Space Mountain Refurb Brainstorming

T.Will

Original Poster
Space Mountain is an icon to WDW and my favorite ride at the resort (if that wasn't obvious). However, the ride needs some fixing up.

My ideas are simple.

Retrack the ride: The layout is the same, but with a smoother track. It might need more banking for it to work, but that would be the only big change to the layout. Also, utilizing a silent lift hill.

Vehicle redesign: A new vehicle could allow for a more comfortable seat. Can't widen it to two seats, but would replace the T-bar with a seatbelt for extra room for bags and the sort.

Audio: Onboard music with offboard sound effects. I would have a variation on the music currently in the ride instead of ripping DL's SM as it gives WDW's SM its own vibe. Queue music will remain and the exit music could either be the current one or the one that's a variation on the queue music [the first track when you enter in].

Queue: With the games gone, use the screens to have more interesting stuff instead of stars (maybe even add some small easter eggs for fun). And open up at least the Omega windows for the Peoplemover to see inside.

Those are my ideas and I would love to hear other people's ideas.

Paper straw fan

Has anyone rode during Not so scary yet? Wife said the ride is pitch black with music playing and that it is awesome. I could see an easy refurb being slowly upgrade the track to make it less rickety, maybe new cars that are comfortable to someone over 5'2, and yeah, speakers on the headrests is a good idea.

I miss the arcade in the gift shop too- even if it was all big flying/driving simulators (and I miss the pinball machines) that'd be cool.

May as well turn the screens back on in line too- I guess the counter there is that when the line does move, and little Braxjayden doesn't want to move because he's playing fake asteroids, it can get a bit irritating.

T.Will

Original Poster
May as well turn the screens back on in line too- I guess the counter there is that when the line does move, and little Braxjayden doesn't want to move because he's playing fake asteroids, it can get a bit irritating.
I think with the new Disney Play game, the original games are kind of pointless. My main thing is that the screens are now just stars, which is good (I personally think it's better than the games), but it could have a little more going on. With the models of planets and rocket ships on the other side of the queue, it becomes a little lopsided in terms of interesting scenery.

WEDwaydatamover

Fine ideas. I like keeping the mountain as original in layout as possible.

Disneyland has a smoother ride and better sound but in my opinion cannot even compete with MK and the reckless feeling of danger as badly in need of repair as it is.

I'd like a new track in the same layout. Same low slung rockets. I'd like to see the glow strip back. Maybe a tinted glass over the queue for those who say it's too bright. Maybe paint the steel track supports black to counter the lighting.

I hate the queue games. What happened to the good old days of no queue games and no fast passes and an hour plus long wait and the anticipation while having to actually connect with those in your party.

Surely I'm alone on this one

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

I mean, I could see either a glorified screen saver where hitting the buttons makes something mild but noticeable happen, or... let those be the screens for some sort of game like D Play mobile game, where either you answer questions a la Soarin, or maybe a version of the game granny is playing in CoP? Take that you nincompoop!

T.Will

Original Poster
I guess so. But since they took out the buttons, I'm not sure if they would reinstall them.

But we're brainstorming here, so anything goes.

Paper straw fan

I hate the queue games. What happened to the good old days of no queue games and no fast passes and an hour long wait and the anticipation while having to actually connect with those in your party.

Surely I'm alone on this one

I'll disagree, only because of the part you said- ONE HOUR just standing there, possibly with kids- I don't care who you are, you are going to run out of things to talk about with your party waiting an hour in line, especially after spending all day/week with said people. I don't have enough topics to keep that convo going, unless the person behind me in line is Oprah or Justin Timberlake.

I loathe people who don't look up from their phones, or who need backup chargers during the day because they are on them so much they kill the battery (or by live streaming every show, ride, and walk down Main Street) but I mean, yeah for an hour wait, I'd gladly let kids watch PAW Patrol instead of driving everyone around crazy. And if there's some game in the queue to help distract everyone? Super- they have the screens, just maybe make some glorified mobile game to distract everyone for at least 15 minutes of that time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Space Mountain is an icon to WDW and my favorite ride at the resort (if that wasn't obvious). However, the ride needs some fixing up.

My ideas are simple.

Retrack the ride: The layout is the same, but with a smoother track. It might need more banking for it to work, but that would be the only big change to the layout. Also, utilizing a silent lift hill.

Vehicle redesign: A new vehicle could allow for a more comfortable seat. Can't widen it to two seats, but would replace the T-bar with a seatbelt for extra room for bags and the sort.

Audio: Onboard music with offboard sound effects. I would have a variation on the music currently in the ride instead of ripping DL's SM as it gives WDW's SM its own vibe. Queue music will remain and the exit music could either be the current one or the one that's a variation on the queue music [the first track when you enter in].

Queue: With the games gone, use the screens to have more interesting stuff instead of stars (maybe even add some small easter eggs for fun). And open up at least the Omega windows for the Peoplemover to see inside.

Those are my ideas and I would love to hear other people's ideas.
Everything you propose was cancelled by the company in 2008.

T.Will

Original Poster
Everything you propose was cancelled by the company in 2008.
I know, but to let SM just sit there with no love put into it is a bit depressing. Not to mention, MK has changed since 2009 and will be different in 2021. I don't see why they couldn't do a refurbishment after Tron opens.

WEDwaydatamover

Paper straw fan. I appreciate your sentiments but personally my strongest Disney memories are standing in lines or outside of lines and having no choice but to soak all the magic in. How aweful!

I'm not literally saying that I would rather wait an hour vs 10 minutes but there is a trade off that you might not immediately "get" or appreciate.

I would have super vague memories of the parks while being bourdoned IMing or posing for narcies to 300 followers somewhere out there to "like".

At least if it was on a rugged compound of 300 followers in the real world I could respect the efforts of such.

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

Paper straw fan. I appreciate your sentiments but personally my strongest Disney memories are standing in lines or outside of lines and having no choice but to soak all the magic in. How aweful!

I would have super vague memories of the parks while being bourdoned IMing or posing for narcies to 300 followers somewhere out there to "like".

At least if it was on a rugged compound of 300 followers in the real world I could respect the efforts of such.

Yeah I have seen that discussion on other threads, and I'll have to simultaneously agree that yes, smart phones have taken away quite a bit of real life interactions, but...there's no way on earth I could go back now.

Agreed that the lack of phones would probably stimulate some conversations, and, depending on the people next to us in line, we still do have those chats some times with others and ourselves. There's no way I'm going phones up the moment a line stops moving, but at the same time it can be a distraction.

But I guess you and I have vastly different memories of WDW lines in the pioneer days (the 80's haha) not sure if you are kidding about the lines, but especially anything outdoors, most lines over 45 minutes I remember being bored out of my mind as a kid. It wasn't like I was going to discuss the rise and fall of Carthage during the Punic Wars with my sister. Now granted, the final 5 or so minutes when you know you are close is pretty exciting, but that's partially because the waiting is about to be over, which is more relief than fun. And I'd rather the family next to me have their kids pacified by Dora the Explorer over running all over the place screaming. If it wasn't smartphones, in the past it was Gameboys, small toys, etc.

It's like most things, a little is fine to me, but there's a limit to it.

T.Will

Original Poster
Physical asteroid props, just think of the possibilities.
Going off that, maybe some projections of a black hole in the middle of the spiral downwards (the one after the big drop and before the red tunnel). It would look like you were starting to be sucked into the black hole but you break free.

Smiley/OCD

Has anyone rode during Not so scary yet? Wife said the ride is pitch black with music playing and that it is awesome. I could see an easy refurb being slowly upgrade the track to make it less rickety, maybe new cars that are comfortable to someone over 5'2, and yeah, speakers on the headrests is a good idea.

I miss the arcade in the gift shop too- even if it was all big flying/driving simulators (and I miss the pinball machines) that'd be cool.

I don't know...I'm 6'3", and I have no problems getting in and out of the ship

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom