News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have not seen them...

1536627288254-png.312114

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
thanks for that: Well after seeing that, it is quite frankl;y not connected to the Swan and Dolphin at all...and even has it's own pool...so technically, though in view line, it is not part of the other two landmark hotels....

Well, both Swan and Dolphin have their own pools, too, and yet, guests can freely use any of the other hotel's amenities. You can tell by how they're landscaping around the road that separates them, that they expect guests of The Office* to also use the Swolphin's amenities. This is also especially true since guests at The Office will be walking over to the Swolphin;s conference facilities, too.

The real question is whether guests of the Swolphin can use The Office's secluded pool.

*Placeholder name.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, both Swan and Dolphin have their own pools, too, and yet, guests can freely use any of the other hotel's amenities. You can tell by how they're landscaping around the road that separates them, that they expect guests of The Office* to also use the Swolphin's amenities. This is also especially true since guests at The Office will be walking over to the Swolphin;s conference facilities, too.

The real question is whether guests of the Swolphin can use The Office's secluded pool.

*Placeholder name.

The Swan and Dolphin both have a lap pools, but they share the larger pool complex.

Jambo Joe

*Placeholder name.
I am imagining saying ‘the office’ like Sheldon Cooper says it in that episode of the Big Bang.

Missing20K

I wonder if someone decided to specify floor-to-ceiling windows, thus limiting the architectural options? Not saying that you can't do something interesting with floor to ceiling windows, just that it precludes a bunch of subclasses of post-modern. Economics also probably dictated the L shaped rectangular design on the limited footprint they had to work with, so we couldn't have any interesting shapes like the Swan or the Dolphin. It's unfortunate.

Subclasses such as?

The new hotel isn’t just ugly, it creates visual chaos in that neighborhood of Crescent Lake. Any addition will create an instruison from the intended vision. That’s why the aesthetic language comes up as a compromise, but the best solution would be one that takes the east and southeast parts of the complex into consideration. As an example.

It's not great in a lot of ways. While I personally don't believe the siting is horrific, because of it's placement between the two existing hotels and across from Crescent Lake, it needed to be grounded in a complementary, if not imitative, design aesthetic. It does not appear to be grounded in any real design aesthetic other than "Curtain Wall", exposed Structure, and Revit.

Due to the vague aesthetic, it does indeed create a visual disturbances to the original complex and not in a complementary way. Siting the building in the east or southeast of the parcel, while avoiding a visual disruption to Crescent Lake, would, imo, cause even more "chaos" and compromise the integrity of the Dolphin even further. Appearing as an appendage instead of a well-thought out, carefully planned, new design (it appears this is not what is happening).

The Resorts World Hotel by Graves in Singapore that is being cited, while a visually interesting project, would not fit well with the Swolphin complex. Simply being of a similar forms and color palette would not have been sufficient to have proper interplay between the existing and the new. Also, the photo below shows a better idea of the entirety of the Resorts World complex and is a better indicator of how the singular building relates to the rest of the parcel. This would not occur at Crescent Lake with that building.

CT-HM-Sky.jpg

And of course we are all entitled to our own opinion, but this thread might be the most fun I've ever had on this site. We have not only Disney Construction fans on the forums, we have Architecture fans too!!!

Any insight as to if that was a % or fixed fee?

He ended up with a seat of the Disney Board, so I would say whichever it was, it worked out pretty well for him. I would happily exchange fees for stock and a board seat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom