Current News on the possible Disneyland's 4th Hotel

Jedi Stitch

They where closed down because Disney was going to break ground on a new hotel for that spot. The city claimed the hotel was in the wrong place and not eligible for tax breaks so Disney killed the project.
Fresh Bakes had stated that another possible power play that came up, was the Anaheim 15/hr law. He said, that Anaheim was going to or had enacted a law that if a company had taken tax breaks recently they had to adopt a 15/hr raise requirement for getting the tax breaks. Disney may have said, Naw, not interested. Even then they have plans to continue but with out the tax breaks that will make Anaheim happy but sad they can't enforce the 15/hr on Disney.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Fresh Bakes had stated that another possible power play that came up, was the Anaheim 15/hr law. He said, that Anaheim was going to or had enacted a law that if a company had taken tax breaks recently they had to adopt a 15/hr raise requirement for getting the tax breaks. Disney may have said, Naw, not interested. Even then they have plans to continue but with out the tax breaks that will make Anaheim happy but sad they can't enforce the 15/hr on Disney.

Disney is either paying its union employees $15 per hour on January 1st, or has offered to do so. It's non-Union employees start at $15.75 on January 1st. No matter what.

Stevek

Is Earl of Sandwich re-opening?

I don't believe there has been any official announcement. It appeared that there were job openings posted but I personally haven't heard if anyone has actually interviewed or been hired. Assuming the cooking fixtures are either still there or can be easily re-installed, seems like a no brainer if Earl can get it up and running...gotta believe they made reasonably good money there.

Curious Constance

From MousePlanet:

"...The Earl of Sandwich may be planning a return to the Disneyland Resort, according to job notices posted on several hiring sites over the last two weeks. Some of these job postings are for a "Theme Park Earl of Sandwich Anaheim," while others provided the address of the now-shuttered location in Downtown Disney. We have no confirmed details about where or when the Earl might reopen shop. "

TP2000

They should reopen the AMC theater as a haunted abandoned movie theater and show 50's B horror movies for Halloween.
If the place hasn't been gutted Disney should re-open it. Keep a few of the bigger screens open and schedule movies from the Disney Vault. They could easily make some money by releasing many of the thousands of movies they own.

Stop it you guys, you're making TDA look bad!

Seriously, those are both great ideas. Unless AMC gutted the theaters and took the seats, it's something you could turn around in 30 days. If AMC really gutted everything, it's a 90 day project but still easily achievable. I imagine they'd need to reinstall projectors, do a quick repaint and interior deep clean and light rebranding, but it's something that could happen quickly with the world's largest and most successful entertainment company that has their own in-house design studio to manage the project (AKA The Walt Disney Company).

If I were Bob Chapek and Josh Dimaro, I would do the following to fix the abandoned West End of Downtown Disney. The Walt Disney Presents! theater could be turned around in 60 days, while the mini-golf and event lawn would debut in Spring '19;

• Use @Phrubruh and @Ismael Flores ideas and get AMC Theaters up and running as a special "Walt Disney Presents!" movie complex. Show classic Disney movies from the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's, and have fun trivia contests before each performance. Add in vintage Disney shorts like "Disneyland USA" and "Magic Highways" before the feature, and the AP's and Disney fans would flock to the place.
  • Reopen Earl (already happening) and that Starbucks. Put a Disneyana-type vintage gift shop in the old DVC space next to the Walt Disney Presents! movie complex.
  • Level the ESPNZone and turn it into a Disneyland themed mini-golf course. Make it super kitschy and retro cool Plant at least a dozen Mexican Fan Palm trees around the space, because tourists love to see those iconic palm trees when they visit SoCal. Mexican Fan Palms against a SoCal evening sky makes it look exotic and unique for many tourists!
  • Level Rainforest Cafe and turn it into an event lawn and flex-space for gourmet food trucks, seasonal celebrations, etc. Move the bandstand that used to sit in the walkway over to this event lawn/flex-space for evening concerts and dancing. With the Monorail station adjacent, it's convenient and uniquely Disneyland.

Done! Now just sit and wait for a couple years for politics to calm down in Anaheim, and for TDA and WDI to come up with a truly comprehensive plan for a 4th Hotel and fixing and upgrading that big chunk of real estate. This long-term plan would need to address the 40+ year old towers of the Disneyland Hotel; those things are nearing the end of their useful life and it's time to get serious about what replaces them.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

So we're currently booked at the Grand Californian for the first week of this coming February. We were on the fence between the Grand and the Disneyland Hotel, but went with the Grand due to the obstruction that the construction would have caused on the walk from DLH to the parks. Am I correctly reading the situation that this would no longer be a concern? We've never been out to DLR and we're considering a split stay.

TP2000

So we're currently booked at the Grand Californian for the first week of this coming February. We were on the fence between the Grand and the Disneyland Hotel, but went with the Grand due to the obstruction that the construction would have caused on the walk from DLH to the parks. Am I correctly reading the situation that this would no longer be a concern? We've never been out to DLR and we're considering a split stay.

You're correct. But maybe just stay at one hotel or the other instead of a split day? Seems like a hassle to have to check out and re-check in on one of your park days. It's also a lot of walking. I would vote to stay at the Grand for the entire stay.

CaptainAmerica

You're correct. But maybe just stay at one hotel or the other instead of a split day? Seems like a hassle to have to check out and re-check in on one of your park days. It's also a lot of walking. I would vote to stay at the Grand for the entire stay.
We were planning on a breakfast at Steakhouse 55 and we're there for seven nights so I don't expect time to be an issue. We were thinking we'd check out of the first hotel on our way to the parks one morning and check into the second hotel on our way home that evening. We thought first three nights at the DLH, second four nights at GCH.

Not worth the hassle in your opinion?

Ismael Flores

this might help with your decision.
guide.jpg

The yellow is the Disneyland hotel property. check in is in the north facing tower where the word Disneyland is

The blue is the now shuttered area of Downtown Disney where the hotel was going to be built. Construction is not happening anymore but the large locations are closed for business.

The red is the Grand California Property which shares property with the eastern side of Downtown Disney and Disney California Adventure. so you have direct access to all the shops and eateries with a direct path into DTD.

walking to the parks is as follows.

from Disneyland hotel green line to both parks. You do have option to stop at monorail station within the blue area and take the monorail to Disneyland park but that could take longer depending on crowd levels because people boarding in Disneyland are not required to get off at DTD. There is also an alternative entrance to Disney California Adventure but you would have to cut thru the Grand Hotel to use the exclusive entrance.

From Grand purple line. you can go out the special entry and walk thru DTD toward the gates or you can use the exclusive entrance inside the hotel to enter DCA. Then from there you can either stay at that park or go out the main entrance and head into Disneyland.

I think that switching hotels in the middle of your trip might be to much of a pain. The Disneyland hotel check in is in north/west side of property and the Grand is in the south/west side of property and that one road between both properties can be a nightmare to move around it if you happen to hit traffic hours.

would be great if you could explain to them what your plans are and the Grand hotel might be able to check you in at the Disneyland hotel. Then maybe then can even help you guys move your luggage from one hotel to other while you enjoy the parks Never hurts to ask.

if you are in the south tower at Disneyland hotel it would just be a simple crossing of street to reach your room and not have to go to the northern tower with luggage to check in

TP2000

We were planning on a breakfast at Steakhouse 55 and we're there for seven nights so I don't expect time to be an issue. We were thinking we'd check out of the first hotel on our way to the parks one morning and check into the second hotel on our way home that evening. We thought first three nights at the DLH, second four nights at GCH.

Not worth the hassle in your opinion?

Ah, I thought you were only there for a couple of nights. If you are there for a week, that’s probably worth the hassle. If only for a change of scenery with rooms/hotels. I say go for it!

TP2000

Also, if TDA suits could stop worrying about the new cover sheets on the weekly TPS Reports for two minutes and get off their pathetic duffs and use my Walt Disney Presents! idea for the abandoned AMC theater, they have to introduce each movie presentation with a little pre-show that includes this classic "Walt Disney... presents!..." line.

Sitting in a dark theater munching popcorn with a bunch of Disneyland fans, that intro would be magic. And I hate using the word "magic". :cool:

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Seriously, those are both great ideas. Unless AMC gutted the theaters and took the seats, it's something you could turn around in 30 days. If AMC really gutted everything, it's a 90 day project but still easily achievable. I imagine they'd need to reinstall projectors, do a quick repaint and interior deep clean and light rebranding, but it's something that could happen quickly with the world's largest and most successful entertainment company that has their own in-house design studio to manage the project (AKA The Walt Disney Company).

If I were Bob Chapek and Josh Dimaro, I would do the following to fix the abandoned West End of Downtown Disney;

• Use @Phrubruh and @Ismael Flores ideas and get AMC Theaters up and running as a special "Walt Disney Presents!" movie complex. Show classic Disney movies from the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's, and have fun trivia contests before each performance. Add in vintage Disney shorts like "Disneyland USA" and "Magic Highways" before the feature, and the AP's and Disney fans would flock to the place.
  • Reopen Earl (already happening) and that Starbucks. Put a Disneyana-type vintage gift shop in the old DVC space next to the Walt Disney Presents! movie complex.
  • Level the ESPNZone and turn it into a Disneyland themed mini-golf course. Make it super kitschy and retro cool Plant at least a dozen Mexican Fan Palm trees around the space, because tourists love to see those iconic palm trees when they visit SoCal. Mexican Fan Palms against a SoCal evening sky makes it look exotic and unique for many tourists!
  • Level Rainforest Cafe and turn it into an event lawn and flex-space for gourmet food trucks, seasonal celebrations, etc. Move the bandstand that used to sit in the walkway over to this event lawn/flex-space for evening concerts and dancing. With the Monorail station adjacent, it's convenient and uniquely Disneyland.

Done! Now just sit and wait for a couple years for politics to calm down in Anaheim, and for TDA and WDI to come up with a truly comprehensive plan for a 4th Hotel and fixing and upgrading that big chunk of real estate. This long-term plan would need to address the 40+ year old towers of the Disneyland Hotel; those things are nearing the end of their useful life and it's time to get serious about what replaces them.

I'd be on-board with this. However I'm not sold on a Disneyland mini-golf course. I vaguely remember there was one before and it wasn't that great. But maybe a 2018 version would be better.

TP2000

I'd be on-board with this. However I'm not sold on a Disneyland mini-golf course. I vaguely remember there was one before and it wasn't that great. But maybe a 2018 version would be better.

The 1960's version was small and hokey and obviously of its time.
img284.jpg

The 2019 version would use today's design sensitivity. You could fit two 18 hole courses there, not huge, but use big corny props and statues and silly sight gags. There'd be a Matterhorn, a giant Mr. Lincoln sitting in his chair that you have to aim through, a Pirates themed hole, a Haunted Mansion hole, a Space Mountain and Small World and Submarine and Jungle Cruise themed holes, etc. The 19th hole would be the Castle, hitting your ball over the drawbridge. The snack bar could sell Dole Whips, Churros, Fantasia ice cream and Coke floats, and the place would be mobbed instantly.

More than likely though, this is just going to sit there looking like this until 2021. Maybe 2022.

espndlr_closed2018cb.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
img284.jpg

The 2019 version would use today's design sensitivity. You could fit two 18 hole courses there, not huge, but use big corny props and statues and silly sight gags. There'd be a Matterhorn, a giant Mr. Lincoln sitting in his chair that you have to aim through, a Pirates themed hole, a Haunted Mansion hole, a Space Mountain and Small World and Submarine and Jungle Cruise themed holes, etc. The 19th hole would be the Castle, hitting your ball over the drawbridge. The snack bar could sell Dole Whips, Churros, Fantasia ice cream and Coke floats, and the place would be mobbed instantly.

More than likely though, this is just going to sit there looking like this until 2021. Maybe 2022.

espndlr_closed2018cb.jpg

Time to see if the nice neighbor lady can get the gab stream going the other direction and float these ideas back to TDA.....

Rich T

Excuuuuuse me??? :D Okay, as someone who played the course a couple of times with family as a kid, I can say that it was AMAZING--and cleverly laid out so that every path turn revealed a new surprise and it seemed much larger than it actually was. Giant octopus on the Submarine hole...its tentacles sprawling across the green! On the Mr. Smee hole you hit the ball through a cannon's barrel and the ball flew out to a lower green and into the crocodile's gaping mouth! On the Matterhorn Bobsleds hole you hit the ball through a mini recreation of the bobsled station, and then followed it downhill from one small green to the next, watching your ball race along twisting concrete bobsled runs! The Autopia hole had a little complex of criss-crossing highway on-ramps!

It was the best miniature golf course ever. :D

DanielBB8

Sorry, Disney should just build the hotel without worrying about any possible tax or labor wage increases or other regulations. Disney will pay regardless the longer they wait. As the economy heats up, prices for everything goes up. Disney can always mitigate costs by charging them to customers as they always do. Delaying is a strategy that will make their business suffer. They already need another parking structure for all the business they already anticipate for Star Wars Land and Superheroes Land. They could easily need another 2000 hotel rooms.

Old Mouseketeer

If I were Bob Chapek and Josh Dimaro, I would do the following to fix the abandoned West End of Downtown Disney. The Walt Disney Presents! theater could be turned around in 60 days, while the mini-golf and event lawn would debut in Spring '19;

Are there still anti-trust rules that affect studios owning movie theaters? After the 1948 Paramount case the studios had to divest in the US. But Disney bought a stake in a unit of Pacific Theaters to redevelop the El Capitan and Crest theaters. I'm a little unclear on the specifics and the timeline. Of course, Disney could always bring in another theater-chain as a partner, depending on their exit agreement with AMC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom