Disney's comments on Alfred Hitchcock and that "disgusting" movie Psycho

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I always heard this quote and I always wonder what the context was over. Hitchcock was not allowed to film on Disneyland property because Walt didn't like that "disgusting" movie Psycho, which was made in 1960. I get that both men produced very different styles of movies and such but I was wondering why it was just Psycho. Bob Cummings was in Hitchcock's 1954 "Dial M For Murder" and in 1955 Walt had him on opening day at Disneyland. So was it just Psycho in general he didn't like? I realize it was a movie quite ahead of its time but what did Walt not like about it, was it the murders? The shower scene? I always wondered. Plus, was Hitchcock asking to film some movies in Disneyland and this is what triggered this response?

KanakoS

...I don't know but honestly Psycho isn't disgusting i guess it may be the shower scene COME ON WALT YA HAD INNUENDO IN YOUR FILMS TOO look at pirates theres a topless woman on it!!!!

Minnie Mum

Psycho was the first slasher movie (I think). There are lots of people who are repulsed by them. And given Hitchcock's mania over keeping every detail secret while filming Psycho, perhaps Disney was worried that Disneyland might be shown in the context of another slasher film.

Disney wasn't alone. Paramount refused to buy the book for Hitchcock, or allow filming at their studio. They only agreed to distribute it after Hitchcock made a deal with them.

lilclerk

Psycho was the first slasher movie (I think). There are lots of people who are repulsed by them. And given Hitchcock's mania over keeping every detail secret while filming Psycho, perhaps Disney was worried that Disneyland might be shown in the context of another slasher film.

Disney wasn't alone. Paramount refused to buy the book for Hitchcock, or allow filming at their studio. They only agreed to distribute it after Hitchcock made a deal with them.
It also showed non-violent taboos for the time, like an unmarried couple being shown in bed and Marion in her underwear in the opening scene. Plus Norman Bates dressed in womens' clothes. It was a very controversial film.

DfromATX

I love that movie and I've shown it to all my kids! I can totally see why it was considered risque (or "disgusting") for 1960.

crxbrett

Psycho is a classic and was really ahead of it's time. As a huge film buff, it's definitely one of my all-time favorite horror/thriller suspense movies. Anthony Perkins was absolutely brilliant as Norman Bates. So much so that it kind of stunted his career from that point on, as nobody could see him as anything but "Noooormaaaan!!!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom