Tropical Hideaway Construction - Tiki Room Refurbishment - Adventureland Entry Remodel

Figments Friend

Good to see some attention being given to this area.
I am interested to see how they handle the redevelopment of this entrance portal to the land.
Hoping for true enhancements that compliment the already established theme, and tasteful expansion.
Please don't turn it into a excessively wide concrete path.
Part of the feel of Disneyland's Adventureland is the 'winding paths' feel to the area.

Also hoping for a excellent refurb for the Tiki Room.
Always pleased to hear when that is getting some additional love.
It still looked really nice when I last saw it a year ago, so it's good they feel it needs attention regardless.

The new Tropical Hideaway project I have been following as it seems like a welcome addition to make that space productive again.
I'm also looking forward to seeing how it turns out when work is completed.
Please, please let there indeed be a animatronic bird or two on display there as the concept art shows.
The 'return' of the Barker Bird would be a bit of welcome fan service, and having such animated eye candy would be a fun throwback to the Tiki Room's original resturant concept.
:)

-

Old Mouseketeer

i hope they dont remove the waterways, it is also the one area where the annual ducklings hang out for safety and a cool swim

They can't. Or at least if they did they would have to bury a huge pipe to connect Jungle Cruise with the Castle Moat, because that water system is one continuous circle: ROA to Storybook to Motorboat to Castle Moat to Jungle Cruise to ROA. When they fully drain ROA and stop the continuous cycle, the water around the Adventureland and Frontierland entrances gets really stagnant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They can't. Or at least if they did they would have to bury a huge pipe to connect Jungle Cruise with the Castle Moat, because that water system is one continuous circle: ROA to Storybook to Motorboat to Castle Moat to Jungle Cruise to ROA. When they fully drain ROA and stop the continuous cycle, the water around the Adventureland and Frontierland entrances gets really stagnant.

Not saying they would, but its not hard to drain it and then back fill with dirt. Actually its really easy and would take a day, maybe a week if they have to replace any pipe.

But really they are likely just widening the bridges.

Practical Pig

Indeed they would. For any interested, here's a little info about Disneyland's Big River System:

https://discuss.micechat.com/blogs/samland/7380949-

Practical Pig

Yet...if they are going to allow drinks at DL, this is the next prime spot (I hope).

I've advocated for this before. The whole tiki bar thing is just so on-the-nose here. But reconsidering the size of the space and how likely it is that it will become an AP campground, and how popular a tiki bar here would be, I fear that the huge line waiting to get in would bottleneck Adventureland more than just leaving that space unused.

It needs to go vertical. Bring on Treetop Tapas & Tipsy's Triple Tipples!

Old Mouseketeer

I've advocated for this before. The whole tiki bar thing is just so on-the-nose here. But reconsidering the size of the space and how likely it is that it will become an AP campground, and how popular a tiki bar here would be, I fear that the huge line waiting to get in would bottleneck Adventureland more than just leaving that space unused.

It needs to go vertical. Bring on Treetop Tapas & Tipsy's Triple Tipples!

OK, that settles it. Replace Tomorrowland with a giant Tiki Bar!!! "Oh there's a great big, beautiful Tiki Bar...."

TP2000

Original Poster
This photo of adjacent walkway work to Adventureland, in Frontierland, came up in the excellent Permits thread that @SSG maintains. But since I don't want to hijack his thread, I'll put this here as it involves the walkway work park-wide.

Photo_1470-Disneyland.jpg

Off Topic Rant: Oh My Goodness! Would you look at that ridiculous little swap meet of pins this lady has set up on a bench! Not only is that tacky, but it's rude and discourteous! As if Disneyland exists so this lady can come to the park and hawk her pins. And she apparently thinks Disneyland management puts benches here NOT for paying customers to sit, but so she can set up shop?

I know there's not much profit motive here for her, but there is money involved in her collection. Why on earth does Disneyland management put up with such nonsense? Tokyo Disneyland dipped their toe into pin trading in the early 2000's, and realized that it encourages EXACTLY this type of behavior, and Tokyo management quickly got rid of pin traders and pin trading inside their parks.

I wish Disneyland management had the backbone to do the same.

Back On Topic for Walkways/Park Modifications: I'm curious to see the final outcome of all these planter and walkway modifications. The basic walkway setup in these lands on Disneyland's western half was last edited and adjusted in the mid 1990's, after the debut of Fantasmic! in 1992 led to a rethink on crowd control processes for that hugely popular show. The number of park visitors has almost tripled since then, when you consider that TDA execs use the often discussed "Click Math" to their attendance, and nearly all of the "First Click" numbers going in to DCA have the ability to park hop back over to Disneyland in the same day via AP's or park-hopper tickets.

Disneyland Park Attendance 1994 = 10.3 Million
Disneyland/DCA Attendance 2017 = 27.9 Million

You could easily argue that many of these current walkway and crowd control modifications should have been done a decade ago, after the 50th Anniversary launched Disneyland Resort into a new Golden Age of huge tourist crowds and local love. But better late than never. I'm still going to be really interested to see what effect these changes have on the place aesthetically. It's likely going to be a combination of improvements and disappointments, but the final result will be interesting to see!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Off Topic Rant: Oh My Goodness! Would you look at that ridiculous little swap meet of pins this lady has set up on a bench! Not only is that tacky, but it's rude and discourteous! As if Disneyland exists so this lady can come to the park and hawk her pins. And she apparently thinks Disneyland management puts benches here NOT for paying customers to sit, but so she can set up shop?

I know there's not much profit motive here for her, but there is money involved in her collection. Why on earth does Disneyland management put up with such nonsense? Tokyo Disneyland dipped their toe into pin trading in the early 2000's, and realized that it encourages EXACTLY this type of behavior, and Tokyo management quickly got rid of pin traders and pin trading inside their parks.

Pin Trading is basically just another thing for APs to do when coming to the park weekly.

Didn't they use to have areas setup specifically for Pin Trading? If not they should have it.

Back On Topic for Walkways/Park Modifications: I'm curious to see the final outcome of all these planter and walkway modifications. The basic walkway setup in these lands on Disneyland's western half was last edited and adjusted in the mid 1990's, after the debut of Fantasmic! in 1992 led to a rethink on crowd control processes for that hugely popular show. The number of park visitors has almost tripled since then, when you consider that TDA execs use the often discussed "Click Math" to their attendance, and nearly all of the "First Click" numbers going in to DCA have the ability to park hop back over to Disneyland in the same day via AP's or park-hopper tickets.

You could easily argue that many of these current walkway and crowd control modifications should have been done a decade ago, after the 50th Anniversary launched Disneyland Resort into a new Golden Age of huge tourist crowds and local love. But better late than never. I'm still going to be really interested to see what effect these changes have on the place aesthetically. It's likely going to be a combination of improvements and disappointments, but the final result will be interesting to see!

I agree, something they should have done a long time ago.

Antaundra

This photo of adjacent walkway work to Adventureland, in Frontierland, came up in the excellent Permits thread that @SSG maintains. But since I don't want to hijack his thread, I'll put this here as it involves the walkway work park-wide.

Hasn’t this issue more or less corrected itself? I haven’t actually seen this kind of behavior in the parks for years. It used to be a huge problem all of Tomorrowland used to be a pin trading plaza. Now there’s an occasional die hard but they’re few and far between.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, they used to have it in that general area...I think there were some round tall tables there at one point,

So are you saying that Disneyland construction walls have displaced Pin Traders? :eek:

Why is there not more outcry for that?!? We're losing the charm of the Pin Trading area....

;):p:cool:

Anyways, they should setup a new area (or re-setup the old area once construction walls come down).

Ismael Flores

At least she is in a nook instead of blocking the entrance like most adult strollers do.

a couple weeks ago, this man on one of those motorized chairs actually stopped right in the middle of the walkway between the dole whip line, the shop and bathroom area. it was right in the middle. he got up and then walked like ten feet to the bathroom. I was about to tel him to move it when someone else called him an idiot and thenturned on the movile thing and moved it towards the edge of the walkway.

its amazing how brainless people can be

Ismael Flores

Yes, they used to have it in that general area...I think there were some round tall tables there at one point,
yes i remember they used to be on the opposite side next to a pin cart. it used to hide the small pathway that connected with the new small theater and meet and greet next to castle

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom