Late Night Meltdown at Casey's Corner

DisNerd86

Original Poster
My family just returned from a fantastic trip to Disney World, followed up by a few days at the beach (to recover LOL). We spent 6 days soaking up the best of Disney and I was again reminded that one of my favorite things about the World is how it makes people happy and smiley. Then I stayed until almost midnight and was reminded how late night Disney makes people nuts. This story takes place at Casey’s Corner, between 11 and 12 pm. Read on if you dare…

My husband and I entered Casey’s on the late night to grab an order of mini-corn dogs. We were hungry and there isn’t much open late at MK. Plus those mini-corn dogs are the bomb.com. I knew it would be crowded and the line had started to creep out the front door. I planned on mobile ordering but as I pulled my phone out, it went dead. So off to the main line we went.

As we entered, we stood behind another young couple surveying the scene. The lines directly in front of the door were very long, but just to the side seemed pretty short. I noticed a sign pointing toward the back of the counter for mobile order pick up. Then we followed the young couple to the side line and waited patiently to order our delicious corn dog treats. After about 5 minutes of no one coming up to the counter to take an order, I suspected the line we were in was closed. Slowly but surely, the two parties in line ahead of us left the line and moved back to the longer door line. As they moved, I could see the “The Line is Closed” sign on the counter, but it had been pushed slightly behind the payment/Magic Band scanner so it was harder to see (but definitely visible).

After we moved, there were people in line behind us who stayed in the closed line. My husband and I said (loudly) that we thought that line was closed but it was chaotic and the parties behind us didn’t move. Then it got really entertaining.

After about 10 more minutes had passed, the woman at the front of the closed line shouted at a CM to take her order. The CM apologized and said that this line was closed. This shouty woman, and the man standing behind her, LOST THEIR MINDS. They shouted things like “She just closed the line while we were standing in it!” and “They took 4 people’s orders in front of us and then closed the line!” and “Get me a manager!” and (my favorite) “We’ve been standing here for half an hour and this line has been open!”. The CM patiently explained that, no this line had been closed for quite some time and she was the manager and had closed it herself. Then she pointed out the obscured “Line Closed” sign. The man in line shouted “That’s bulls***!” He then pointed aggressively at the sign hanging above the line and said “THE SIGN SAYS ENTER!” (as if the affixed hanging “Enter” and “Exit” signs get removed when the line closes LOL)

People were yelling, babies were crying (who keeps a baby out that late?), and CMs were scrambling. Chaos had ensued. My husband and I watched from our spot in the neighboring line, chatting with the lady behind us who had also moved out of the closed line, about how late night Disney brings out the worst in people. These adults were acting like children and were lying about the wait and circumstances to get special treatment. I wanted to go intervene and explain that these people were nuts, but my husband advised against getting involved in what was turning into an ugly spat.

The CM ended up taking orders for the 3 or 4 parties in the closed line. She also comped the meal of the crazy man that had been screaming at her. He ordered (no joke) 10 lemonade slushies and 10 hot dog meals. He and the other shouty lady saw me during all this waiting in my line, knowing I had been in line in front of them, and began smirking with the self-satisfied grin of someone who has gamed the system and knows it. Meanwhile, I waited another 20 minutes to order. But karma isn’t all bad. The first lady in the closed line was only waiting on 2 hot dog meals and somehow her order didn’t come out until the same time as mine despite my longer wait in a real line. When her order came out, they had included an extra mac & cheese dog. She tried to give it back and they told her to keep it on the house and she got mad again (?!?!) and shouted “Who is going to eat this!”. Thankfully the CMs ignored this ignorance and the woman retreated to her family with an extra meal to boot.

The whole experience showed me how classy the Disney CMs are, and how trashy other people can be when they are tired and crabby. The fun didn’t stop there though. The man in line in front of us got agitated and demanded to speak to a manager because his Disney Visa Rewards didn’t work. He yelled “How does a Disney restaurant not accept a Disney Rewards card?” He was super ed and being kind of nasty and loud about it. Then the manager told him the card was denied for insufficient funds because it was a gift card that only had $6 on it. LOL he turned bright red and paid with his Magic Band. After that, the woman on the other side of the alternating line ordered using a coupon that the CM didn’t know how to ring up. Then her friend went ahead with her own order instead of alternating back to us, which we found very unfair but didn’t complain about because WE ARE ADULTS that know that sometimes life isn’t fair.

Kudos to the staff at Casey’s Corner for dealing with the crazy late night crowds, particularly the manager Amber. I’m guessing that is one of the worst food service jobs in all of the parks. Nothing like Disney magic to put people on their best behavior!

SwoopDaddy82

Out of the three times my family and I have been to Disney World, there’s never been a times where a CM has been out of line. It’s always the guests. And that reminds me of our last visit two years ago when some fool kept running into my wifes heel with a stroller on the way out of MK after fireworks. This kept up until I turned around stared him down. He kept his distance after that.
However we may be making a return trek in June of 2019 and we will have a two year old with us so I may be in the wrong for faulting him about stroller etiquette at WDW. I know I wouldn’t run into someone’s heel. Lolol

OneofThree

My family just returned from a fantastic trip to Disney World, followed up by a few days at the beach (to recover LOL). We spent 6 days soaking up the best of Disney and I was again reminded that one of my favorite things about the World is how it makes people happy and smiley. Then I stayed until almost midnight and was reminded how late night Disney makes people nuts. This story takes place at Casey’s Corner, between 11 and 12 pm. Read on if you dare…

My husband and I entered Casey’s on the late night to grab an order of mini-corn dogs. We were hungry and there isn’t much open late at MK. Plus those mini-corn dogs are the bomb.com. I knew it would be crowded and the line had started to creep out the front door. I planned on mobile ordering but as I pulled my phone out, it went dead. So off to the main line we went.

As we entered, we stood behind another young couple surveying the scene. The lines directly in front of the door were very long, but just to the side seemed pretty short. I noticed a sign pointing toward the back of the counter for mobile order pick up. Then we followed the young couple to the side line and waited patiently to order our delicious corn dog treats. After about 5 minutes of no one coming up to the counter to take an order, I suspected the line we were in was closed. Slowly but surely, the two parties in line ahead of us left the line and moved back to the longer door line. As they moved, I could see the “The Line is Closed” sign on the counter, but it had been pushed slightly behind the payment/Magic Band scanner so it was harder to see (but definitely visible).

After we moved, there were people in line behind us who stayed in the closed line. My husband and I said (loudly) that we thought that line was closed but it was chaotic and the parties behind us didn’t move. Then it got really entertaining.

After about 10 more minutes had passed, the woman at the front of the closed line shouted at a CM to take her order. The CM apologized and said that this line was closed. This shouty woman, and the man standing behind her, LOST THEIR MINDS. They shouted things like “She just closed the line while we were standing in it!” and “They took 4 people’s orders in front of us and then closed the line!” and “Get me a manager!” and (my favorite) “We’ve been standing here for half an hour and this line has been open!”. The CM patiently explained that, no this line had been closed for quite some time and she was the manager and had closed it herself. Then she pointed out the obscured “Line Closed” sign. The man in line shouted “That’s bulls***!” He then pointed aggressively at the sign hanging above the line and said “THE SIGN SAYS ENTER!” (as if the affixed hanging “Enter” and “Exit” signs get removed when the line closes LOL)

People were yelling, babies were crying (who keeps a baby out that late?), and CMs were scrambling. Chaos had ensued. My husband and I watched from our spot in the neighboring line, chatting with the lady behind us who had also moved out of the closed line, about how late night Disney brings out the worst in people. These adults were acting like children and were lying about the wait and circumstances to get special treatment. I wanted to go intervene and explain that these people were nuts, but my husband advised against getting involved in what was turning into an ugly spat.

The CM ended up taking orders for the 3 or 4 parties in the closed line. She also comped the meal of the crazy man that had been screaming at her. He ordered (no joke) 10 lemonade slushies and 10 hot dog meals. He and the other shouty lady saw me during all this waiting in my line, knowing I had been in line in front of them, and began smirking with the self-satisfied grin of someone who has gamed the system and knows it. Meanwhile, I waited another 20 minutes to order. But karma isn’t all bad. The first lady in the closed line was only waiting on 2 hot dog meals and somehow her order didn’t come out until the same time as mine despite my longer wait in a real line. When her order came out, they had included an extra mac & cheese dog. She tried to give it back and they told her to keep it on the house and she got mad again (?!?!) and shouted “Who is going to eat this!”. Thankfully the CMs ignored this ignorance and the woman retreated to her family with an extra meal to boot.

The whole experience showed me how classy the Disney CMs are, and how trashy other people can be when they are tired and crabby. The fun didn’t stop there though. The man in line in front of us got agitated and demanded to speak to a manager because his Disney Visa Rewards didn’t work. He yelled “How does a Disney restaurant not accept a Disney Rewards card?” He was super ****ed and being kind of nasty and loud about it. Then the manager told him the card was denied for insufficient funds because it was a gift card that only had $6 on it. LOL he turned bright red and paid with his Magic Band. After that, the woman on the other side of the alternating line ordered using a coupon that the CM didn’t know how to ring up. Then her friend went ahead with her own order instead of alternating back to us, which we found very unfair but didn’t complain about because WE ARE ADULTS that know that sometimes life isn’t fair.

Kudos to the staff at Casey’s Corner for dealing with the crazy late night crowds, particularly the manager Amber. I’m guessing that is one of the worst food service jobs in all of the parks. Nothing like Disney magic to put people on their best behavior!

In the current climate of seemingly widespread and senseless violence, I would be in total support of Disney security removing lunatics like this from the property when they lose their minds.

DisNerd86

Original Poster
The way they rewarded that bad behaviour is mind boggling to me.

If someone ever asks why people behave that way, the answer, apparently, is because it works.

Yes. This. While we were in line, we were sort of laughing at first at all the dumbies that didn't get out of the closed line. But then I told my husband that we were the dumb ones - these people would just complain until they opened the line up. And that is exactly what happend! And then they comped the crazy guy's meal. I'm too much of a rule follower to ascribe to this life strategy but it seems to work pretty well at Disney...

eliza61nyc

If someone ever asks why people behave that way, the answer, apparently, is because it works.
Speaking as a customer service refugee, the reason why we do it is because it's the lesser of two evils.
The basic premise is you want the nut job out of there as quickly as possible without escalating the situation.

eliza61nyc

These people scare me. I see a lot more than I used to, with this entitlement chip on their shoulders, where they think they can get away with anything because they think the world owes them everything.

I always avoid these people like the plague.
and I think at Disney it's ramped up on steriods. How many times have we heard the famous line "Do you know how much I paid for this vacation" yelled at some poor CM?? humm yes we do because EVERYONE is paying that price, moron.!!

Po'Rich

Personally, I think karma takes care of these sorts of things (and I don't mean this in a mystical sort of way). People who behave this way in this situation also behave this way in other situations. Yet, I truly believe they end up living less happy lives. For them, everything becomes a fight and a battle, which only ends up raising their blood pressure. They may end up with a "free" meal from time to time, but it comes at the expense of their peace.

Ricky Spanish

The whole experience showed me how classy the Disney CMs are, and how trashy other people can be when they are tired and crabby. The fun didn’t stop there though. The man in line in front of us got agitated and demanded to speak to a manager because his Disney Visa Rewards didn’t work. He yelled “How does a Disney restaurant not accept a Disney Rewards card?” He was super ****ed and being kind of nasty and loud about it. Then the manager told him the card was denied for insufficient funds because it was a gift card that only had $6 on it. LOL he turned bright red and paid with his Magic Band. After that, the woman on the other side of the alternating line ordered using a coupon that the CM didn’t know how to ring up. Then her friend went ahead with her own order instead of alternating back to us, which we found very unfair but didn’t complain about because WE ARE ADULTS that know that sometimes life isn’t fair.

Hey, DisNerd, I applaud you for being a patient, normal, courteous person.
I find that there are few left in the world, let alone WDW.
It's a pity that others have to lie, cheat and (in essence) steal to make themselves feel better.
I have said in other posts, one of the reasons we enjoy WDW so much is watching the meltdowns.
On a few occasions, we have told CMs the truth behind other's lies.
As a former business owner, I know how a consumer will lie "just to get something for free".

MickeyMimi

12th graders - part of the "everyone gets a trophy & nobody gets cut from the team" generation
I think that can be attributed to the parents/older generation. In the (somewhat overused) "everyone gets a trophy" example, it's the parents that demand trophies for their children. Unfortunately, some of the children then learn to model that behavior.

I suppose that means we have a new "trophy" generation now, for those that continue to use the term. It used to be applied to Millennials (therefore, shame on the Boomers that insisted on trophies & no cuts), but a 12th grader as of today would be part of a different generation. Millennials are finally free! Enjoy the head shaking, Gen Z!

ChanduTail

I would have just politely gone over & told the CM that we were next in line, and had been waiting for some time. I wouldn’t have stood in silence or just announced to nobody in particular that the line was closed. I think CMs try to get rid of the most annoying people first & if you show that you are content to wait... they will leave you waiting. The people you encountered were very rude. People like that will walk all over you & others if you allow them to. You should never sink to their level by yelling/demanding/making a scene, but you have to stand up for yourself. It’s one of the only things I dislike about WDW, at times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom