The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Jahona

Wow. I think it’s safe to say loot boxes as we knew them are dead and buried. Not even good guy Blizzard is safe. And prison time? Yeeeesh.

If companies keep insisting on microtransactions I can only see it being like the overhauled BFII where you get free loot boxes but can also pay directly for exactly what you want. Still scummy though not in a way that breaks the law.

Just pull the game from Belgium. Problem solved until a bigger more meaningful country makes the same ruling. As for jail time that's an empty threat. Most companies are based in the US and I doubt the US would extradite a citizen for this.

erasure fan1

So who has jumped on the fortnite battle royal craze? While it can be fun, if not for it being free to play, I can't see it being this popular. Granted I'm so far behind because of just starting a couple weeks ago but I see very little light at the end of the tunnel. So much seems to be luck of the draw and the other part is building skill. I don't have the time to play a ton, and since there isn't a mode to practice you dont get too far trying to build and getting one shot and killed. Lol So does anyone wlse have any experiences?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So who has jumped on the fortnite battle royal craze? While it can be fun, if not for it being free to play, I can't see it being this popular. Granted I'm so far behind because of just starting a couple weeks ago but I see very little light at the end of the tunnel. So much seems to be luck of the draw and the other part is building skill. I don't have the time to play a ton, and since there isn't a mode to practice you dont get too far trying to build and getting one shot and killed. Lol So does anyone wlse have any experiences?
I don't mind watching the guys from Achievement Hunter play it, but I have zero desire to get into it as I would pretty much have to go in solo.

erasure fan1

I don't mind watching the guys from Achievement Hunter play it, but I have zero desire to get into it as I would pretty much have to go in solo.
I pretty much only play squads. I in no way have a legitimate shot at winning solo but I have won squads twice. I've givin it a good few weeks and I'm pretty close to thinking the game is just a terrible mismatched mess. I guess if they work out the nonsense it could be alright.

Mike S

Original Poster
My cousin is really into it. I’m obviously waiting to see if a Switch version is in the works which isn’t far fetched considering the game is on phones and Nintendo’s current relationship with Epic. Of course it’ll need to have cross play with Xbox which also isn’t far fetched considering there’s a few games that already do this.

erasure fan1

So, anyone watch any of the e3 conferences? So far its been ea, Microsoft and Bethesda. I watched all 3 and I'm not super impressed with ea or bethesda. I liked the straight focus on games from Microsoft and none of the entertainment media stuff. I loved what I saw from Ori 2, the first was AMAZING and this looks to continue that. I was really hoping for a fable announcement or at least a couple new IPs we've never seen or heard about. Its good they locked up 5 new studios.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So, anyone watch any of the e3 conferences? So far its been ea, Microsoft and Bethesda. I watched all 3 and I'm not super impressed with ea or bethesda. I liked the straight focus on games from Microsoft and none of the entertainment media stuff. I loved what I saw from Ori 2, the first was AMAZING and this looks to continue that. I was really hoping for a fable announcement or at least a couple new IPs we've never seen or heard about. Its good they locked up 5 new studios.
I still have to catch up today or tomorrow, but it is nice to hear that MS has learned from their mistakes.

People buying game consoles want to hear about games and not much else.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I was waiting for Bethesda to release more info about Fallout 76. Fallout is my favorite game of all time, I keep playing it an find something new each time. I'm not really into coop games like Destiny, its just not my thing.

Its a online survival game, where its possible that other people can gang up other players to kill them and destroy what they built up.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
There was a lot I liked in the MS conference, Bethesda I was asleep as it was silly o'clock in the UK and EA didn't really give us much that we didn't already know.

CaptainAmerica

Smart money says that Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI won't be out until next console generation.

I still can't fathom why BioWare isn't building KOTOR 3 yet.

Wow. I think it’s safe to say loot boxes as we knew them are dead and buried. Not even good guy Blizzard is safe. And prison time? Yeeeesh.

If companies keep insisting on microtransactions I can only see it being like the overhauled BFII where you get free loot boxes but can also pay directly for exactly what you want. Still scummy though not in a way that breaks the law.

Such a stupid ruling. Overwatch's loot boxes are exactly the appropriate model. Let people spend money on 100% optional, cosmetic-only items. In return, players get continued support in the form of new heroes, more maps, and constant balance fixes for years after launch.

Mike S

Original Poster
Smart money says that Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI won't be out until next console generation.

I still can't fathom why BioWare isn't building KOTOR 3 yet.
Everyone is thinking your first point.

To the other one it’s all hands on deck for Anthem. Insiders say they need this to be success or BioWare might go the way of so many other EA acquired studios.

Mike S

Original Poster
They are already on thin ice with Disney after the whole BF2 debacle with Disney stepping in and telling them to get that stuff away from their IP, they fumble even slightly and they will be done.
I find it so funny how Disney thought the backlash from BFII would be so damaging to the brand and then went ahead with Last Jedi lol

Mike S

Original Poster
Last Jedi you mean the film that all the so called fans didn't get what they were expecting so have been on a massive waaah fest ever since.
Where there’s smoke there’s fire. Maybe a lot of people genuinely didn’t like it and wanted better.

The fans were mad so they didn’t go see Solo en masse. Last I checked, Solo bombed.

The overall message of 2017 for EA and Disney? Don’t p*ss off Star Wars fans.

Last edited:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
To be quite honest I haven't cared about E3 at all because I've been waiting for the Nintendo conference.

Though there have been some great announcements for the Switch I've seen from the preceding days!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom