News Disney Early Morning Magic comes to Toy Story Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kman101

You don’t look at another perspective. I gave legitimate reasons as to why Disney shouldn’t be “different” in this scenario. It’s impossible not to acknowledge what the trends of entertainment and travel have become. It’s called reality.

If reality is considered a rabbit hole, then I’ll gladly choose to live in it.

I get it , some of you like to complain and not have any facts brought into a scenario.
Lesson learned, carry on with the complaints..

This post just made me laugh. You do you. And for the record I absolutely "get" what you're saying. I understand your perspective. We just disagree. It has nothing to do with "facts".

Last edited:

kong1802

There’s no incentive for Disney to do what you’re saying.

They know that not everyone is going to pay for an extra early morning hour, they don’t want them to. If everyone did it then it would be the same thing as an EMH, and no one would pay for it.

Not to mention the fact that these events sell out quickly, so obviously there’s a limited number available.

The “Magic” is being in an empty Fantasyland or Toy Story Land. That’s the whole purpose of it, and why it’s a sell out.

Think of another perspective though..

A lot of people travel to more than Disney. Everywhere they go provides them with options to customize. Gives them choices for more exclusive events. These people are busy at their home lives and look for something to really make good use of time and share some special moments with their family while on vacation.

Now, those people are looking at a Disney vacation, they don’t see any options..

In this scenario it doesn’t benefit Disney to be “different”. It definitely doesn’t benefit the consumer who’s looking for that extra customization.

Not trying to be rude, but this post has been cracking me up for the last half hour.....I'm picturing the below scenario as the scenario the brain child who invented upsells used to get this one green lit....

I'm picturing a nice young couple who travels the globe. They are perusing through a high end travel magazine while on their beach front mansion. Husband asks wife, "whats this Disney place I've seen advertised in here? Let's do some research to see if we want to visit!" Wife agrees, and they go to the interwebs for their research. On the home page, they keep searching "customizable options". They don't see any, so they say, "forget that weird place with no customizable options to make our vacation special for our family! To the Alps we go as they have a plethora of customized offerings!" End scene.....

Given the above scenario, I see the errors in my thinking. Customized options are the only reason people go. If there weren't any options like there are in Bora Bora, then the whole place would go back to swamp land. Thank the space gods they don't listen to me. Really dodged a bullet there. Those facts really highlight how dumb we all are and how smart WDW is.

21stamps

Not trying to be rude, but this post has been cracking me up for the last half hour.....I'm picturing the below scenario as the scenario the brain child who invented upsells used to get this one green lit....

I'm picturing a nice young couple who travels the globe. They are perusing through a high end travel magazine while on their beach front mansion. Husband asks wife, "whats this Disney place I've seen advertised in here? Let's do some research to see if we want to visit!" Wife agrees, and they go to the interwebs for their research. On the home page, they keep searching "customizable options". They don't see any, so they say, "forget that weird place with no customizable options to make our vacation special for our family! To the Alps we go as they have a plethora of customized offerings!" End scene.....

Given the above scenario, I see the errors in my thinking. Customized options are the only reason people go. If there weren't any options like there are in Bora Bora, then the whole place would go back to swamp land. Thank the space gods they don't listen to me. Really dodged a bullet there. Those facts really highlight how dumb we all are and how smart WDW is.

I did not got to WDW during Easter Week of 2017 because EMM wasn’t offered on my dates, and because I don’t like the new itinerary for the Ultimate Day of Thrills tour, and because I can’t afford to do a private VIP tour.

So, we went to a Great Wolf Lodge and an amusement park instead.

Depending on the length of the trip, I want/need those options.. especially when it’s only a short trip.

briangaw

This post just made me laugh. You do you. And for the record I absolutely "get" what you're saying. I understand your perspective. We just disagree. It has nothing to do with "facts".

I think there is such disagreement over the upsells and complaints on the forums regarding them, because a few things get conflated. I think the well founded and evidence based criticism really lies with Disney's management of demand and playing way to close to the margin for operations as well as capital improvements. Should the operating hours be longer and the staffing higher and more attractions opened to match the demand they are seeing? I would say 100% absolutely, emphatically yes!!! This is absolutely my bone to pick with Disney and they should be more on their game in this regard. There has been a degradation in the visitor experience due to this. Disney probably has some decent to valid arguments for not extending hours, because there is probably a diminishing utility to it at some point, but I digress. However, I think the upsell events become the scapegoat for this.

I think the real question is if DHS opened at 7 am and closed at 10 pm (and the park was still busy, with wait times, but was more manageable how it used to be) and then this upsell event was offered at 6 am before opening would there be as much discussion? I think not. I think conflating the two as if park hours are being cut because of upsells such as this one (the parties are a whole other ballgame and I agree in that specific case) is silly. Park hours have been cut and capacity too to manage margins which is terrible, but to think it is like a dark and nefarious thing is a tad tin foil hat for me. I am open to being corrected, but I believe that the parties and events such as this are put on and managed by an events group outside of operations. They are most probably given the park hours and then plan these upsells around that. And I do believe if the park opened at 8 am that then there would be a 7 am upsell planned and marketed. And I think that is @21stamps ultimate point. That the upsells and premium experience are an industry trend and increasing expectation. And really there is nothing to complain about. I think if the regular operations were being appropriately managed that the upsells would not get so much ire. We should be demanding more as consumers from Disney in its operations (the real issue) and not wasting time on chastising the upsells.

Setting the bar for others + Being a leader = "Yesterday's" Disney = No longer applicable because...

Regressing to the mean + Following industry trends = "Today's" Disney = "Rational thoughts". Gotcha.

I know you probably oversimplifying, but we all know that Disney in many ways still sets the bar. Also it is very easy to "set the bar" when you are the only game in town. The fact is that Disney does complete in an increasing crowded space and it would be silly for them not to look at the industry trends. Meet those demands, create new demand and continue to set a high bar. Kodak really did well continuing to set the high bar for film cameras. Disney does need to innovate and provide the experiences the consumers demand or folks stop going. Another way to have folks stop going is to degrade existing offerings and products and again nothing above is excusing the mismanagement of demand and looking at squeezing margins too tight. Just putting it out there that Disney can have it's cake and eat it too by following trends while still exceeding expectations and innovating. Not a zero sum game.

geekza

So, have we decided whether or not we like this yet?
It's almost $100 for 75 minutes. If you factor in the real (sane) cost of a danish and some avocado toast, that's still around $30 a ride. Add to that the fact that breakfast is going to be served in a different part of the park, so you'll need to leave TSL to get to it. Will people pay for it? Yup. Is it the dumbest upcharge Disney has come up with so far? I'd say it's in the running.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It's almost $100 for 75 minutes. If you factor in the real (sane) cost of a danish and some avocado toast, that's still around $30 a ride. Add to that the fact that breakfast is going to be served in a different part of the park, so you'll need to leave TSL to get to it. Will people pay for it? Yup. Is it the dumbest upcharge Disney has come up with so far? I'd say it's in the running.

$1.25 a minute to get access to the only area of the park appropriate for the 3-5 set. What a deal! Er, seperate park admission required. So uh, now it's $200 for this access. But you get some Guacamole on toast!!!!

Where do I sign?

ThatMouse

I'm having trouble trying to define who these events are for. I'm wondering if we as the frequent customer should assign a word to it like "extravagant" or something to mean this is for upper class or people on social media with extreme FOMO (fear of missing out). Something to say, hey here is some new offerings, but be aware that this isn't something we as Disney experts recommend you ever doing.

Kman101

They are thinking the rubes will pay. And you know what, they probably will.

Of course they will. And so will the lifestylers who have to post photos and blog/vlog about it and be the first to try it (and I like many of them, it's not a knock on them personally). Disney knows what they're doing with these things ... they know they have a solid audience who will pay. Otherwise why keep doing these stupid things? Before anyone comes in saying "choices" ...

Purduevian

I actually might consider this to SAVE money on a WDW trip. I would be traveling with someone that does not like dark scary rides so no ToT, RnR, Dinosaur. This means HS and AK are kind of half day parks if we fastpass AK and do EMM at HS.
For a mid-DEC trip
No EMM Cost for 2:
5 nights at Pop with 4 day tickets (No Hopper): $1512.88
Food for 4 days: $320 (being very cheap)
Total $1832.88

With EMM
4 nights at Pop with 3 day park hopper (half a MGM/AK day due to EMM): $1325.52
EMM x2 =$170ish (with tax)
Food for 3 days, with 1 brunch paid for: $215

Total: $1710.52

It's not a huge savings but putting an extra $120 towards food AND saving vacation time might be worth it to me.

MaximumEd

I'm having trouble trying to define who these events are for. I'm wondering if we as the frequent customer should assign a word to it like "extravagant" or something to mean this is for upper class or people on social media with extreme FOMO (fear of missing out). Something to say, hey here is some new offerings, but be aware that this isn't something we as Disney experts recommend you ever doing.

I’ve got a word or two for it, but it would get axed by the censors or get me banned from the forum.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Is it really breakfast without mickey waffles?
That menu is a bit odd for breakfast :depressed:

The food part is more a justification then an actual selling point. They have to offer you something besides access to TSL. So, like their cupcake filled dessert parties, they throw in some mediocre food, and make it a "dining" experience. Throws you off the trail. Can't be a money grab if they are feeding us. "We would have spent $100pp on breakfast anyway." So on and so forth.

abaker1975

i am having a hard time with this. Keep being tempted to book it and then the sane part of my head says don't be so stupid! It is like having the devil and the angel on my shoulder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom