Backside of FoP/Navi Show Building

TabulaRasa

Original Poster
Does the backside of Pandora bother anyone else? The show building is such an eyesore as you approach Disney's Animal Kingdom. Are there any plans to add more greenery or at the very least, paint the exposed show building? Has anyone heard anything?

Goofyernmost

Does the backside of Pandora bother anyone else? The show building is such an eyesore as you approach Disney's Animal Kingdom. Are there any plans to add more greenery or at the very least, paint the exposed show building? Has anyone heard anything?
Without pictures it didn't happen.

matt9112

No, I really could not care less what the back side of show buildings look like from the parking lot.

i dont like to nit pick theme parks for this because to a point its almost unavoidable BUT the location in this particular case is IMHO egregious. i mean Everest has a giant box of untheming on the back but we dont see it so who cares. some will point out the many inside park flaws as being worse but a reguar guest might never notice the FJ building or the fact that in MK i can see other lands from ride x. However every guest will notice this :)

Marc Davis Fan

As @MisterPenguin mentioned in response to my bringing this up a while back, the trees/plants will grow in a lot on the new berm, which should help at least somewhat. I believe it will still be visible from across those fenced-in retention ponds that the busses pass on the way to the bus shelters.

I agree that right now it's a very problematic "opening moment" to a day at WDW's most beautiful (IMHO, of course) theme park. And I don't think it's trivial. The Magic Kingdom, for example, was designed so that the spires of Cinderella Castle would be visible from across the Seven Seas Lagoon, thus being your first glimpse of the park, and a powerful "opening statement."

GlacierGlacier

The trees and plants that were put in place before opening now scale about halfway up the structure. I have no doubt that in a few years time it will be adequately obscured.

In Florida, we have the gift of shrubbery and big trees. Disneyland does not have that on the same scale. We know that trees will cover FoP/NRJ in time. The same cannot be said for the green ruffles IJA building.

Biff215

It is a shame that Everest and Pandora are visible from the drive in and parking lot. Before them, the only thing you could really catch a glimpse of was the very top leaves of the ToL. It was almost like there was no theme park there, which IMO was perfect for AK.

Now I love how the park has grown and wouldn’t trade those lands/attractions for the entry, but it also has a lot to do with the Osceola Parkway being so elevated on the approach too. I notice it far less on the walk in.

USofA scott

While we are at it, why is FOP building bad but Soarin', Rockin' Rollercoaster, GOG, MILLINIUM falcon, Battle Escape, and on and on so wrong?

kap91

The trees and plants that were put in place before opening now scale about halfway up the structure. I have no doubt that in a few years time it will be adequately obscured.

In Florida, we have the gift of shrubbery and big trees. Disneyland does not have that on the same scale. We know that trees will cover FoP/NRJ in time. The same cannot be said for the green ruffles IJA building.
Trees get way bigger and fuller in California than Florida. Practically the only reason Disneyland’s theming works. They just didn’t have room to plant them in front of Indy lol.

s8film40

The building doesn’t bother me as much as all the little mountains on sticks you see on top of the building. I mean it’s a pretty lame effect to begin with, but to ruin the illusion before you even enter the park to me comes off as very amateurish.

I’m not a fan of Avatar the movie or the Pandora land so it doesn’t really bother me at all. I just kind of cringe and feel embarrassed for the people who designed this stuff, especially being built by a company that used to be known as a leader in theming and showmanship.

TabulaRasa

Original Poster
While we are at it, why is FOP building bad but Soarin', Rockin' Rollercoaster, GOG, MILLINIUM falcon, Battle Escape, and on and on so wrong?
I think this bothers me more because it impacts the 'opening moment' for the park. The rest are not directly visible when approaching the park from the main entrance - obviously this is going to change with Guardians for Epcot.

It's funny that some people view this as nitpicking. DAK is a beautiful theme park, and this exposed building, facing the entrance, is in stark contrast to the rest of the park.

Timothy_Q

I've thought this several times. This, and the various cast members in different costumes crossing the street from the parking lot, seem so bizarre compared to the other theme parks.
Still a lot better than seeing cast members in the mcdonalds across the street from Disneyland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom