The closest (best) beaches from Orlando

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
No better place to talk about it than here. I'll be there in October, a time when it is still hot in central Florida. One day I wouldn't mind going over to the beach. I haven't swam in the Atlantic since I was 10. What is the best beach on the east coast? A decent, but not too crazy traffic area. I am guessing the coast is about an hour away from Orlando. In 2012 we were in Southern California and visited Laguna, Santa Monica, etc. Lots of good beaches over there. Are any like that on the coast close to Orlando? Fort Lauderdale and Miami would be too far for my liking. I am thinking of just a day trip, even a partial day trip. Is Daytona alright?

Minnie Mum

No better place to talk about it than here.

The Parks board? Really? I would have thought the Trip Planning board, but maybe that's just me. And have you forgotten that Florida has 2 coasts? While both Cocoa and Daytona Beaches are a bit closer, I'd rather take a bit more time and head to Clearwater or Ft de Soto on the Gulf Coast. Bonus - watching the sunset.

Last edited:

deeevo

Anna Maria Island is what I recommend and it is an hour and 45 min drive from the parks with no traffic. It is old Florida without all the high rise hotels and packed beaches. I would stay away from Clearwater and St. Pete beach. Treasure Island and Redington are an options as well but your still dealing with traffic on Gulf Blvd but the beaches are big so there is plenty of room. Ft. De Soto is nice but it is limited in size since you want to be on the North Beach and you need to get there early enough to snag a good spot or you have to walk a pretty far distance to find a spot and it sucks if you have a bunch of stuff. I live 10 mins from AMI and grew up on the Pinellas beaches.

Schneewittchen

I'm from Maryland, so I get plenty of Atlantic beach time, it's all fine and good, but the gulf coast beaches are warmer, calmer and blue.

If you insist on the Atlantic coast, Daytona is okay.

On the Gulf Coast, we always stay in Pinellas County. We usually go to the beach at Treasure Island, Madeira Beach or Redington Beach. The whole area is chill. Lots of retirees. Just sit back, drink beer, eat seafood and get a sunburn.

Gainesvillain

Cherie Down park, which has facilities and lifeguards, @ Cape Canaveral is less than an hour from WDW, via 417 and 528 (aka the Beachline) . . . I am biased as I own a condo there, but it is less crowded than the more-famous Cocoa Beach, and no beach is closer (excluding Blizzard Beach, of course!).

Jwhee

New Smyrna Beach is the best on the Atlantic Coast that is near Central Fl.

Cocoa and Daytona are dirty. NSB gets far less tourists.

Palavralee

Since he asked about Atlantic coast beaches, the best bet, distance wise, would be Daytona, but there are many good beaches all along that area. Personally I much prefer the Gulf Coast, and I agree with Anna Maria Island as a great choice.
Actually, the best bet would be Cocoa Beach. It is less than an hour from the parks if you take the Beachline 528 toll road. Cocoa is a good beach.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I have no problem with the Gulf coast beaches. I am glad to hear some suggestions for those as well. I said Atlantic originally because I can't remember a whole lot about swimming in them as a kid. Once in Florida and another time in Atlantic City. Plus we have kids and taking them to the ocean for a day would be neat. A two hour drive might be passable, but a bit closer would be fine too as it would just be a day trip (maybe we spend 5 hours at the beach in total?) and I am factoring in back and forth travelling.

So.............Cocoa sounds like the favorite on the Atlantic. Daytona too but it is busier. Cape Canaveral and New Smyrna Beach are others.

On the Gulf Coast I am seeing St. Pete's as a favorite?

I have no issue with the Gulf either, just thinking about less travel and experiencing the Atlantic. Been to Cuba and Dominican as well. Heck, maybe we'll have room for two days at the beach and do each side, who knows.

Disneyhead'71

I have no problem with the Gulf coast beaches. I am glad to hear some suggestions for those as well. I said Atlantic originally because I can't remember a whole lot about swimming in them as a kid. Once in Florida and another time in Atlantic City. Plus we have kids and taking them to the ocean for a day would be neat. A two hour drive might be passable, but a bit closer would be fine too as it would just be a day trip (maybe we spend 5 hours at the beach in total?) and I am factoring in back and forth travelling.

So.............Cocoa sounds like the favorite on the Atlantic. Daytona too but it is busier. Cape Canaveral and New Smyrna Beach are others.

On the Gulf Coast I am seeing St. Pete's as a favorite?

I have no issue with the Gulf either, just thinking about less travel and experiencing the Atlantic. Been to Cuba and Dominican as well. Heck, maybe we'll have room for two days at the beach and do each side, who knows.
Take the Fam to The Don Caesar at St. Pete Beach for the day. Get the Mrs. a spa treatment and you and the rest of the family hit the beach. Have dinner and watch the sunset at the hotel before heading back to WDW.

the-don-cesar-st-pete.jpg

Last edited:

danheaton

Cocoa Beach is fine, but I'd go with the Canaveral National Seashore instead. The reason is that it's a lot less crowded and they don't allow cars on the beach. It's in a similar area to Cocoa and New Smyrna, but feels more like a destination. It depends on personal preference, but it was a big improvement over Cocoa for me.

Kristopher Rannells

We do a couple beach days at the end of WDW each trip as well as a second annual vacation to a beach which has taken us to a bunch of FL beaches. Let's be honest, WDW isn't relaxing at all! If you must do the Atlantic side, we prefer Cocoa Beach. It's the right mix of things to do and not too crowded.
We much prefer the Gulf side as it is more relaxed, water is all around better, and beaches are usually softer. That usually takes us to Siesta Key even though it is a little farther than some of the others. We feel it is the best beach in FL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom