Huge Volcano Bay ticket price increase.

seascape

Original Poster
I am shocked that no one else posted this or that no one is upset. Universal just raised their Volcano Bay ticket prices 23% and are now $20.00 higher than any other water park in Orlando. Shocking. Is it a RIP off to the paying public? No, but if Dinsey did that it would be all over the boards as the biggest rip off ever. It is not a RIP off because by raising the price so much the crowds should be reduced and hopefully the park will be more enjoyable for those going.

JT3000

Such a price hike will be disagreeable to many, but I guess it's technically not overpriced if people still pay. One could assume the goal of this price hike is to thin the herds, but Universal doesn't want to lose too many potential guests, so it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Of course, the more responsible action would be to add capacity. Where's that expansion that was supposed to happen a long time ago?

seascape

Original Poster
That's what you do when your park is hitting capacity too often. You price out the local day guests so your on site/vacation package people can actually go.
I am glad to see you understand that both Disney and Universal need to price out some people so those who can afford to go can enjoy their time. It is simple economics and they only way to do it in a fair manner. I am sure both companies will continue to increase their ticket prices and find a way to further restrict season passes for the locals
After all you said it both companies want their guests staying onsite spending more money in ar ll aspects of their vacations in their businesses.

raven

Such a price hike will be disagreeable to many, but I guess it's technically not overpriced if people still pay. One could assume the goal of this price hike is to thin the herds, but Universal doesn't want to lose too many potential guests, so it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Of course, the more responsible action would be to add capacity. Where's that expansion that was supposed to happen a long time ago?
Well the park only opened a year ago.

And many companies do this so it isn’t something new. Disney prices go up and down with the seasons now. Plus a Universal park-to-park Pass INCLUDES Volcano Bay. That’s an entirely different add-on for a Disney pass.

BubbaQuest

Definitely shocking to see an $80/day ticket price for Volcano Bay. But at the same time, not surprising. Uni has always positioned this park as a third gate to promote extended Uni Resort stays, not as a standalone waterpark. While it sucks they closed down Wet-n-Wild to make this happen, pricing out people looking for more affordable alternatives, I don't see it any different than Disney charging $100+/day for DHS or AK (pre Avatar).

It will be interesting to see if they can maintain this price. Uni Hollywood clearly overpriced their annual passes when Potter opened and then spent months re-adjusting. However, with Uni Orlando adding so many hotel rooms, Volcano Bay could become the new "Be Our Guest" reservation perk for Uni. You'll only get in if you stay on property and/or buy an extended stay ticket.

note2001

Let's call a banana a banana. It's a water park, not a third gate and no matter how hard they try to market it as such, it still peels the same way.

The increased cost to go swim and play is not going to factor into most trips. Disney can boost their water park admissions too and it won't get so much as a blink from those going for the 4 theme parks.

Last edited:

UCF

Maybe I should have gotten the 3 park annual pass? LOL.

Too bad Universal is going to go that route but they can't seem to handle the crowd so up goes the prices to lower the crowds. Universal is trying to get a longer staying vacationer and if they are locked out of the water park that would be a problem.

All I have to say is with all these new rooms and more to come, Universal needs to be building new attractions and expanding old ones not worrying about what the new land will do sometime in in the future.
They don't have room for the capacity they need with the growth their experiencing. They either need to up prices to slow growth, or get the new park open ASAP. It appears they're going mostly with option B. Dirt is already moving for the new park already, its not that far off, Universal builds fast.

Musicman20

It's a fantastic water park. I doubt the prices will be 'noticed' so easily for those buying multi-park passes like myself when I visit once a year or so. But yes, I can see that it is frustrating to those wanting to go for a day out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom