch, when the hyper-engines starts to overheat or some other such mechanical issue) don't happen. Point is I don't think any seat is going to be boring.
I feel the same. Right away when I hear about engineering I think of "The Empire Strikes Back" and how the Falcon having ongoing malfunctions was a great running joke. There's a movie based precedent for the engineer being very busy and if Imagineers are paying attention to the film then there is a well of comedy to draw from in this position. At the outset it does seem less glamorous than pilot or gunner, but if fun is the end goal I'm betting the engineer won't miss out.
On another note, has there been anything mentioned about this ride having different scenarios, like the new Star Tours?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom