News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Lensman

if built years ago, i'd agree...
far too much, but, then again, poppins always deserved far more

a bonfide theatrical classic, an impeccable score, easily the greatest live action from the studio, and one of the old man's favs -
she belongs in a long and continuous line of grossly underutilized properties standing idly by (likely while some lame fad is chased) and is 1000% disney - could that be the prob? :cautious:

the fact it took a remake to even seriously consider featuring her for an attraction after doing nothing all these years is flatly absurd
:facepalm:
This got me thinking about theme park rights to Mary Poppins. Does anyone know the details of the contract with the Travers estate?

While I was (unsuccessfully) researching this on my own, I came across the following interesting blog post.
https://learcenter.org/mary-poppins-does-not-come-back/

Rich Brownn

This got me thinking about theme park rights to Mary Poppins. Does anyone know the details of the contract with the Travers estate?

While I was (unsuccessfully) researching this on my own, I came across the following interesting blog post.
https://learcenter.org/mary-poppins-does-not-come-back/
Interesting. Because I remember reading she had not only sold sequel right but even rights for a TV series to Disney, and that the only holdup for a sequel was the fact Walt realized Julie Andrews would now be too expensive for Disney and didn't want to do it without her. In Mary Poppins, She Wrote, the author was quoted as saying "Yes. And in the beginning, she was quite praising of the film, because she believed there was going to be a sequel. But Disney died in 1966, so that didn't happen. And as time went on, she got more and more annoyed with the film, and disliked it more and more, for being false to what she had created." But others said there wasn't rights. But I also dont seem to see anything that states Disney negotiated for a new set of rights for the sequel with the Travers estate either. (The fact that the songwriters are Americans, something Travers explicit refused for the stage version, seems to be to correlate this was a previous agreement made around the same time as the original film)

geekza

Speaking of Mary Poppins Returns, the official trailer just dropped this morning.

Well, I'll be. That trailer sold me. Hand-drawn animation, fantasy situations, Deeck Van Diek (Flemish spelling.), musical numbers with chimney sweeps, Emily Blunt bringing the sass. The teaser did nothing for me. This one gave me chills. They'd better not screw it up.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Speaking of Mary Poppins Returns, the official trailer just dropped this morning.

I didn't see the cameo from Michael Rooker...
Well, I'll be. That trailer sold me. Hand-drawn animation, fantasy situations, Deeck Van Diek (Flemish spelling.), musical numbers with chimney sweeps, Emily Blunt bringing the sass. The teaser did nothing for me. This one gave me chills. They'd better not screw it up.
I can't wait to see the creepy recuts show up on YouTube...

PorterRedkey

Are they going to fix Rat? In paris the static vehicles are uninspiring and the vast concrete floors in front of the giant screens break any immersion you may have felt
If the floors bother you that much, ride in the back row. The illusion is better from the back position IMHO. Where the screen meets the floor is hidden by the riders in front of you.

Oh, and someone earlier said Rat was a thrill ride. It is not. It is a well-themed family dark ride with some nice effects.

PorterRedkey

Thank you for this. God that looks great. Lines up with my idea of a Cherry Tree Lane area, although along with a great dark ride, I'd like an Admiral Boom's gift shop and an Uncle Albert tea house. Admiral Boom's could have a mock-cannon firing off every now and then, with the Admiral himself doing the honors with ceremonial flourish. Nice counter to the dragon on top of Gringott's in Universal's Potterland. Ah, it's fun to dream...
I've posted this before but I thought you might like it.

Here is a short video of Tony Baxter explaining the Poppin's ride he designed.

Rodan75

I feel almost the opposite. The trailer didn't quite get me there...but I'm still optimistic for this movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom