News Liberty Square Riverboat closing for long refurb

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wish there was a picture of her being towed across the Seven Seas Lagoon.
I'll have to find my copy of one. I have a pic of LB being towed under the monorail tracks on SSL. On her way to Backstage Dry Dock on North end of Bay Lake.
I’ve this one

01CEC356-4FBE-4DBE-9F68-F420A16F1DD1.png

Monorail_Red_77

Was this taken as she was coming out of the canal or crossing into Bay Lake? It looks as if she was being towed by one of the resort boats, along with some smaller boats.
Looks to me from the pic as LB was entering Seven Seas Lagoon from backstage canal where Bay Lake/ Seven Seas Lagoon parade barges are stored.

Here's a pic of the boat I believe was towing LB. Other boats look to be security boats aiding navigation, etc.
Cruiser-boats_Full_6680.jpg;width=700;height=468;mode=crop;quality=60;encoder=freeimage;progressive=true

Monorail_Red_77

Looks to me from the pic as LB was entering Seven Seas Lagoon from backstage canal where Bay Lake/ Seven Seas Lagoon parade barges are stored.

Here's a pic of the boat I believe was towing LB. Other boats look to be security boats aiding navigation, etc.
Cruiser-boats_Full_6680.jpg;width=700;height=468;mode=crop;quality=60;encoder=freeimage;progressive=true

Here's my support for its location and direction. In the below pic. The blue oval is the monorail beam at waterbridge by Contemporary. Red oval is the monorail pilling fender. The waterbridge has an S curve in it. instead of the straight shot. The yellow oval shows the tow strap attached to SSL Cruiser Boat, specifically Castaways.
1532114349006.png

Canal on west end of SSL. Same fender shown protecting monorail beam pilar.
1532114552165.png

East end of SSL at Waterbridge showing no wooden fender for Monorail Beam Pilar.
1532114681757.png

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Anyone have any information on ‘what the heck’ happened? It was to be a long refurbish to start with and now extended once again for an undetermined span of a season. Just odd to be that far off twice. Or is the refurbishment possibility understaffed?

Feel bad for the guests that planned on doing the Challenge through Parkeology. 😦

WDWMPrincess

Is it possible they just uncovered something they were not expecting to have to repair due to wear, tear, and possibly whatever was done previously? As someone who's renovated an older home once upon a time I know this can sometimes make a seemingly small project balloon.

Biff215

Sorry to hear this as it was something my kids specifically wanted to do next month as we often skip by it. I imagine it’s just taking longer than expected, and hopefully it will return soon in great shape.

Phil12

I wonder if this is going to be like 20K Under the Sea? They closed that for refurbishment in 1994 and then they extended the refurbishment until 1996, when they then closed the attraction for good. If they want to develop TSI it would make sense to get rid of the water and the riverboat

WDWMPrincess

I wonder if this is going to be like 20K Under the Sea? They closed that for refurbishment in 1994 and then they extended the refurbishment until 1996, when they then closed the attraction for good. If they want to develop TSI it would make sense to get rid of the water and the riverboat

Aw now I'm sad. I loved 20k Under the Sea and this riverboat.

crxbrett

I don't think so. I thought somebody on here had already spoken to a CM or 2 and confirmed the boiler or some other part that was being replaced/refurbed on the ship was taking longer than expected. Also, I thought they had said it was requiring divers to go into the river at night to do some repairs.

Unlike 20KLUTS, I don't think this attraction requires nearly as much upkeep and it definitely does not need the same amount of CMs to operate it. I think that (the latter) was the biggest reason they pulled the plug on 20K, as dumb as that might be.

JoeCamel

Anyone have any information on ‘what the heck’ happened? . 😦
Ummm.... maybe restoring antique steam engines takes longer than anticipated? When the engine cannot be transported to a repair facility?
Or maybe the bean counters got to it and said stretch it out over two years?
What is the best guess?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Ummm.... maybe restoring antique steam engines takes longer than anticipated? When the engine cannot be transported to a repair facility?
Or maybe the bean counters got to it and said stretch it out over two years?
What is the best guess?
Ummm. Disney after so many years in lacks the ability to assess? I think not. They are better than that when they wish to be.

Captain Barbossa

Aw now I'm sad. I loved 20k Under the Sea and this riverboat.
Don't believe this guy. He's incorrect. The reason for the delay, as it's been stated in this thread, is that they had to do some unexpected work on the track in the RoA. As far as I know, the Liberty Belle's overhaul is finished and she's ready to return to the RoA. Just waiting for the track work to be completed. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom