News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

azox

Yeah... the lack of buzz and slow construction makes me wonder. Is this going to be one of those projects where they suddenly just take down the construction walls and say, "Never mind. Move along. Nothing to see here..." (Sorta like the theater on Main Street)

I agree, that's what's been on my mind too. Just seeing some real work starting beyond land clearing would be great. I was also wondering about the timeline for this project. Does anyone know how long it took to do the original coaster in Shanghai? And if so any idea of how long it took once the first set of footings were poured?

Maybe when the boxes for GOTG and RAT are done, we will see some movement :)

-Scott

lazyboy97o

Do we actually know for a fact that when they were designing the new ride they did not also pre configure everything to be also built in the US? I mean, with the frequency of clone building, you would think they would have just had the Shanghai version be designed to fit compliance in all countires the ride could be used... I mean, it is not like they are starting from the ground up all over again with the design... Yes, site changes but most likely not everything....
It is simply not possible or practical. Again, just something as little as the bathrooms don’t comply and cannot be made to comply with both jurisdictions. Wall assemblies can change significantly between locations. How stucco ends at the bottom of an outside wall is something that can be dictated by location.

Even if it were possible, codes change. The Florida Building Code has been updated since Shanghai Disneyland opened, so a lot of work would have been wasted.

Missing20K

Do we actually know for a fact that when they were designing the new ride they did not also pre configure everything to be also built in the US? I mean, with the frequency of clone building, you would think they would have just had the Shanghai version be designed to fit compliance in all countires the ride could be used... I mean, it is not like they are starting from the ground up all over again with the design... Yes, site changes but most likely not everything....
cbwjl3D.gif

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The radically different water level, climate, weather, and environment in Florida would be enough to cause a huge redo of the plans even if codes and compliances could be accommodated for already.

Building something in a swamp with daily storms and multiple hurricanes a year in a high humidity/high heat environment. Not too mention an environment with no real heavy winter's or snow, rather hot year round.

Florida is incredibly unique in it's requirements and environment. Needing a lot of special consideration and accommodations for climate and environment while not needing ones that are standard most places. You literally could not make a large structure like a rollercoaster have the exact same build in every Disney park even if laws were the same everywhere.

Bocabear

The radically different water level, climate, weather, and environment in Florida would be enough to cause a huge redo of the plans even if codes and compliances could be accommodated for already.

Building something in a swamp with daily storms and multiple hurricanes a year in a high humidity/high heat environment. Not too mention an environment with no real heavy winter's or snow, rather hot year round.

Florida is incredibly unique in it's requirements and environment. Needing a lot of special consideration and accommodations for climate and environment while not needing ones that are standard most places. You literally could not make a large structure like a rollercoaster have the exact same build in every Disney park even if laws were the same everywhere.
So you are saying that the building in Shanghai would never be able to be built in Florida and hold up because the climate is so radically different that they have to throw the plans out and redesign the entire building and ride system from scratch, almost as if it has never been built before and there is no possible way to build anything that could be in the two different locations built the same way?

WDW Guru

So you are saying that the building in Shanghai would never be able to be built in Florida and hold up because the climate is so radically different that they have to throw the plans out and redesign the entire building and ride system from scratch, almost as if it has never been built before and there is no possible way to build anything that could be in the two different locations built the same way?

And that kids, is what we call a run-on sentence.

lazyboy97o

Legally? No.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Some elements can be reused. The foundation and supports and basically every aspect has to be designed in a different manner and of different materials. Florida is all about high winds and not being able to dig down very far before hitting water. Its very different than other locations.

Track layout and ride system can stay mostly if not entirely the same. But that's often the easy stuff.

As I said last time this conversation came up. I'm a mechanical engineering student with one fall/so class away from my degree at a Florida University. I may have little real world experience, but I have been studying this stuff and my professors all emphasize how different building things in different climates and areas are. Especially Florida itself being particularly unique.

Missing20K

Off the top of my head cause it's Friday and I'm about to leave work.
  1. Core Borings
  2. Civil Site Design
  3. ADA Compliance
  4. Structural Footings need recalculated
  5. ASHRAE (energy codes) IBC (Int'l Building Code) and Florida Building Codes
  6. The Speedway
  7. The canal
  8. Space Mountain
  9. Existing Park that will be open during construction
  10. Due Diligence (contracts, site visits, legal)
  11. All construction documents need created and stamped by appropriate US professionals
  12. Bidding and hiring of consultants
There are lots more. All before shovel really hits ground. Some site work can commence while final design documents are being created.

I don't know why I'm even trying.

lazyboy97o

Off the top of my head cause it's Friday and I'm about to leave work.
  1. Core Borings
  2. Civil Site Design
  3. ADA Compliance
  4. Structural Footings need recalculated
  5. ASHRAE (energy codes) IBC (Int'l Building Code) and Florida Building Codes
  6. The Speedway
  7. The canal
  8. Space Mountain
  9. Existing Park that will be open during construction
  10. Due Diligence (contracts, site visits, legal)
  11. All construction documents need created and stamped by appropriate US professionals
  12. Bidding and hiring of consultants
There are lots more. All before shovel really hits ground. Some site work can commence while final design documents are being created.

I don't know why I'm even trying.
You forgot the EPCOT Building Code. :eek:

geekza

Forgive my ignorance, but do theme park rides themselves need to be built to comply with ADA? I don't mean that to sound callous. If it were up to me, Disney parks would have all of their attractions accessible to anyone. I guess my question comes from the fact that there are rides that obviously aren't built to accommodate all disabilities or body types for safety reasons, so is it a matter of just the building itself being accessible?

Missing20K

Forgive my ignorance, but do theme park rides themselves need to be built to comply with ADA? I don't mean that to sound callous. If it were up to me, Disney parks would have all of their attractions accessible to anyone. I guess my question comes from the fact that there are rides that obviously aren't built to accommodate all disabilities or body types for safety reasons, so is it a matter of just the building itself being accessible?

There is a specific subsection of the code dealing with amusement rides. I won’t answer specifically because I will readily admit to having never worked on an amusement ride before. I will just link to he appropriate section of the code.

https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/buildings-and-sites/about-the-ada-standards/ada-standards/chapter-10-recreation-facilities

But...having a quick glance, the buildings (as usual) do need to comply with all sections of the ADA code. There appears to be a lot of wiggle room regarding ride vehicle design with a few “where possible” and “to the maximum extent possible” scattered about. I’m actually really interested now how strictly some of this is applied.

The building and any site ramps, walkways, etc. must all comply with ADA however.

lazyboy97o

ADA compliance around rides is definitely one of those areas that still remains open. There is no federal body that oversees and approves amusement rides. I think the last really big noise was in relation to persons missing limbs, often veterans, being denied access to roller coasters. Parks had become lax about allowing persons without limbs riding but reversed course following the ejection and death of a veteran on Ride of Steel at Darien Lake in 2011.

There are actually three courses at this year’s IAAPA Attractions Expo about accessibility, two of which seem to be somewhat geared toward the openness of rides.
http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iaapa...essions.aspx&SessionID=1326&SessionDateID=119
http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iaapa...essions.aspx&SessionID=1391&SessionDateID=120
http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iaapa...essions.aspx&SessionID=1317&SessionDateID=121

Missing20K

ADA compliance around rides is definitely one of those areas that still remains open. There is no federal body that oversees and approves amusement rides. I think the last really big noise was in relation to persons missing limbs, often veterans, being denied access to roller coasters. Parks had become lax about allowing persons without limbs riding but reversed course following the ejection and death of a veteran on Ride of Steel at Darien Lake in 2011.

There are actually three courses at this year’s IAAPA Attractions Expo about accessibility, two of which seem to be somewhat geared toward the openness of rides.
http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iaapa...essions.aspx&SessionID=1326&SessionDateID=119
http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iaapa...essions.aspx&SessionID=1391&SessionDateID=120
http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iaapa...essions.aspx&SessionID=1317&SessionDateID=121

Good info! Now to just figure out some reason to tell my firm it’s necessary I attend. And that they pay for it. With per diem of course.

Sundown

Evening, Martin. Spending the day enjoying some of your YouTube videos and some others. Not sure if this is the best thread or the Tomorrowland thread...but the answer may apply to both.

With the bringing of Tron to The Magic Kingdom, can the the BT (Brian Transeau) Tomorrowland area music also be expected to come?

I enjoy his atmospheric work at Shanghai. But I'd also be keen on a new composer setting the music atmosphere for MK Tron and/or the MK Tomorrowland "refresh". Keeping the music unique to Shanghai.

Any things you have heard or would be able to direct your attention to? Thank you.
@marni1971

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Evening, Martin. Spending the day enjoying some of your YouTube videos and some others. Not sure if this is the best thread or the Tomorrowland thread...but the answer may apply to both.

With the bringing of Tron to The Magic Kingdom, can the the BT (Brian Transeau) Tomorrowland area music also be expected to come?

I enjoy his atmospheric work at Shanghai. But I'd also be keen on a new composer setting the music atmosphere for MK Tron and/or the MK Tomorrowland "refresh". Keeping the music unique to Shanghai.

Any things you have heard or would be able to direct your attention to? Thank you.
@marni1971
I’ve not heard about audio, but the plan is to "relaunch" the land. Part of me wants to keep the current loop, part of me wonders (and worries) what they’d replace it with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom