News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

brb1006

The Magic Kingdom main entrance as well as the TTC are both In desperate need of an extreme makeover. Neither has received a recent facelift. The magic kingdom main entrance is Not adequatly designer to handle today’s crowds and security needs. The TTC suffers from years of neglect and datednese as well as needing upgrades for crowd flow and security. Both will be coming.
Here's how the road to WDW used to look before the entrance sign was added and the TTC makeover in the 1990's.

1970's - 1980's
WDWroadsign_thumb%25255B5%25255D.jpg

Parking Entrance from 1972
1972%20WDW%201.jpg

TTC (Notice the flower bed)
DisneyTTC-750x400.png

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I would like if they could do something with the bus entrance to Animal Kingdom. It feels like you are entering a max security prison when you go through the employee parking entrance. Specifically this area:

View attachment 305106
TBH you are entering a high security area where they have things that can eat you. Have you gone the back way into Epcot? Not as high of fences but the infrastructure is the same. They only have to keep the drunks in there.

Kman101

Ah, I see now. Make him do the work!
I'd give it a swing for sure. But in my amazing awkwardness, I'd swing, hit it, sledgehammer would bounce back and then nail me in the stomach.

It might be worth it just to say "I did it".

No worries. I was fibbing anyway. I don’t like to sweat. I was going to make the big guy beside me do it. You still in?

I'll be there with my own sledgehammer! Let's do it! I've been ready for years.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As long as none of the improvements handle the way Shanghai handles guest flow, then I think we'll be alright.
Actually, I think it'd be hysterical if they encouraged a Tokyo-style race from the turnstiles. Before opening time, everybody stands very quietly and calmly in straight lines. But as soon as the ticket is scanned, it's a full-on sprint to the desired attraction or Duffy merchandise location. I almost got trampled twice before I caught on.

jaxonp

Actually, I think it'd be hysterical if they encouraged a Tokyo-style race from the turnstiles. Before opening time, everybody stands very quietly and calmly in straight lines. But as soon as the ticket is scanned, it's a full-on sprint to the desired attraction or Duffy merchandise location. I almost got trampled twice before I caught on.

But Tokyo isn’t Shanghai so...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

IMDREW

Universals security isn’t perfect as some here might think. I went from a morning at Volcany Bay to the other parks. Just before leaving VB I bought a coke. Was dropped off at the city walk and needed to get through security again. Then they told me I couldn’t bring my coke with me. I told them I just bought it at their own park and even had the receipt with me! But they wouldn’t let me pass through with it. I understand they want security but common, this was way too extreme for a themepark.

JoeCamel

Universals security isn’t perfect as some here might think. I went from a morning at Volcany Bay to the other parks. Just before leaving VB I bought a coke. Was dropped off at the city walk and needed to get through security again. Then they told me I couldn’t bring my coke with me. I told them I just bought it at their own park and even had the receipt with me! But they wouldn’t let me pass through with it. I understand they want security but common, this was way too extreme for a themepark.
You couldn't take an open drink into the MK either. Extreme? What if you spiked it or poured out the coke and filled it with something dangerous? Get a sealed drink and you are welcome to bring it in same as WDW.
I prefer they keep their liquor license intact and the vendors are not undercut by people trying to be cheap or "get one over" on them.

peter11435

You couldn't take an open drink into the MK either. Extreme? What if you spiked it or poured out the coke and filled it with something dangerous? Get a sealed drink and you are welcome to bring it in same as WDW.
I prefer they keep their liquor license intact and the vendors are not undercut by people trying to be cheap or "get one over" on them.
I have never been stopped when bringing an open beverage into a WDW Park.

Open beverages are not listed as a prohibited item for WDW.

sixbagelboy

I can't stand the sea of ugliness the Leave a Legacy as you enter the park and I really would like to see them gone. But, what about all of the people who paid to have their smiling faces on the monoliths? Was there a statement when they paid it would be temporary?

trainplane3

I can't stand the sea of ugliness the Leave a Legacy as you enter the park and I really would like to see them gone. But, what about all of the people who paid to have their smiling faces on the monoliths? Was there a statement when they paid it would be temporary?
It runs out in 2027 (I believe that was the date, someone correct if wrong) but it states that they'll be on property that will be publically accessable until that date. They could move them to Disney Springs and probably still be "legal". Point is, they can be moved as long as they can still be seen by the public on Disney property.

The actual reason why it the entrance (and spine) haven't been touched yet:
Hah. That just made me laugh. Marni knows this, but by way of explanation, it’s easier to get attractions budgeted and approved. You can show a return via increased attendance and ride throughputs. New restaurants and retail show new sales dollars. Spine, which is just atmosphere plus infrastructure, always gets shoved to the back burner unless absolutely necessary, or unless allocated via capital expenditure. Then you have to hope those dollars aren’t pulled for something else more necessary somewhere else. It will get done. Eventually. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was a statement they would be "displayed" for x amount of years.

Viget

This 100%, there's nothing more annoying than waiting in a security line at the Poly, transferring at the TTC, then walking down and waiting another 15 minutes at Epcot bag check only because monorail and bus traffic mix at this entrance, even a temporary solution could fix this problem for the moment.

There is one thing more annoying. It's walking to the TTC from the Poly (cause you're closer to that than the GCH) to avoid transferring, being herded into the general TTC screening lines, then having to go through EPCOT security again on arrival!!! ARRGH!

Can they please place a security check on the path from the poly to the TTC at least?!?!

Kman101

This shouldn't be a common practice. Not like I go every day to compare, but I've never been stopped.

And I'm not one to wave my wand and defend Universal no matter what, but I do think they have the security thing down pretty well, personally. But we can all have a different experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom