Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Br’er Rabbit

Didn’t they announce they are working with Nividia to create the graphics for the Milenium Falcon ride? Which means it’s gonna be a lot more video gamey than Mission Space which is essentially a movie with very minor interaction.

Could be completely off base but I have a feeling that it’s gonna be like the Pirates ride at DisneyQuest. You can steer the boat and fire the cannons but you can’t just crash and fail.

MaximumEd

Not if you have to have everyone get the 'full experience' as was proposed. That means, by hook or by crook, getting everyone to the end. So either your actions are inconsequential (Mission:Space) or they have consequences and you get different experiences.

If its a video game that means consequences and on-the-fly changes on the attraction. Otherwise its just a video.

Full experience doesn’t mean same experience. It also doesn’t mean you either crash and sit for 3 minutes or it doesn’t matter what you do like M:S. There’s a lot of different ways they could do it, some mentioned above.

matt9112

I'm going to imagine the food will definitely be better, but then again, lol, who knows.

Rex could either be charming or totally annoying. It's nice they included him though (and I knew they were but I'm just talking about it because it's "news" again).

hope so...potter food is my fav quick serve overall.

Read plenty of comments about the MF attraction and some of the excite me but others concern me.

I always thought that the falcon ride would have 6 people sat in similar chairs to what you see in the movies, standard seatbelts so with this in mind I dont think it would be a centrifuge same as mission space or you would potentially have issues with people possibly falling out of seats. I think instead they would be mini simulator pods same as star tours.

The experience itself is a 6 player interactive adventure (Video Game) rendered in real time using 8 high end Nvidia GPUs, There is a tech demo on youtube that shows part of the ride in action. Players can crash into various objects and in the video shows them crashing in to AT-AT walkers then reversing and going forward again.

6 Player roles can be split up between pilot, co pilot, shields, gunners and dont rule out spectators as some people may not want to take part but just enjoy the ride.

I think everyone will get the same experience but ending will depend on performance as others have said. You still start at point A, get to point B and how you do getting there will end in the final rank or result. Maybe you have to land the falcon correctly to get top marks but you can crash at the end and thats when Hondo / Chewie will get angry with you.

Thats just my thoughts but with it being a year away from launch everything could be subject to change.

drod1985

If its a video game that means consequences and on-the-fly changes on the attraction. Otherwise its just a video.

That’s exactly what we’re getting. That’s why they’re working with ILMxLab and Nvidia to render 8k environments in real time. Because every ride will be unique based on the passenger’s performance. If it was just a video there would be no need for real time rendering.

That’s exactly what we’re getting. That’s why they’re working with ILMxLab and Nvidia to render 8k environments in real time. Because every ride will be unique based on the passenger’s performance. If it was just a video there would be no need for real time rendering.
They have also changed out the GPUs to the new RTX enabled ones so that increases performance with less cards so cost saving measure.

matt9112

They have also changed out the GPUs to the new RTX enabled ones so that increases performance with less cards so cost saving measure.

but its not.....those cards rasterize 35% better but cost 50% more. somebody correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure there running high end cards not consumer level cards.

having a rendered 3D environment does not mean the mission goes one way or another there has to still be limits to some degree nobody wants to stare at a game over screen after waiting 4 hours to ride it. rendered environments simply allow more a more realistic format because each ride can technically be different but the general gist will be the same. its like you and me both playing the same level in call of duty we play the same exact level but its also entirely unique to each of us you went left i went right. you avoided that enemy i did not etc.

Phicinfan

Didn’t they announce they are working with Nividia to create the graphics for the Milenium Falcon ride? Which means it’s gonna be a lot more video gamey than Mission Space which is essentially a movie with very minor interaction.

Could be completely off base but I have a feeling that it’s gonna be like the Pirates ride at DisneyQuest. You can steer the boat and fire the cannons but you can’t just crash and fail.
I may be wrong, but I thought as part of the "immersion" of the area - that how you do on the two rides can carry over into the land as you walk around and CM's will react to that result? If so, I have to admit, deep down I want to really, really tank one run on MF just to see how much grief I get in the different restaurants and such...that to me just makes it more enjoyable.

My guess would be, if you do ..crash or have an issue, you will have some activity to ride out...if nothing else to struggle to get the MF to a landing site and such....

TJJohn12

6 Player roles can be split up between pilot, co pilot, shields, gunners and dont rule out spectators as some people may not want to take part but just enjoy the ride.

I seem to remember someone in this epic thread - maybe @marni1971 - mentioned something akin to 2 people in each cockpit being upset that their reputation went down because of what the 4 players did, which I took to mean 4 active players and 2 spectators.

Lensman

I may be wrong, but I thought as part of the "immersion" of the area - that how you do on the two rides can carry over into the land as you walk around and CM's will react to that result? If so, I have to admit, deep down I want to really, really tank one run on MF just to see how much grief I get in the different restaurants and such...that to me just makes it more enjoyable.

My guess would be, if you do ..crash or have an issue, you will have some activity to ride out...if nothing else to struggle to get the MF to a landing site and such....
I can let you know about the griefing after I visit with my family. (The ones who have to give up in frustration on Space Ranger Spin! lol)

In order to experience the "success-type" ending simulations, we're going to have to hire some ringers to go on the ride with us. :)

atjimfromdisney

There are middle grounds between those two extremes.

I agree 100%. There are almost *limitless* possibilities with an attraction such as this. I think there are so many variables in play it's hard to make clear speculation. Especially with focusing on how the ride will impact your adventures throughout the land.

atjimfromdisney

Also, regardless of how involved the MF ride is and how it carries over to the interactive portion of the land, I sure hope ruining the MF doesn't get me *banned* from the cantina. ;)

Kamikaze

That 'aint happening.
Do you honestly believe that they are going to create a ride where you are towed back to port due to the actions of a person who might not even be in your party?
Could you imagine the level of dissatisfaction that would create?

Then your actions will have no impact on the outcome. Those are the only two options - that it ends the same way, no matter what (regardless of what audio plays at the end) or the attraction can be 'failed'.

I realize people wouldn't like the 'bad' ending. Thats neither here nor there. This was marketed as an attraction with different possible outcomes, right? Getting the same ending regardless of how bad the people in the seats are isn't a different outcome.

geekza

That 'aint happening.
Do you honestly believe that they are going to create a ride where you are towed back to port due to the actions of a person who might not even be in your party?
Could you imagine the level of dissatisfaction that would create?
Apparently, that's not far off from the version they've been testing over at Disneyland. The result was exactly like you predicted. They're having to go back and retool the experience to dial back the pass/fail aspect of it.

Incomudro

Then your actions will have no impact on the outcome. Those are the only two options - that it ends the same way, no matter what (regardless of what audio plays at the end) or the attraction can be 'failed'.

I realize people wouldn't like the 'bad' ending. Thats neither here nor there. This was marketed as an attraction with different possible outcomes, right? Getting the same ending regardless of how bad the people in the seats are isn't a different outcome.

There are a multitude of options that still allow the ship to carry on for the duration of the ride.

Kamikaze

No, it's not.

Other options have been brought up quite often in this thread.

Chewie having a hissy fit doesn't change that you got the same experience if you passed or failed.

Answer me this: How is it any different if your ship is towed from crashing halfway through the ride or if your controls have no impact? Either way, you get the same experience - you go through the ride and what you did meant nothing.

Incomudro

Chewie having a hissy fit doesn't change that you got the same experience if you passed or failed.

Answer me this: How is it any different if your ship is towed from crashing halfway through the ride or if your controls have no impact? Either way, you get the same experience - you go through the ride and what you did meant nothing.

You didn't get the same experience.
You may have aced the flight, or barely made it out alive.
Your flight may be one smooth example of meeting all of your goals (providing such things are part of the ride) evading all attackers, shooting down bogies...
Or, a chaotic mess of ricocheting off of walls, sustaining heavy damage, and crash landing.
Plus, any possible mix of the two.

In answer to your question:
Imagine waiting an hour and a half to board a ride that you waited on for two years in the making.
You board the cockpit with oh, one or two friends or family members - plus a couple with the most obnoxious of children.
The parents let the child have too much control, and within moments the Falcon is being towed to port.
Would you go for that?
I wouldn't, and I seriously doubt Disney believes any sizable portion of guests would either.
Again in answer to your question:
Your ride wouldn't "mean nothing" if you were unable to make certain achievements, and barely brought the ship home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom