2018 The Wonder of Alaskan Cruise

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Sailing into Vancouver. Our cruise is almost over!! :(
E59AA152-EE47-4B54-87AB-FB4CB06195B4.jpeg

ChuckElias

Our cruise day is finally here!!

After more than a year of planning, the day has arrived!

It’s only 6 am here but I’m showered and dressed and packed! Can’t you tell how excited I am?

Donald is excited as well and can’t wait to get on the water. He’s examining the lanyard that I assembled just for the cruise. It is full of DCL pins that I’m going to wear at the port. But Donald thinks that he should be the one wearing it. I don’t think so. We may have a fight on this and feathers may fly!

View attachment 309121

We will be off to get breakfast and then catch a cab to Canada place to meet up with our group.

It’s finally here!!

Zz
First of all, I can't believe that I"m just finding your thread today. Second, I can't wait to read the rest. Third, I have 4 of the pins on your lanyard. I'm jealous of the Transatlantic pin; and I don't recognize the top right pin. Got a close up?

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I am back, and tired, and think that I need a vacation to recover from my vacation. Even Donald is cranky and refuses to wake up this morning.

I'm starting to sort out the stuff that I bought, and the photos+videos that I took. It will take a while, but they will appear here soon enough.

Having this wonderful cruise coming to an end would have been depressing if we didn't already have a trip to WDW planned for the beginning of December this year. So that is something that I can look forward to. And even more exciting than that, we have already booked a cruise on the Disney Fantasy to eastern Caribbean in Oct. of next year. It will be an 8-night cruise to St. Kitts, Antigua, and Puerto Rico, and of course, Castaway Cay. This will be the only DCL cruise next near having this particular itinerary. It will also be one of the Halloween on the High Seas cruise. So yeah, I'm excited already!

Anyhow, I need to go shopping for food, because the fridge is almost empty!

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
First of all, I can't believe that I"m just finding your thread today. Second, I can't wait to read the rest. Third, I have 4 of the pins on your lanyard. I'm jealous of the Transatlantic pin; and I don't recognize the top right pin. Got a close up?

I'll get you a close-up of the pin when I dig through my luggage later today.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
And speaking of lanyards (notice how things segue into the other?), I bought a lanyard to go with those two pins.
IMG_8776.JPG

Notice how the design matches the two LE pins that I showed earlier.

And if you have a lanyard, you can't not have a medal to go with it. So here is the medal for the Alaskan cruise this year:
IMG_8774.JPG

The picture doesn't do it justice, because it is a nice, thick, silvery medal. I love the design with the whale tail.

But here's the REAL KICKER: All of the Alaska-related merchandise on the ship were....... 40% off!! So those pins, the lanyard, and the medal, along with t-shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc, that are related to the 2018 Alaska cruise were all 40% off!

I guess that's the bonus of going on the very last cruise of the year!

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
You didn't happen get a couple extra to trade, did you?

I did buy a few extra sets. But being in a pin-trading group here in the Chicago area, I believe all of the extras have been spoken for.

I'll let you know if I have leftovers. You should have told me earlier! :)

Zz.

love disney

It was great reading through your posts and seeing the pictures! My wife and I are saving up for an Alaska cruise for our 10 year anniversary in 2021. We will most likely be doing the Sept. sailing as well...what was the temperature like while you were there? Were the pools on the cruise heated enough that folks actually used them?

ZapperZ

Original Poster
It was great reading through your posts and seeing the pictures! My wife and I are saving up for an Alaska cruise for our 10 year anniversary in 2021. We will most likely be doing the Sept. sailing as well...what was the temperature like while you were there? Were the pools on the cruise heated enough that folks actually used them?

The weather couldn't be anymore perfect, at least for the 1st half of the cruise. Icy Strait Point and Skagway had sunny, comfortable temperatures, which even the locals said was unusual. We had good weather during the first half at Juneau, but it started to lightly drizzle by the 2nd half, but it was still pleasant. We had light drizzle/rain at Ketchikan, which, from what we have been told, us usual for Ketchikan.

Several of the crew on the ship told us that it was the best weather they had seen during their entire sojourn into Alaska for this season. So I'm guessing that what we experienced was not common. I'd say that no matter at what time of the year you come to Alaska, you need to be prepared for the best and worst weather. It was actually colder, obviously, on the top deck of the ship, especially when we were on the move.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I'll start my recap of the trip with our first full day in Vancouver before we embarked on the cruise. This was the day after we arrived. The highlight of the day was a visit to Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, which I highly recommend (if you're not scared of heights).
1.jpg

We were greeted with lots of amazing totem poles. I didn't get to read all the details of the totem poles because, frankly, I was itching to get onto the suspension bridge.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

The main attraction to the park is of course, its namesake. It is 450 ft long, and I don't know how high, but it looked pretty high. The pictures do not give a clear sense of height, but if you've been here, you know how high it was, and it was exhilarating.

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

cont....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom