News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
That would put the entrance outside the current security perimeter, allowing non screened guests to board the monorail and travel to the MK.
You have security screening infrastructure right there at the current discharge. Very easy to reconfigure and Certainly would be a lot easier than building new ramps everywhere.

peter11435

You have security screening infrastructure right there at the current discharge. Very easy to reconfigure and Certainly would be a lot easier than building new ramps everywhere.
I don’t think you’re understanding the problem with your suggestion. You would have to move the current security checkpoint to outside of where the current monorail exit is located. And if you did that there would be no reason to swap the entrance and exit ramps anyway.

Simply swapping the exit and entry would not work.

monothingie

Premium Member
I don’t think you’re understanding the problem with your suggestion. You would have to move the current security checkpoint to outside of where the current monorail exit is located. And if you did that there would be no reason to swap the entrance and exit ramps anyway.

Simply swapping the exit and entry would not work.

Unless there is a plan to build multiple new ramps into and out of the monorail station, they can reconfigure the existing single security check point that currently is a pinch point for all Buses, Trams, Pedestrians, and Monorail guests approaching by:

First directly isolating the current monorail discharge directly into the "secure area" via a barrier.

Next, using the existing pathways for the entrance area, create an additional security screening area for guests arriving from the bus stops.

Finally by switching the monorail entrance/exit you alleviate the on rush of guests into the current security check point area each time a monorail arrives and unloads, instead depositing them into the larger open entrance courtyard in front of the ticket windows.

During periods of heavy guest exiting traffic, it will work better by directing all guests to singular exit area for trams, busses, and monorails. By maintaining a barrier between the secure monorail entrance and the other park exits (buses/trams) security can be maintained. Additionally, it creates a larger queue area for guest using the monorails during peak exit rush times, instead of backing up the ramp and into the entrance courtyard.

epcot.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom P.

Iger isn't the be all end all (but it's easy to hold the main man responsible, when WDW is just a blip on his radar, if on it at all)

Local management is to blame for how things are run in the Swamps.
Walt Disney World is the most visited vacation resort in the world and is consistently Disney's cash cow. Iger may not be managing day-to-day park operations, but I guarantee you that WDW is much more than a blip on his radar.

peter11435

Unless there is a plan to build multiple new ramps into and out of the monorail station, they can reconfigure the existing single security check point that currently is a pinch point for all Buses, Trams, Pedestrians, and Monorail guests approaching by:

First directly isolating the current monorail discharge directly into the "secure area" via a barrier.

Next, using the existing pathways for the entrance area, create an additional security screening area for guests arriving from the bus stops.

Finally by switching the monorail entrance/exit you alleviate the on rush of guests into the current security check point area each time a monorail arrives and unloads, instead depositing them into the larger open entrance courtyard in front of the ticket windows.

During periods of heavy guest exiting traffic, it will work better by directing all guests to singular exit area for trams, busses, and monorails. By maintaining a barrier between the secure monorail entrance and the other park exits (buses/trams) security can be maintained. Additionally, it creates a larger queue area for guest using the monorails during peak exit rush times, instead of backing up the ramp and into the entrance courtyard.

View attachment 306678
Exactly. Simply swapping the ramps would not be the solution. The solution is moving the checkpoints, which ultimately will be done.

monothingie

Premium Member
Exactly. Simply swapping the ramps would not be the solution. The solution is moving the checkpoints, which ultimately will be done.

Which is what was implied what would be need to done in my original statement being fully aware of the need to maintain secure/non-secure areas.

peter11435

Which is what was implied what would be need to done in my original statement being fully aware of the need to maintain secure/non-secure areas.

Your original post implied that all they had to do was simply switch the entrance and exit. Nothing more was implied. Obviously you know more would be necessary.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

Your model would still work without changing the entrance/exit to the monorail. If you change the direction of your green arrows, it would still work as long as the exit lets guests into the secure zone. One advantage to not changing the enter/exit sides is that there is more space to queue on the current entrance side.
1535464117352.png

monothingie

Premium Member
Your model would still work without changing the entrance/exit to the monorail. If you change the direction of your green arrows, it would still work as long as the exit lets guests into the secure zone. One advantage to not changing the enter/exit sides is that there is more space to queue on the current entrance side.
View attachment 306756
It would work, either way, however when a monorail arrives you have a sudden influx of hundreds of guests into that small area. Having the monorail exit through the current entrance directs those people into an entirely different area and allows the existing entry space to be significantly less busy. A much better guest experience.

Kman101

Walt Disney World is the most visited vacation resort in the world and is consistently Disney's cash cow. Iger may not be managing day-to-day park operations, but I guarantee you that WDW is much more than a blip on his radar.

He's got a lot of responsibilities. WDW is a blip on his radar. Not saying he's not aware but people always like to lay it on his doorstep and I think that's misplaced blame. Not saying he shouldn't also be held accountable, practices come from the top.

Can you say he's hands-on? Nope. He isn't. He has a huge company to run. WDW *is* a blip. I think you're taking it wrong in how I'm referring to WDW as "a blip on his radar". It's not that he's not aware.

Michael Eisner was far more hands on and I would lay a lot of blame personally at his doorstep, for as much good, there was also quite a bit of bad. Iger isn't the same executive, he's not hands on and he doesn't care that much. If I'm totally wrong and an insider claims he loves the parks and is totally hands on, controlling the decisions, I'd blame him for a lot more. Again, it comes from the top, it's easy to blame Iger, but he's not hands-on with WDW.

Disneybear

He's got a lot of responsibilities. WDW is a blip on his radar. Not saying he's not aware but people always like to lay it on his doorstep and I think that's misplaced blame. Not saying he shouldn't also be held accountable, practices come from the top.

Can you say he's hands-on? Nope. He isn't. He has a huge company to run. WDW *is* a blip. I think you're taking it wrong in how I'm referring to WDW as "a blip on his radar". It's not that he's not aware.

Michael Eisner was far more hands on and I would lay a lot of blame personally at his doorstep, for as much good, there was also quite a bit of bad. Iger isn't the same executive, he's not hands on and he doesn't care that much. If I'm totally wrong and an insider claims he loves the parks and is totally hands on, controlling the decisions, I'd blame him for a lot more. Again, it comes from the top, it's easy to blame Iger, but he's not hands-on with WDW.

Is he not responsible for appointing those who are in charge of the resort?
If his appointments are indifferent about the parks then in turn this reflects on him.

geekza

If his appointments are indifferent about the parks then in turn this reflects on him.
I don't think Chapek is indifferent to the parks; his ideas are simply not in line with what a lot of us feel are good or appropriate for the parks. They're spending a lot of money on the parks right now. They're just spending a lot of money to shove IP into the parks, sometimes where it has no business being shoved (Guardians). We're in a similar situation to the one we had in the later Eisner years where the edict was, if it wasn't making money, it was on the chopping block. With all of the nickel and diming going on (and showing no signs of slowing down), it's obvious that both Chapek and Iger see the parks as fertile ground for additional revenue, rather than an amazing place with outstanding experiences for families.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
When I first read the title, I thought that they were going to actually make big improvements, such as interesting or fun looking ticket/magic band scanning areas. Epcot's still looks as it did back when it opened and unfortunately that isn't a good thing. However, beyond that, I couldn't think of any other ways to improve.

What I would like to know is this (and it is an actual question). What kind of things do people need that necessitate an entire backpack or multiple backpacks for visiting the parks?

With a baby, I could see diapers and stuff needed to take care of the baby for feeding and such. However, I see families walking in that look as if they are planning for a trek into the Andes or Himalayas. Did they mistake Expedition Everest for an actual trip on Mt. Everest? We always use the non-bag security and so it doesn't faze me either way (as long as I don't get whacked by someone's bag as they walk past).
Where else am i going to put a complete change of outfit for my half dozen special needs poodles ????:rolleyes:

Kman101

I've said certain things reflect on him. I just think people are too quick to blame him for everything. He's got a lot of other things to worry about than say Guardians going into Energy at Epcot. I'm not saying he's not aware and I'm not saying he shouldn't also be held accountable. I said he should in my post, but people blame him for *everything*. I'm not defending the man AT ALL, lol. Please don't think that.

eddie104

I've said certain things reflect on him. I just think people are too quick to blame him for everything. He's got a lot of other things to worry about than say Guardians going into Energy at Epcot. I'm not saying he's not aware and I'm not saying he shouldn't also be held accountable. I said he should in my post, but people blame him for *everything*. I'm not defending the man AT ALL, lol. Please don't think that.
I agree people are always looking for a scapegoat but in reality it’s probably multiple people involved not just one.

Goofyernmost

I don't think Chapek is indifferent to the parks; his ideas are simply not in line with what a lot of us feel are good or appropriate for the parks. They're spending a lot of money on the parks right now. They're just spending a lot of money to shove IP into the parks, sometimes where it has no business being shoved (Guardians). We're in a similar situation to the one we had in the later Eisner years where the edict was, if it wasn't making money, it was on the chopping block. With all of the nickel and diming going on (and showing no signs of slowing down), it's obvious that both Chapek and Iger see the parks as fertile ground for additional revenue, rather than an amazing place with outstanding experiences for families.
The problem with the idea that something like Guardians doesn't belong is limited in correctness. In 1985 that was absolutely true, but, EPCOT Ctr. is not Epcot. It's mission is different and we all might lament the loss of the old stuff, it is happening and it is going to continue to happen. It's their beach and their ocean. Personally, I wouldn't cross the street for anything Guardian related, but, things needed to change and, brace yourself, I have a feeling that this is just the beginning. Epcot will not be the EPCOT Ctr. we remember, but that was at least two generations ago. I think it will do well, and even better, with the new look and that will continue until something new is the "soup of the day". It is just the way that world is, it just keeps rotating and everyday is different. Right now the only nostalgia park is MK, that will probably stay that way to a large extent, but, not completely.

Kman101

I think you summed that up well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom