Cigar Store Indian - Main Street

13*Minute*Wait

Original Poster
Has he been permanently removed from Main Street? I didn't see him this summer when we visited, which made me curious as to how long he's been gone. Doing a quick Google search, I found an article from 2017 about the various buildings on Main Street that mentions him, but can't find anything recent, including on this site. Anyone know what happened to him...and when?

Castle Cake Apologist

Has he been permanently removed from Main Street? I didn't see him this summer when we visited, which made me curious as to how long he's been gone. Doing a quick Google search, I found an article from 2017 about the various buildings on Main Street that mentions him, but can't find anything recent, including on this site. Anyone know what happened to him...and when?

He gets pulled for refurbishment every now and then, so I'm sure he'll be back soon enough. I can't speak to how long he's been missing this time, though.

N2dru

Isn't there a second statute in Frontierland like at DL? I seem to remember 2? Main street and Frontierland. I want to say he was/is near CBJ or the Shooting Arcade.

13*Minute*Wait

Original Poster
There are two of them. Or there were a few years ago.
Isn't there a second statute in Frontierland like at DL? I seem to remember 2? Main street and Frontierland. I want to say he was/is near CBJ or the Shooting Arcade.

There were 2 of them, and yes, the other was in Frontierland. I haven't paid attention to see if the Fontierland one is still there, but if we make it over to that side of the park Friday, I'll keep an eye out and report back.

geekza

What's the story behind the guy?
There used to be a tobacco shop on Main St. It was a different time, to be sure. Cigar Store Indians were a common fixture outside of cigar stores in the past. Honestly, as much as it added period detail when the park opened, now that there's no tobacco shop, I'm not sure how much longer it will be around. Times have changed and Cigar Store Indians aren't exactly the most culturally-appropriate artifacts any more in a family park. I mean, let's be honest: if this was supposed to be reminiscent of small-town Missouri at the turn of the 20th Century, you'd probably see a lawn jockey or two. No waaaay would anyone be okay with that today.

Not trying to troll, I promise. It's just something I'm sure that Disney is thinking about right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away permanently; if not now, then soon.

KBLovedDisney

There used to be a tobacco shop on Main St. It was a different time, to be sure. Cigar Store Indians were a common fixture outside of cigar stores in the past. Honestly, as much as it added period detail when the park opened, now that there's no tobacco shop, I'm not sure how much longer it will be around. Times have changed and Cigar Store Indians aren't exactly the most culturally-appropriate artifacts any more in a family park. I mean, let's be honest: if this was supposed to be reminiscent of small-town Missouri at the turn of the 20th Century, you'd probably see a lawn jockey or two. No waaaay would anyone be okay with that today.

Not trying to troll, I promise. It's just something I'm sure that Disney is thinking about right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away permanently; if not now, then soon.
Ah, there was (or possibly still is) a statue like that in my home town's cigar store in the mall. I never quite knew what they were there for but now it makes sense.

13*Minute*Wait

Original Poster
... It was a different time, to be sure... now that there's no tobacco shop, I'm not sure how much longer it will be around. Times have changed and Cigar Store Indians aren't exactly the most culturally-appropriate artifacts any more in a family park...I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away permanently; if not now, then soon.

This is what I had assumed had happened already.

I visited my mom over the summer and went through old pictures of when my parents took me to WDW when I was a 10. There was a picture of me holding a cup with a straw up to that Indian, pretending to be giving him a drink. It made me think, "when was the last time I saw that Indian...I wonder if he's still there?" So when we went to the parks last month, I looked for him, but he wasn't there anymore. I didn't see a cast member close by that I thought to ask about him. When we got back from our trip, I did a little research, but couldn't find anything regarding his removal. I'm interested to see if he's back when we go this weekend, and will try to make it over to Frontierland to see if that one is still there.

eliza61nyc

They were still there in April. my son always tries to get a picture with him.

DSC_0539.JPG

Dog Ate Mouse

This is what I love about you people. Some of the little details you folks get into is amazing and fascinating. I would have never paid that much attention to detail because my mind is taken in by all the colors and scenery that i lose track or never paid attention to. I really need to wake up a little more and smell the coffee instead of my eyes and mind getting over loaded with joy being there just seeing all the beauty there is to see. That Indian is cool looking and adds to the main street flair

13*Minute*Wait

Original Poster
We were briefly in Frontierland on Friday night, but from what I could tell, the other Cigar Store Indian is no longer here either.

righttrack

Historically the Taino "Indians" (Native Americans) were the people the explorers encountered on the island of Hispanola. They performed "Cohiba" a tobacco smoking ceremony led by a "Behike", a Native American shaman/like leader who took their prayers to the "Atabey" a Native American god. If some of those words are familiar to you, then maybe you know something about cigars. The typical Native American Chief is out of place as a point of reference because the Taino definitely had a different look. I do appreciate these as art because they are individually carved and typically made respectfully. They belong outside tobacco shops. Since WDW doesn't have a tobacconist any longer, it's fine to get rid of IMO.

spock

Historically the Taino "Indians" (Native Americans) were the people the explorers encountered on the island of Hispanola. They performed "Cohiba" a tobacco smoking ceremony led by a "Behike", a Native American shaman/like leader who took their prayers to the "Atabey" a Native American god. If some of those words are familiar to you, then maybe you know something about cigars. The typical Native American Chief is out of place as a point of reference because the Taino definitely had a different look. I do appreciate these as art because they are individually carved and typically made respectfully. They belong outside tobacco shops. Since WDW doesn't have a tobacconist any longer, it's fine to get rid of IMO.

It's not an uncommon practice for Disney to leave something behind whenever they repurpose a building or attraction. I actually love that the Indian has remained long after it stopped being a tobacco shop. I hope he comes back!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom