It's Official: Bugs Land closing Sept 4th.

fctiger

No. I’m pretty sure ITTBAB is better than a spinner ride.

OK, I do agree with that but I have to be honest I can't even remember the last time I watched that movie and it was one of my favorites. I would've tried to have seen it one last time though if Disney didn't announce the closure AFTER they done it lol.

mickEblu

OK, I do agree with that but I have to be honest I can't even remember the last time I watched that movie and it was one of my favorites. I would've tried to have seen it one last time though if Disney didn't announce the closure AFTER they done it lol.

I only saw it a grand total of 3 times but it was really well done. Obviously not the most repeatable experience but definitely better than a spinner.

fctiger

My opinion is not an issue. I don’t care if Disney doesn’t care. Disney doesn’t care about folks like you either. So why are you here?

Can’t we complain in peace without folks seemingly trying to get us to stop voicing our opinions? Yes, it’s a hobby. If you’re aware this is a hobby, what is the point of your response?

I'm here because I still love the parks, want to keep track of new projects (like SW and Marvel) and talk to other theme park enthusiasts while reading about their experiences in the park! If I wasn't I wouldn't be here.

You can complain, but this isn't Facebook either. It's a public form. People are going to challenge others. No one said you can't complain, its the internet its what its built for lol. But my 'response' was if its become a hobby you have detested for literally years, then its probably not a very good hobby anymore, right? Again I'm not saying YOU, I don't pretend to know everyone here I'm only speaking in general.

But I guess Disney is like the bad relationship you won't leave. You complain about it, say it will never be the same and its no longer good for you but yet you keep coming back because you love them too much lol. That's human nature as well sadly.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I'm here because I still love the parks, want to keep track of new projects (like SW and Marvel) and talk to other theme park enthusiasts while reading about their experiences in the park! If I wasn't I wouldn't be here.

You can complain, but this isn't Facebook either. It's a public form. People are going to challenge others. No one said you can't complain, its the internet its what its built for lol. But my 'response' was if its become a hobby you have detested for literally years, then its probably not a very good hobby anymore, right? Again I'm not saying YOU, I don't pretend to know everyone here I'm only speaking in general.

But I guess Disney is like the bad relationship you won't leave. You complain about it, say it will never be the same and its no longer good for you but yet you keep coming back because you love them too much lol. That's human nature as well sadly.

Do we detest them or love them, which is it?

We love what the parks were and still are and could continue to be. We hate that current Disney is quite literally throwing the history and uniqueness of the parks in the incinerator.

Californian Elitist

Great. I’m here for the same reasons you are.

What does Facebook have to do with anything? I don’t see the comparison. My hobby of coming here to post is not something I “detest.” If I “dested” it, I wouldn’t be here. Not sure what you’re talking about. And where is this “for years” coming from?

In regards to your last paragraph, I’ve said multiple times that I’m letting my AP lapse after this year. And even if I didn’t let it lapse, Disney offers many things I still enjoy.

Phroobar

We love what the parks were and still are and could continue to be. We hate that current Disney is quite literally throwing the history and uniqueness of the parks in the incinerator.
Same old story when Pressler was running things.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Not understanding the love for this land. It was built on the cheap to attract more families to a park struggling to get people to visit. Same thing for the Tower of Terror. I remember going to the Cast Preview for this place. It was so underwhelming. You have a slow moving train on a short track, the slowest bumper cars ever, and a condensed version of the tea cups. Don't get me wrong, A Bugs Life is one of my all time favorite cartoons. It would have been amazing had they built a dark ride but they didn't. I have a 3 and 4 year old now and never once have they asked me to do something in a Bug's Land. I am glad they are tearing this place down and anything is an upgrade over it.

D.Silentu

The telling and disheartening thing is how we all seem unable to trust that Disney can create something worthy. With the ongoing Pixar Pier saga it's no mystery why we feel this way. Except for those who have no interest in superheroes, this should be an exciting time. This new land needs better than a C-Ticket for many reasons, but chiefly among them being the Star Wars land.

Yes, there will need to be a new offering to spread the crowds more evenly between the parks and any Marvel spinner they come up with will satisfy that point. However, if the Battle Escape and Millenium Falcon attractions are the cutting edge "Potter Swatters" that Disney claims, that won't be good enough. It's been argued here that Disney is giving the public just enough to be satisfied, but in a year the metric will have changed. People will have new, higher expectations and the 'good enough' attitude that currently prevails will no longer be good enough. Consider also that the fans of Star Wars and comics have a fair margin of overlap. I've loved Pixar from the beginning, but don't recall ever wanting to step into the world of any of their features. Marvel and Star Wars were a different story and for many I believe this differentiates the expectation from what one would anticipate of projects called Pixar Pier or Marvel World. If Galaxy's Edge is truly to shift the theme park paradigm then Disney needs to be willing to operate within the new parameters they have created.

TP2000

This is so stupid. They are getting rid of a perfectly fine land for more stuff that won't really fit the theme of the park. I say get rid of Hollywoodland for Marvel instead. Keep Bugs Land for the kiddos.

I could be swayed that removing the four kiddy rides in A Bug's Land was really bad for the park if the land had something to do with California. But it has nothing to do with California and was shoehorned in there in a panic after DCA opened in '01 and promptly fell flat on its face in the marketplace. Marvel Land, when it's completed in 2023 or later, will at least be more entertaining.

Yes, there are bugs in California. But there are bugs everywhere on the planet. It would be like having an Oxygen Land and claiming it was themed to California because there is oxygen in that state.

I wonder if they'll invite Cynthia Harriss and John Lassetter back for the Closing Ceremonies? :eek:

OCT06-a-BugsLand-TDID1180x600-780x440.jpg

fctiger

Great. I’m here for the same reasons you are.

What does Facebook have to do with anything? I don’t see the comparison. My hobby of coming here to post is not something I “detest.” If I “dested” it, I wouldn’t be here. Not sure what you’re talking about. And where is this “for years” coming from?

In regards to your last paragraph, I’ve said multiple times that I’m letting my AP lapse after this year. And even if I didn’t let it lapse, Disney offers many things I still enjoy.

Good to know!

And I said Facebook in the sense you can control what you want to discuss and can decide who you want to discuss it with. If people don't like others opinions they can ban them. They can't here, thats all. And as I said again I'm not saying you directly because I honestly don't know your posts here well. I've probably run into your posts here a few times at best the last few weeks. So the 'years; is just people in general on multiple boards who has been bitter about these parks but still go and talk about it. If that's not you then OK!

And yeah its probably a good idea to let your AP go. At least for a little while. I don't get the point of paying so much money if you are truly not enjoying it anymore? But many people seem to do that. The beauty is you can always go back later. Disney will happily take you back with open arms (and wallet lol).

fctiger

You can certainly hate that. But if you feel that way now, its clearly not going to change. I think everyone knows that. That said I don't blame people for feeling that way if you do. My only point is they have a direction and its clearly one that works. But I don't disagree they could do more unique things but I'm happy with the direction they are going in as well.

fctiger

Actually, you can. Click on someone's profile and hit the "ignore" button. It'll hide their comments.

Oh right! Actually I did do that I just forgot lol. Not any posters, some guy who was spamming here. I think I still have him blocked lol. Its still a bit different from FB though since you can have total control of your own page at least. You can ban them from even writing their opinion.

fctiger

Not understanding the love for this land. It was built on the cheap to attract more families to a park struggling to get people to visit. Same thing for the Tower of Terror. I remember going to the Cast Preview for this place. It was so underwhelming. You have a slow moving train on a short track, the slowest bumper cars ever, and a condensed version of the tea cups. Don't get me wrong, A Bugs Life is one of my all time favorite cartoons. It would have been amazing had they built a dark ride but they didn't. I have a 3 and 4 year old now and never once have they asked me to do something in a Bug's Land. I am glad they are tearing this place down and anything is an upgrade over it.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. ABL was OK, but it was always nothing more than a cheap quick fix. The land has been around over a decade and they never added one thing to it. They just didn't care and they knew no one else cared so not a surprise its now gone.

I give TOT more credit because it was at least a well themed and a popular ride but I still consider the one in DHS the superior one but I haven't rode that one in over a decade. It was nice to have a TOT just up the street if you will.

fctiger

I wonder if they'll also close Star Tours and move the simulators to Marvel land and copy HKDLs Iron Man attraction.

If they did that its no way they could use the same movie though. That film is tied directly to HKDL. Its not like Soarin over California, a brand new film would have to be made. But if they did that, sure.

fctiger

The telling and disheartening thing is how we all seem unable to trust that Disney can create something worthy. With the ongoing Pixar Pier saga it's no mystery why we feel this way. Except for those who have no interest in superheroes, this should be an exciting time. This new land needs better than a C-Ticket for many reasons, but chiefly among them being the Star Wars land.

Yes, there will need to be a new offering to spread the crowds more evenly between the parks and any Marvel spinner they come up with will satisfy that point. However, if the Battle Escape and Millenium Falcon attractions are the cutting edge "Potter Swatters" that Disney claims, that won't be good enough. It's been argued here that Disney is giving the public just enough to be satisfied, but in a year the metric will have changed. People will have new, higher expectations and the 'good enough' attitude that currently prevails will no longer be good enough. Consider also that the fans of Star Wars and comics have a fair margin of overlap. I've loved Pixar from the beginning, but don't recall ever wanting to step into the world of any of their features. Marvel and Star Wars were a different story and for many I believe this differentiates the expectation from what one would anticipate of projects called Pixar Pier or Marvel World. If Galaxy's Edge is truly to shift the theme park paradigm then Disney needs to be willing to operate within the new parameters they have created.

Actually I don't even think they need to do it as a 'Potter Swatter' anymore. WWOHP is still popular but its nowhere it use to be a few years ago. In fact USO was reported to be losing attendance last year and USH had little to no effect on DLR attendance at all when it opened there. It was kind of a surprise just how little fanfare that land had by the time it opened. I kind of thought USH would sort of be like DCA when they opened CL but nowhere close to that lol. I remember going a month after it opened, the ride had a 20 minute wait. Everyone who called themselves fans had already seen it in Florida and Osaka.

I would love if any of the rides in GE had a 20 minute wait a month after opening! That said I never believed GE is going to be crazy swamped for the next decade. Thats always the gloom and doom talk. It will be super busy for a year and then it will find a balance like it all does so we agree on that.

BrianLo

I wonder if they'll also close Star Tours and move the simulators to Marvel land and copy HKDLs Iron Man attraction.

That's definitely not in the cards.

There is a strong drive not to clone the Marvel attractions between all the various resorts. When all is said and done we're running about 10 different Marvel attractions between DL-WDW-HKDL-DLRP and thus far none are duplicates that we know of.

The Hong Kong Iron Man ride would require a completely new film for DCA. Kind of negating any real purposeful cost savings. If Star Tours replacement ever receives a clone, I think it will be something they can make work for Hollywood Studios and Disneyland.

I'm still holding out for Pigs in Space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom