Trip Report The Never-Ending Summer Of Disney *COMPLETED*

Seriously?!!

Can you believe it??

BC7AE996-5BB5-4770-9C10-F20CE1197633.jpeg

This is jaw-dropping news!!

If only.

Two things in life give me the blues ~ the end of summer and the end of a Disney vacation. A never-ending summer of Disney would be a dream come true! But I am certainly happy to “settle” for a WDW vacay in June....in July....and in August. 😊And rather than write three separate trip reports (and annoy @amjt660 when my *COMPLETED* report really isn’t 😉) I decided to take @Rista1313 ’s suggestion and post an ongoing travelogue, à la @blgauger style.

So let’s get started!

Vacation #1
June 16-24, 2018
Tuvalu, Woody and Em get pampered at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Was there rain? Any snarky Cast Members? Ridiculous guest behavior? A Magic meet-up? How many times did we watch Happily Ever After?

You’ll have to follow along to find out.

Pat Di

One is planned post-Thanksgiving. 😊
Thank you for your fantastic trip reports! Next trip, could you please take a picture for me of where the Rose Garden used to be? Is the Swan Boat dock still there? Is it still a grassy area, or is it paved over? Thanks, Pat

Tuvalu

Original Poster
I'm so glad you have one more trip this summer and are enjoying it before the Disney Blues set in! LWTL is one of my favorites, it's so interesting and a nice break. It's fun to find all the hidden Mickey's! Yes, Seasons seems to be more of a "convenience" stop than anything else. If we're in Epcot early, it's a good stop for breakfast, if we don't eat at the resort.

The PJ's are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute! The nice part about being in Disney for more than a couple of days is you can think about the merch before you impulse buy...of course, @Tuvalu should always buy for Tuvalette and Tuvaleen!

We are going to be in WDW the week of/after Thanksgiving, too...perhaps we can do a WDW meetup?!
Keep your eyes peeled for me.....I’m pretty good at literally running into other forum members! :joyfull:

Thank you for your fantastic trip reports! Next trip, could you please take a picture for me of where the Rose Garden used to be? Is the Swan Boat dock still there? Is it still a grassy area, or is it paved over? Thanks, Pat
I am happy to take that picture for you, Pat. Sadly the Rose Garden and the Swan Boat Dock live only in our memories now....both were casualties of the hub expansion (which was much needed as it is much easier to get around/through that area now.)

I do miss the Swan Boats and the roses though, along with many other attractions of years past. < sigh >

Pat Di

Keep your eyes peeled for me.....I’m pretty good at literally running into other forum members! :joyfull:

I am happy to take that picture for you, Pat. Sadly the Rose Garden and the Swan Boat Dock live only in our memories now....both were casualties of the hub expansion (which was much needed as it is much easier to get around/through that area now.)

I do miss the Swan Boats and the roses though, along with many other attractions of years past. < sigh >

Thank you Tuvalu! I never got to ride the Swan Boats - but I've seen videos. That dock stood for many years next to the Rose Garden - long after the Swans had flown the coop:)

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Woody and I went downstairs to retrieve our carry-ons from Bell Services. It was raining hard again so we decided to grab some water in Capt. Cooks and wait there until the intensity lessened.

Want a clue as to which longhouse we’d be heading to?

738B0287-C240-4F51-A31A-6E418F0DCA66.jpeg

Thankfully the rain shower was brief and soon we made our way around the marina to our home for the next four nights.

28D0BE87-9F2D-4592-BEB1-34D2CCE193BB.jpeg

Woody had never stayed in Fiji. This would be my second experience. Em and I were assigned Fiji back in March 2012, when we were upgraded from POR to Poly. The reason for the upgrade was we had booked a Royal Room at POR but a delay in construction meant a Royal Room would not be ready for our arrival. I received a call from Guest Services a couple weeks prior to our travel date asking if we would mind being moved to the Poly for the same rate as POR.

MIND?!!! :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, the stay was not without issues however. We were given a second floor room which meant no patio or balcony sitting (always a must.) Our room faced Luau Cove, so each night we were benefactors of the loud music and pounding drums from the luau. The day after we checked in our building had no hot water and we later received notice that there would be no water at all for a period of time while they worked to resolve the issue.

Gotta take the bad with the good......

Anyway, Woody and I entered Fiji knowing we had a third floor room (yay) but not knowing its location.

It’s been less than 5 years since regular Poly rooms have been refurbished but I am bored with the decor. Truthfully I was never a fan of the “refresh”.....especially the bathroom....and after having seen pics of the DVC rooms I want more color!!

FF460391-43BF-4EC0-93D8-81C5BDCD60F8.jpeg

203743EC-911F-412D-A2E3-75800A2D4C45.jpeg

C2C0BDF2-B45F-43C2-9F33-E9A2E9EEF88E.jpeg

06148F29-D14E-46EA-9B0F-F676A74C73A8.jpeg

D2F7DC9E-C024-4A81-9F3F-9190604C242F.jpeg

Remember my standard view at Beach Club? This standard view blows that one out of the water! (So to speak 😉)

9E02ACFD-0533-48D7-9CA7-6B74413FF486.jpeg

And fear not.....we were still thisclose to my beloved namesake.

559651F7-396C-405B-BBF2-B1D50F0D494E.jpeg

Since we had the last room at the end of the hall in Fiji we had a two-sided balcony....and I could glance at Tuvalu any time I wanted.

But looking forward at the marina was preferred!

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
After a quick unpack we opened the sliding door for some balcony sitting.

For almost two hours we watched it do this.
64113779-B2B8-4F72-9097-9E162926F6E8.jpeg

We had a lovely time.
Seriously.
We did not have any plans, so we didn’t feel like we were missing out on anything. Woody and I have spent innumerable hours on various Disney balconies watching the rain and loved every moment. We talk, but mostly we allow ourselves to be still and just “be”. That doesn’t happen often in the busy, stress-filled world we live in.

“What do you want to do for dinner?” Woody eventually asked.
Having eaten such a late lunch I wasn’t particularly hungry yet. But I did have a craving.
“I’m in the mood for an Island Sunset,” I announced.
“I could go for a Kona Longboard,” said Woody.

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho......off to the (temp) Tambu we go!

F9125E13-2A9A-431F-90E8-B3942256432F.jpeg

The 2nd floor of the Great Ceremonial House was mobbed with ‘Ohana patrons waiting for tables, so we took our drinks to the lower level where there were ample seats in the lobby.

B0BF6295-D438-4D0B-BCC5-7FE940B54503.jpeg

Most lobbies are great people-watching spots. The Poly lobby has the added bonus of the luau check in area.

266A0F30-4991-47E2-943A-72BADBD12E8A.jpeg

“Watching the people line up for the luau is probably more entertaining than the luau itself,” Woody observed.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
My first sip of my Island Sunset was a little off-putting. All I could taste was alcohol. I don’t want to taste alcohol in a fruity, frozen concoction.

After several stirs with my straw (goodness what will we do when straws are gone?!?) the mixture was more palatable and I had no trouble sucking it down....a little too quickly. Besides the temporary cold headache (press your tongue on the roof of your mouth, Tuvalu!) I was feeling a bit giddy. And I had another craving.

“I want Poly chips!” I announced to no one in particular.
(Poly chips are a combo of homemade potato chips and fried wontons.)

“Let’s go to Cooks and get some real food to go with those Poly Chips,” Woody wisely suggested.

We placed our order and found a table outside on the terrace.
33117A39-35B1-49F6-9043-C3E28DEC7A24.jpeg

(See the lady at the table behind me? She has a role in the first PDN (public display of nakedness) we witnessed.)

My Poly chips. I was gleeful because they were all fried wontons, which are my favorite part of Poly chips!
5CC3DE32-58F6-4514-927B-7B2F52B6CF70.jpeg

Oh yeah, they came with a pulled pork sandwich with Asian slaw. 😉 :joyfull:

Woody opted for pork fried rice.
91AD9734-C9B2-4D18-AF2F-7BCF49A4DD17.jpeg

Which obviously doesn’t photograph well! :depressed:

Both pork-centric meals were very tasty. No complaints!

Before our food arrived I changed chairs to face the pool, which put me in the direct line of sight of the table that was behind me in the above picture. I watched as a boy of about 8 or 9 dropped his shorts and presented his butt to his mother, who then injected his hindquarters with what I assume was insulin. The boy then pulled up said shorts and scampered away, while mom continued eating.

They were only mere steps away from a bathroom where the injection could have been done IN PRIVATE. :banghead:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Darkness was falling as we finished dinner. I suggested a stroll through the resort grounds, which is very romantic at night.

34D73A4A-AE4C-4F2E-AB8F-079F18FDFC8B.jpeg

018F9E35-8AB3-4DF5-822F-6136ECEB2F43.jpeg

We ended up on the beach. Just as the Electrical Water Pageant was starting.
2598A016-46BE-46B8-A371-4B350F82CB9B.jpeg

Octopus is my #1!
2B23B69E-91FE-4D16-A5B4-2381B674CD33.jpeg

A385488D-62BD-4C9E-948E-61D4A817341B.jpeg

“How convenient that we just happen to end up at the beach in time for Happily Ever After,” Woody chided.
He was on to me.

Fireworks from the Poly beach. Who can resist?
A651E958-964C-456C-9699-247F45E257A2.jpeg

88487916-1E77-45EE-BDB1-4E1D41DE15FC.jpeg

Not me, certainly. And it was a magical way to end our first day. ❤️

danyoung56

Woody and I have spent innumerable hours on various Disney balconies watching the rain and loved every moment. We talk, but mostly we allow ourselves to be still and just “be”.

And that is why I enjoy reading your trip reports. It's not all about rides, or dinners, or fireworks. It's about the experience, and the fact that experiences in WDW are just not available anywhere else.

Matt and Kelly

Oh no that is horrible. Before the pump, when Ella had injections we always chose her arm or leg where it wasn't going to be a big deal if anyone saw. Even when you inject in the bum it's at the very top where no bum needs to be shown. Ella would be to embarrassed to even let us do that now in public.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
After several stirs with my straw (goodness what will we do when straws are gone?!?) the mixture was more palatable and I had no trouble sucking it down....a little too quickly. Besides the temporary cold headache (press your tongue on the roof of your mouth, Tuvalu!) I was feeling a bit giddy. And I had another craving.

“I want Poly chips!” I announced to no one in particular.

I'm on the floor laughing about all this -- the thought of you being "tipsy" and yelling out (to strangers passing by) that you wanted Poly chips, was an image I found hilarious!! :hilarious:

MackZ

Before our food arrived I changed chairs to face the pool, which put me in the direct line of sight of the table that was behind me in the above picture. I watched as a boy of about 8 or 9 dropped his shorts and presented his butt to his mother, who then injected his hindquarters with what I assume was insulin. The boy then pulled up said shorts and scampered away, while mom continued eating.

They were only mere steps away from a bathroom where the injection could have been done IN PRIVATE. :banghead:

So I'm a complete creeper on these boards. I have read and very much enjoyed all 48 pages of this report but as a mother of a daughter who has Type 1 diabetes I am horrified by this comment. You have no idea the struggles this family goes through. I'm guessing that this little guy prefers his injections in his bottom since they don't hurt as bad. Everyone has a butt and this is a little boy! He probably gets approximately 10 injections a day and to have to go to the bathroom for each one is too much.

Rant over!! We are really looking forward to our first stay at the Polynesian in November and I love learning all I can from you:inlove:

Zipadeelady

I have a family member who has injections before each meal, at every dinner he proceeds to sit at the table lift his shirt, rub his belly (which is quite large and hairy) then injection his medicine every. single. time. Even at restaurants. I don't get it. I agree with you. A little bit of privacy for them and you is respectful. It's also teaching the child that a little bit of privacy is necessary. Not everyone needs to know your business.

LMSB

Darkness was falling as we finished dinner. I suggested a stroll through the resort grounds, which is very romantic at night.

View attachment 312088

View attachment 312089

We ended up on the beach. Just as the Electrical Water Pageant was starting.
View attachment 312090

Octopus is my #1!
View attachment 312091

View attachment 312092

“How convenient that we just happen to end up at the beach in time for Happily Ever After,” Woody chided.
He was on to me.

Fireworks from the Poly beach. Who can resist?
View attachment 312093

View attachment 312094

Not me, certainly. And it was a magical way to end our first day. ❤️
We walked the grounds at Poly on our first night last year (with a Dole whip) -- it was SO NICE!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
We are going after Thanksgiving too, and I am flying this time. Maybe our paths will cross this time!
That would be fun for sure!

And that is why I enjoy reading your trip reports. It's not all about rides, or dinners, or fireworks. It's about the experience, and the fact that experiences in WDW are just not available anywhere else.
I'm glad you "get it" too, Dan. Appreciate your kind words.

So I'm a complete creeper on these boards. I have read and very much enjoyed all 48 pages of this report but as a mother of a daughter who has Type 1 diabetes I am horrified by this comment. You have no idea the struggles this family goes through. I'm guessing that this little guy prefers his injections in his bottom since they don't hurt as bad. Everyone has a butt and this is a little boy! He probably gets approximately 10 injections a day and to have to go to the bathroom for each one is too much.
Rant over!! We are really looking forward to our first stay at the Polynesian in November and I love learning all I can from you:inlove:
You are right, I have no idea what struggles and challenges come with having a child with diabetes; likely more than I can imagine. However, I am an old-fashioned believer in modesty and teaching children what is and is not appropriate in the company of others. Exposing oneself (not discreetly) at any age in a public venue where people are eating is disrespectful, in my opinion. I appreciate your honesty.

I have a family member who has injections before each meal, at every dinner he proceeds to sit at the table lift his shirt, rub his belly (which is quite large and hairy) then injection his medicine every. single. time. Even at restaurants. I don't get it. I agree with you. A little bit of privacy for them and you is respectful. It's also teaching the child that a little bit of privacy is necessary. Not everyone needs to know your business.
Amen.

:joyfull::joyfull: Literally can not stop laughing at either of these comments.
PS sorry for all the likes I am just now catching up on everyone's reports. Darn house gets in the way
No apology necessary! Hope you are enjoying your new home.

I am struggling to think that that innocent full moon was your first and only Public display of nudity
Cmon now
Come clean
If you do not want @TrolleyFollower91 to know about your wild and crazy youthful escapades then just PM me!!!
Max
Patience......the best is yet to come. ;)

LeighM

I had to laugh at your PDN experience. I didn't put this in my own trip report but I reminded me of what my husband and I saw. We were in HS standing off to the side after the Stormtrooper march waiting for the FP for TSM. You know when you're looking at someone or something and you can't put your finger on what's not right in your line of sight? That's what I was experiencing when I noticed a very large man sitting across from me. And the crotch of his shorts was ripped open and it didn't look like he was wearing underwear because he had parts hanging out. It was so humid that day and I don't think there was a draft for him to feel because he had no idea that he was exposed. I had no idea how to tell him and my husband refused to discuss it with the poor man LOL.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
I had to laugh at your PDN experience. I didn't put this in my own trip report but I reminded me of what my husband and I saw. We were in HS standing off to the side after the Stormtrooper march waiting for the FP for TSM. You know when you're looking at someone or something and you can't put your finger on what's not right in your line of sight? That's what I was experiencing when I noticed a very large man sitting across from me. And the crotch of his shorts was ripped open and it didn't look like he was wearing underwear because he had parts hanging out. It was so humid that day and I don't think there was a draft for him to feel because he had no idea that he was exposed. I had no idea how to tell him and my husband refused to discuss it with the poor man LOL.
I can’t unsee the visual you put in my mind! :joyfull:

susan lees

Oh no that is horrible. Before the pump, when Ella had injections we always chose her arm or leg where it wasn't going to be a big deal if anyone saw. Even when you inject in the bum it's at the very top where no bum needs to be shown. Ella would be to embarrassed to even let us do that now in public.
I agree. My daughter has been type 1 for 16 years and has never had to expose herself in public!! She now has a pump which is much more convenient. We would usually steer clear of using public restrooms for fear of infection but injections can always be given discretely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom