So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 17: The International Edition

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Yes but so much of the Visions Fantastic seasons are lost to the realms of time.
What I can do is hand-pick one project from each of the 16 seasons leading up to this one and highlight it. Once we get into the WDWMagic era (seasons 13 and beyond) I can start sharing the full projects but for the first 12 I'll do a little write up on each of them.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
You still have Seasons 13-16 here...and I know there are backlog blogs and videos that contain at least concept art from previous seasons, it just would need to be compiled.

I think he's talking like the REALLY early stuff, like seasons 1-6 which there's virtually NOTHING left compiled outside of mayyyyybe a fan archive or something we'd have to dig up.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think he's talking like the REALLY early stuff, like seasons 1-6 which there's virtually NOTHING left compiled outside of mayyyyybe a fan archive or something we'd have to dig up.
A quick google search and I found both a Season 10 review blog and a blog of all projects from Season 8 - I'm sure there's more out there :)

http://soyouwanttobeanimagineermyperspective.blogspot.com/?view=classic
http://imagineeringarchives.blogspot.com/2013/03/season-eight-project-one-mirror.html

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
A quick google search and I found both a Season 10 review blog and a blog of all projects from Season 8 - I'm sure there's more out there :)

http://soyouwanttobeanimagineermyperspective.blogspot.com/?view=classic
http://imagineeringarchives.blogspot.com/2013/03/season-eight-project-one-mirror.html

Oh man, I completely forgot about those blogs haha. Those were the days! :) Man the level of hype for the game in those days...completely different from something like Sorcerer's Apprentice but that blog was like an early predecessor to the Youtube channel. Good times. Of course that still doesn't solve the problem of archived content from seasons 1-6 in particular being non-extistent though I'm sure there's a few out there and for those seasons I can definitely do detailed write-ups based on memory for each of them.

spacemt354

Chili's
Here's another member from Season 11 - C.S. Schottmann showing off all his concept art in a blog
http://inspirationalsparks.blogspot.com/2013/05/

I know we're looking for earlier season but I found these in 5 mins on a google search haha -- life finds a way, I'm sure something's out there. Even if not there's more than enough to have a SYWTBAI Rogues Gallery of Historical Context to build a thread around!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Oh man, I completely forgot about those blogs haha. Those were the days! :) Man the level of hype for the game in those days...completely different from something like Sorcerer's Apprentice but that blog was like an early predecessor to the Youtube channel. Good times. Of course that still doesn't solve the problem of archived content from seasons 1-6 in particular being non-extistent though I'm sure there's a few out there and for those seasons I can definitely do detailed write-ups based on memory for each of them.
Hey! Maybe you could even do a short practice prompt (like one or two sentence kinda thing) based on whatever project you do the write up for! Sorta like the Imagineering question of the day from the SA thread mixed with the archive/history lesson.

spacemt354

Chili's
Now I'm on a quest --- I'll find something if you and @AceAstro can assemble it and make it look nice!

I think that would be fun and be a chance to tag old players on the work they've done over the years. Even if it's just concept art or a review...something's better than nothing.

spacemt354

Chili's
Did this research last year, leading up to Season 14.

Stuff's out there...just a matter of putting in the effort to compile it. :cool:
-----------------------------------------------------------​

Season 1 Hosts/Judges - TheOriginalTIki, JagFKB

Cast
DisneyFreak59
@Basketbuddy101
CostaFreak
Big Disney Fan
EliSoCool (first Wild Card)
Rachel
Maul2 (First Players eliminated)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Season 2 - Hosts/Judges TheOriginalTiki

Cast
JagFKB
@Basketbuddy101
Disneylover4ever (first international player)
EliSoCool
CostaFreak
Bernstein
Austin

Season 3 - Judges TheOriginalTiki, LightTech

Cast
MadAboutMickey
@Basketbuddy101
Spcmt (no this isn't me lol)
@romanarms
Disneylover4ever
DisneyFan1
CostaFreak

Season 4 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki

Cast
@Basketbuddy101
@KingMickey
NLight
JPhelps
Jessiestudio
Kileli
@romanarms
CostaFreak
Disneylover4ever
FoxR06
World

Season 5 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki

Cast
@romanarms
CostaFreak
@MANEATINGWREATH
World
@KingMickey
@MaterA113
JPhelps

Season 6 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @MANEATINGWREATH
(first game with project leaders and application process)

Cast
Team Ansem

@KingMickey
@MaterA113
Big Disney Fan
Disneyland DHI
Disneylover4ever
Evams123

Team Yensid
@romanarms
@TrevorA
PL7764
HereWeGo
Fantasmic!
Disneylover4ever

Season 7- Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki
Cast

Fans
@monkey92514
@Twilight_Roxas
@mickeyfan5534
@JokersWild -- akaAdvBlueDude
@ValentineMouse -- akaMouseketeerCole
DisneySea Fan

Favorites
@KingMickey
@MaterA113
@TrevorA
@hack2112
JPhelps
Jessiestudio
Disneylover4ever

Season 8 - Hosted by @MANEATINGWREATH and @KingMickey

Cast
@Disneyson 1
@TheOriginalTiki
@monkey92514
@JokersWild akaAdvBlueDude
@hack2112
@TrevorA
@MaterA113
@ValentineMouse -- aka MouseketeerCole
Jessiestudio
CostaFreak
DisneyRules2010
OSUPhantom
Big Disney Fan
@Stratofarius
Imagineer2017
Madaboutmickey
JPhelps
JagFKB

Season 9 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki

Cast
@Basketbuddy101
@Disneyson 1
@hack2112
@MANEATINGWREATH
@monkey92514
@Thrill
CostaFreak
DisneyParksFanatic
DWorld
Eskimokyle
FutureImagineer
Imagineer2017
MickeyMania1
Monsterzendog
StarWarsGeek

Season 10 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki
(Judges -- @KingMickey and @ValentineMouse akaMouseketeerCole)

Cast
@MANEATINGWREATH
@Basketbuddy101
@Thrill
@Snoopy
@DisneyManOne
@OwlSong74 -- aka FrontierlandFan
@monkey92514
@comics101
@hack2112
@mickeyfan5534
StarWarsGeek
FutureImagineer
PhineastheGhost

Season 11 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @JokersWild

Cast
@Basketbuddy101
@MANEATINGWREATH
@comics101
@Snoopy
@monkey92514
@Thrill
@Brer Panther -- aka Brerkitten
@DisneyManOne
@ScorpionX -- akakermitdefrog
@OwlSong74 -- akaFrontierlandFan
StarWarsGeek
FutureImagineer
CostaFreak
Fantasmic!

Season 12 - Hosted by @MANEATINGWREATH and @TrevorA

Cast
@TheOriginalTiki
@JokersWild -- aka AdvBlueDude
@monkey92514
@Snoopy
@Brer Panther -- aka Brerkitten
@Twilight_Roxas
@comics101
@Darth_Disney -- aka yensid
@ScorpionX -- aka kermitdefrog
@InfiniteRightEar97
@DisneyManOne
Pixiedust

Season 13 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @JokersWild

Cast
@Basketbuddy101
@SandyClaws
@mickeyfan5534
@FigmentPigments
@KingOfEpicocity
@Flippin'Flounder
@Angels and Disney's
@disneydf
@MonorailRed
@spacemt354
@englanddg
@RMichael21
@DSquared
@MANEATINGWREATH
@IAmNotAHufflepuff
@Poe Dameron
@iamaninsomniac
@disneyforever101396

Season 14 - Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @MANEATINGWREATH

Cast
@Pionmycake
@mickeyfan5534
@IAmNotAHufflepuff
@David2319
@kmbmw777
@CraniumCommand89
@Brer Oswald
@RMichael21
@Angels and Disney's
@JokersWild
@DisneyManOne
@Magic Feather
@Snoopy
@MonorailRed
@spacemt354
@TrevorA
@Basketbuddy101
@NAdoTEg
@ThatGuyFromFlorida
@MCParradox
@StevenU

Most Seasons Played
(including Season 14)

@Basketbuddy101 - 9
CostaFreak - 8
@JokersWild - 6
@monkey92514 - 6
@MANEATINGWREATH - 5
Disneylover4ever - 5
@KingMickey - 4
@Snoopy - 4
@DisneyManOne - 4
@mickeyfan5534 - 4
@TrevorA - 4
@MaterA113 - 4
@romanarms - 3

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Season One Historical Retrospective

Before season one even existed, there was another Disney fan site that has since fallen into obscurity much like VisionsFantastic itself. That site was MouseTimes.com. MouseTimes was the actual birthplace of the Armchair Imagineering competition, at least as far back as I can trace it. Future season six and seven contestant OSU Phantom (known as Stitch at the time) helped bring to reality the idea I'd had for a while now for combining The Apprentice with creative writing assignments in the Imagineering field. I was a young teenager obsessed with Survivor, Big Brother, and even American Idol at the time. I longed for a game with the legacy and history of one like Survivor, with different twists, eras, memorable heroes and villains, and stand-out champions. I think it's safe to say after everything that's happened with the eventual game I've reached said goal, but were jumping ahead.

"The Imagineer" was the name of the game Stitch and I created for MouseTimes, and it was a very straight-forward challenge of creative writing skills. While the game even made its way on to the site's main page with featured prizes...something that has never existed in So, You Want to be an Imagineer...the game never really took off in a big way and each season featured roughly 6 players each. Time comittment has always been a challenge running the game but with the concept in its infancy the MouseTimes days were an especially trying time.

It was around the time the third season of "The Imagineer" was wrapping up that I got a private message from someone named DisneyFan who represented the VisionsFantastic Imagineering forums. VF is a site I was familiar with through their then thriving multimedia coverage of the Disneyland Resort, but a site that I never ventured into on a social level. DisneyFan was offering me a judging position on a new Armchair Imagineering competition he was starting up on VF's boards..."So, You Want to be an Imagineer". That's right, though I do take credit for creating the original game that inspired SYWTBAI and obviously I've taken the reigns on the game as the main host and producer for the vast majority of its lifespan, I cannot take credit for its original creation. Big thanks to DisneyFan, as it's a damn catchy name and a calling card that was the perfect branding to elevate this game above "The Imagineer" competition that came before.

Entering season one of "So, You Want to be an Imagineer", I had no idea what to expect and I vividly remember a sense of this being a temporary stop along the way, not grasping the importance this particular game would have. Season one definitely played out as its own version of Survivor: Borneo. Eight players would take to the task this time around, a number that would echoed in seasons two, three, and five each with their various ups and downs. The first few rounds were rather generic prompts from what I remember, with people like Rachel and Maul2 very quickly fading into obscurity and the latter being the game's Sonja Christopher as the first elimination.

The final five of season one though, REMARKABLY holds up on future inspection and serves as a Rushmore of different player archetypes. Elisokool became the first player with the "Wild Card" title in the game as someone who was a bit sketchy when it came to being actively present but always knocked it out of the park when he did turn something in. It was the final four that really cemmented the game as something above the foundation laid out by "The Imagineer". This is perhaps THE most iconic moment in the history of game and set the "anyone can win" precedent going forward. Up until that point, legendary player and eventual two-time winner @Basketbuddy101 had been in a dominant position cracking out by far the most impressive projects prompt after prompt. A little thing called realism bit Basketbuddy in the butt in the final four round, leading to another iconic player in CostaFreak making the final three with a less detailed but more feasible proposal for a California Adventure E-Ticket. Basketbuddy's concept featured a flying roller coaster in Condor Flats. Having visited DCA on an annual basis and also knowing a Condor Flats CM from my early days on Disney fan sites, the big problem with this concept was space...especially with the classy Grand Californian literally leaning right up against the land. Basketbuddy wasn't happy with his elimination, but it set the stage for him to become the most celebrated player in the game's history.

Speaking of celebrated, DisneyFreak's "Legend of the Lost Army" is of course the most iconic project of season one, the one everyone points to as the first big stand-out idea in the game, and even the project that topped my "Top Ten Projects" list I did on the blog after season seven. Legend of the Lost Army was an E-Ticket thrill ride in Epcot's China pavilion with a historical twist, using the legend of the stone Teracotta soldiers coming to life as the basis for something that blended Indiana Jones style thrills with a sense of culture only an Epcot ride could truly provide. It to this day remains among the most iconic E-Ticket attractions ever created for the game. @spacemt354 if you could find this I'd love to showcase it in its full glory here!

Eventually CostaFreak got eliminated in 3rd place leading to a battle between DisneyFreak and Armchair Imagineering veteran @mharrington, an amazing final two considering Harrington's long lasting legacy within this community. DisneyFreak ultimately ran away with the title of the game's first winner and to this day pops in from time to time to act as an ambassador for the game's earliest days. DisneyFreak is a perfect first winner and her only playing once only cements her legacy.

spacemt354

Chili's

Before season one even existed, there was another Disney fan site that has since fallen into obscurity much like VisionsFantastic itself. That site was MouseTimes.com. MouseTimes was the actual birthplace of the Armchair Imagineering competition, at least as far back as I can trace it. Future season six and seven contestant OSU Phantom (known as Stitch at the time) helped bring to reality the idea I'd had for a while now for combining The Apprentice with creative writing assignments in the Imagineering field. I was a young teenager obsessed with Survivor, Big Brother, and even American Idol at the time. I longed for a game with the legacy and history of one like Survivor, with different twists, eras, memorable heroes and villains, and stand-out champions. I think it's safe to say after everything that's happened with the eventual game I've reached said goal, but were jumping ahead.

"The Imagineer" was the name of the game Stitch and I created for MouseTimes, and it was a very straight-forward challenge of creative writing skills. While the game even made its way on to the site's main page with featured prizes...something that has never existed in So, You Want to be an Imagineer...the game never really took off in a big way and each season featured roughly 6 players each. Time comittment has always been a challenge running the game but with the concept in its infancy the MouseTimes days were an especially trying time.

It was around the time the third season of "The Imagineer" was wrapping up that I got a private message from someone named DisneyFan who represented the VisionsFantastic Imagineering forums. VF is a site I was familiar with through their then thriving multimedia coverage of the Disneyland Resort, but a site that I never ventured into on a social level. DisneyFan was offering me a judging position on a new Armchair Imagineering competition he was starting up on VF's boards..."So, You Want to be an Imagineer". That's right, though I do take credit for creating the original game that inspired SYWTBAI and obviously I've taken the reigns on the game as the main host and producer for the vast majority of its lifespan, I cannot take credit for its original creation. Big thanks to DisneyFan, as it's a damn catchy name and a calling card that was the perfect branding to elevate this game above "The Imagineer" competition that came before.

Entering season one of "So, You Want to be an Imagineer", I had no idea what to expect and I vividly remember a sense of this being a temporary stop along the way, not grasping the importance this particular game would have. Season one definitely played out as its own version of Survivor: Borneo. Eight players would take to the task this time around, a number that would echoed in seasons two, three, and five each with their various ups and downs. The first few rounds were rather generic prompts from what I remember, with people like Rachel and Maul2 very quickly fading into obscurity and the latter being the game's Sonja Christopher as the first elimination.

The final five of season one though, REMARKABLY holds up on future inspection and serves as a Rushmore of different player archetypes. Elisokool became the first player with the "Wild Card" title in the game as someone who was a bit sketchy when it came to being actively present but always knocked it out of the park when he did turn something in. It was the final four that really cemmented the game as something above the foundation laid out by "The Imagineer". This is perhaps THE most iconic moment in the history of game and set the "anyone can win" precedent going forward. Up until that point, legendary player and eventual two-time winner @Basketbuddy101 had been in a dominant position cracking out by far the most impressive projects prompt after prompt. A little thing called realism bit Basketbuddy in the butt in the final four round, leading to another iconic player in CostaFreak making the final three with a less detailed but more feasible proposal for a California Adventure E-Ticket. Basketbuddy's concept featured a flying roller coaster in Condor Flats. Having visited DCA on an annual basis and also knowing a Condor Flats CM from my early days on Disney fan sites, the big problem with this concept was space...especially with the classy Grand Californian literally leaning right up against the land. Basketbuddy wasn't happy with his elimination, but it set the stage for him to become the most celebrated player in the game's history.

Speaking of celebrated, DisneyFreak's "Legend of the Lost Army" is of course the most iconic project of season one, the one everyone points to as the first big stand-out idea in the game, and even the project that topped my "Top Ten Projects" list I did on the blog after season seven. Legend of the Lost Army was an E-Ticket thrill ride in Epcot's China pavilion with a historical twist, using the legend of the stone Teracotta soldiers coming to life as the basis for something that blended Indiana Jones style thrills with a sense of culture only an Epcot ride could truly provide. It to this day remains among the most iconic E-Ticket attractions ever created for the game. @spacemt354 if you could find this I'd love to showcase it in its full glory here!

Eventually CostaFreak got eliminated in 3rd place leading to a battle between DisneyFreak and Armchair Imagineering veteran @mharrington, an amazing final two considering Harrington's long lasting legacy within this community. DisneyFreak ultimately ran away with the title of the game's first winner and to this day pops in from time to time to act as an ambassador for the game's earliest days. DisneyFreak is a perfect first winner and her only playing once only cements her legacy.
Looks good - this synopsis might even deserve its own thread so it can be used for future seasons too!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Loved reading this! So fascinating!

It's kinda funny, between The Imagineer and The Sorcerer's Apprentice, this site owes a surprisingly large amount to Trump hahaha

Suchomimus

Tannen Trump
CVr3KAqUsAAxZoQ.png

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Were closing in on one week until the start date. Still looking for another player on Team China.

Looks good - this synopsis might even deserve its own thread so it can be used for future seasons too!
I'll definitely be moving this into its own thread once sign ups are over!

Season Two Historical Retrospective

Season two was a much bigger deal than the first season, but lacked the iconic "wow"! moments that made season one a classic. The challenges this season for me are honestly kind of a blur outside of the final one, so that'd be some deep cut research if anyone wants to try out some way back machining, haha. Bernstein and Austen were the first ones out and much like Rachel and Maul2 the season beforehand quickly faded into obscurity, never to be seen again. Perhaps in an alternate universe there's a player named "Bernstain" who's like a three time winner or something :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Elisocool returned from season one and finished in a similar position. Costafreak was also a returnee from season one who lasted in the middle of the pack. By far the most memorable new player this season was Disneylover4ever, who as a Brazilian became the game's first international player. Disneylover4ever was known for his spunky personality and his can-do attitude. While his projects were never the most detailed, his determined spirit got him all the way to the semi finals.

Basketbuddy also returned and hoped to claim the title after his shocking elimination in season one. The roadblock in his path to victory however, was Jagfkb. Jag's story this season was going from a judge in the first go-through to a stand-out power player this time around. Jag's winning project for the final prompt was by far the most memorable of the season..the Sleeping Beauty Musical. This would be another good one to look up for archive purposes if possible. What made this stand out was the professional level of detail and the great mix of the original ballet with the classic Disney film. Everything down to the timing of the music and the art direction was all accounted for, making for a project that set early standards for professionalism. In the end Jag became the second winner of the game, joining the ranks of Disneyfreak. Jag, along with season three's eventual winner and DisneyFreak, represent a trifecta of winners who have only played once and thus have a perfect score and a legacy behind them. Season two was far from the most memorable season, but the Sleeping Beauty musical was definitely a push into more highly detailed and polished projects to come. Unfortunately what to come was the biggest trainwreck of a season the game has ever seen. The next write up should be interesting ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
I have a proposition im on my phone at a family event but Tiki had asked me to just propose my idea so ill keep it brief

Basically in order to start the game I'd be willing to move to team China. While originally joining for Team Tokyo, to ease Tikis mind of evening out the teams ill move. In turn, Red who really only joined because i asked her to lol, has a ton of class and work this summer upcoming and would not mind dropping. In addition mickeyfan discussed interest in team Tokyo so if we ended up swapping, and Red dropped, that would put us at 5 on 5 to start, and basically allow tiki and Ace to just start the game to get things rolling this July 4th weekend, instead of waiting.

I mentioned to Tiki that he is not doing anything wrong. It's a combination of many people playing Season 16 and SA back to back and wanting a break. Coupled with the average age of the contestants getting older...which means summer is no longer free, compounded with 5 sywtbai seasons in the span of 2 years. It's a combination, not anything specific to this season, and something to learn from going forward

If we went ahead with this I think it'd be best for everyone

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I have a proposition im on my phone at a family event but Tiki had asked me to just propose my idea so ill keep it brief

Basically in order to start the game I'd be willing to move to team China. While originally joining for Team Tokyo, to ease Tikis mind of evening out the teams ill move. In turn, Red who really only joined because i asked her to lol, has a ton of class and work this summer upcoming and would not mind dropping. In addition mickeyfan discussed interest in team Tokyo so if we ended up swapping, and Red dropped, that would put us at 5 on 5 to start, and basically allow tiki and Ace to just start the game to get things rolling this July 4th weekend, instead of waiting.

I mentioned to Tiki that he is not doing anything wrong. It's a combination of many people playing Season 16 and SA back to back and wanting a break. Coupled with the average age of the contestants getting older...which means summer is no longer free, compounded with 5 sywtbai seasons in the span of 2 years. It's a combination, not anything specific to this season, and something to learn from going forward

If we went ahead with this I think it'd be best for everyone

Yes, I've been talking with several people throughout the day about the best options moving forward and this seems like the best plan going forward for everyone. We'd have an even number of people on both teams and at the very least be in the double digits. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to officially post the first project, but as it stands now we'll move forward with the ten person cast.

Final cast roster.

Team China
1. @FireMountain
2. @DSquared
3. @Snoopy
4. @Magic Feather
5. @spacemt354

Team Tokyo
1. @Pionmycake
2. @DisneyFan18
3. @D Hindley
4. @mickeyfan5534
5. @DisneyManOne

Because of the reduced number of players, the first project as well as at least one other project going forward will be non elimination. This is going to be an interesting twist in doing a "boutique" season of the game. We haven't had this small of a cast since Season Six, but that ended up being one of my all time favorite seasons so with any luck we'll be able to strike gold here as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom