WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

Blairnicol

See attached

Attachments

• IMG_2714.PNG
    IMG_2714.PNG
    448.2 KB · Views: 223

BamaBelle19

I just spent an entire night reading through this thread. Trying to come up with 2 ideas for 2 different (adult) cakes. One will likely come from the Contemporary and one from the Yacht and Beach Club Bakery. Anyone have any experience with these lately? Are you able to do an almond cake at the Yacht Club bakery? Or are they the basic flavors?

Opinions on the whipped cream topping? We love the whipped cream topping at Target for a less sweet icing so I was thinking this might be good for one of the two cakes so we aren't overloaded on buttercream during the whole trip (another reason why I wanted to try almond cake too so it's not like the same cake all over again). I really want to try one of the fillings but might wait for another time to "try" something since these are for birthdays and I want to be sure the people like them.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I just spent an entire night reading through this thread. Trying to come up with 2 ideas for 2 different (adult) cakes. One will likely come from the Contemporary and one from the Yacht and Beach Club Bakery. Anyone have any experience with these lately? Are you able to do an almond cake at the Yacht Club bakery? Or are they the basic flavors?

Opinions on the whipped cream topping? We love the whipped cream topping at Target for a less sweet icing so I was thinking this might be good for one of the two cakes so we aren't overloaded on buttercream during the whole trip (another reason why I wanted to try almond cake too so it's not like the same cake all over again). I really want to try one of the fillings but might wait for another time to "try" something since these are for birthdays and I want to be sure the people like them.

It's been several years since I've ordered from the Contemporary bakery and I ended up canceling my plans the one time I tried working the YC/BC bakery. The contemporary is often pretty good about doing more cake flavors, but I'm not sure what you'll run into with YC/BC. The best you can do is call YC/BC's number and ask. I have at least heard good things about the almond cake. I've always wanted to try it, but my older daughter has a tree nut allergy and my husband just doesn't like nuts. Also, if you call far enough out, they may work with you on flavor if they've got a little extra time in the process...and I found YC/BC likes extra time.

I'm probably not a good one to ask about the whipped cream as I've never been a fan. It's to the point that I will likely pass on the cake if it has whipped cream. It's not very common for people to get it with their WDW cakes either, so I haven't heard any real reviews on it. That's not to say it isn't good...it just seems that buttercream and fondant are king.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We got back from WDW just before Christmas and I wanted to share our cake.

It was a 6" red velvet cake with cream cheese filling. It was our first time doing buttercream (well, minus some of the decorating details).

27498521409_d39f96e444_c.jpg

39245466472_411f487791_c.jpg

As you can see below, it's a red velvet cake and the filling is cream cheese.

39245465732_49a4322cbc_c.jpg

The Mickey head is white chocolate, and while it's not solid chocolate, it's A LOT of chocolate.

39308113712_f0ff544f0e_c.jpg

I have mixed feelings on the cake. I had asked for the lights to be a "string of lights" and when I put in the order with Pat at the GF bakery, she noted they would decorate the tree portion of the cake with little decorations they keep for the GF's gingerbread house. It sounded a little busy to me, but I really liked the idea that we'd be getting some of the gingerbread house decor. I was also hoping they'd use the tip often used for fur to make it look like pine needles (I noted this in my call and we've seen Muppet, Monsters, and Chewbacca cakes piped with it).

All that being said, it was a gorgeous cake. It's not exactly what I wanted nor is it quite what we discussed, but I still really like it.

As for the cake itself, I wanted the red and white to tie the Christmas theme right into the colors of the cake...which was a success. Most everyone felt the cake tasted really good...except me and David. We're not big red velvet people, so yes, I knowingly ordered something that's not a fave. On the flipside, buttercream was a nice change of pace for us. I do love fondant, but this buttercream was so rich and dense. The kids also enjoyed turning green. I even wound up with a green thumb after trying to separate the ears from the cake.

39245463882_584a0e7c23_c.jpg

My parents were at least able to take home all of the leftovers, so nothing went to waste.

The cake was a 6", ordered from the GF bakery and delivered to 'Ohana. Quoted price was $97 and actual price was $101 (and some change).

BamaBelle19

Does anyone have a picture of what the Amaretto Crunch Mousse looks like in a cake? Also can anyone describe it better? Similar tastes? Overly sweet? etc...

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Does anyone have a picture of what the Amaretto Crunch Mousse looks like in a cake? Also can anyone describe it better? Similar tastes? Overly sweet? etc...

I personally don't. You might try doing a search on the DisBoards' Cake Chatter thread. I know I've seen a few people have luck in ordering it, and I think some people have posted pictures. I know people have said it's good.

CarlaM

Hi all! I finally have gotten the time to sit down and talk about my cake ordering experience from October 2017. I posted a while back about ordering the three tier Star Wars themed cake. Being that my ds was three going on four he changed his mind and I wish he hadn’t. My ds decided he wanted a Cars 3 themed cake. It was the most underwhelming cake I have purchased thus far. I had the cake at H&V at HS. The cake was $190 and I’m still trying to figure out why. I don’t know who changed the ordering system back to just the phone but they should go back to email where you can show them what you’re interested in because for people the work at Disney their imagination fell flat. Luckily my son was just happy with it being a cars themed cake but I wasn’t excited about the cake at all. I expressed to the the gentleman on the phone that I wanted a fondant Cars themed cake with Lightning McQueen and Jackson Storm (fondant) sitting on top of the cake, vanilla cake and white chocolate mousse . I probably should’ve know this was going to fall flat with how low the price was but I said maybe I’m getting a really good deal like last year when my cake was priced under the quote. If I would’ve known this is how the cake was going to come out I would’ve brought some figures to go on top. I hope things will be better this year with cake ordering system.
E27DBF86-1C71-482A-ACA2-F0AB38F67229.jpeg

jaklgreen

Hi all! I finally have gotten the time to sit down and talk about my cake ordering experience from October 2017. I posted a while back about ordering the three tier Star Wars themed cake. Being that my ds was three going on four he changed his mind and I wish he hadn’t. My ds decided he wanted a Cars 3 themed cake. It was the most underwhelming cake I have purchased thus far. I had the cake at H&V at HS. The cake was $190 and I’m still trying to figure out why. I don’t know who changed the ordering system back to just the phone but they should go back to email where you can show them what you’re interested in because for people the work at Disney their imagination fell flat. Luckily my son was just happy with it being a cars themed cake but I wasn’t excited about the cake at all. I expressed to the the gentleman on the phone that I wanted a fondant Cars themed cake with Lightning McQueen and Jackson Storm (fondant) sitting on top of the cake, vanilla cake and white chocolate mousse . I probably should’ve know this was going to fall flat with how low the price was but I said maybe I’m getting a really good deal like last year when my cake was priced under the quote. If I would’ve known this is how the cake was going to come out I would’ve brought some figures to go on top. I hope things will be better this year with cake ordering system.
View attachment 255549
Did you say this cake was $190?!?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I sure did. You can see why I’m puzzled with the price.

I can't grasp how they came up with the cost for that cake. Please Please Please complain! I hate telling people to complain, but after our most recent trip, I'm so fed up with them (and in them, I mean Disney as a whole) thinking it's OK to charge ridiculous amounts for things they know aren't worth it. That isn't even a $100 cake. That's on par with the $45-55 buttercream cakes with screen prints...which would be $25 cakes in the real world. I know it's not a spot on apples to apples comparison, but please feel free to use my cake above or even hit the Cake Chatter on the Disboards for recent references on cake costs when you make your complaint. i.e. I paid $190 for this cake wreck when others paid far less for far better in the same time frame.

CarlaM

I can't grasp how they came up with the cost for that cake. Please Please Please complain! I hate telling people to complain, but after our most recent trip, I'm so fed up with them (and in them, I mean Disney as a whole) thinking it's OK to charge ridiculous amounts for things they know aren't worth it. That isn't even a $100 cake. That's on par with the $45-55 buttercream cakes with screen prints...which would be $25 cakes in the real world. I know it's not a spot on apples to apples comparison, but please feel free to use my cake above or even hit the Cake Chatter on the Disboards for recent references on cake costs when you make your complaint. i.e. I paid $190 for this cake wreck when others paid far less for far better in the same time frame.

Seeing that I’m not the only one that thought the price for that cake was ridiculous I think I will go about making a complaint.

They really need to get it together. With as many cake orders for birthdays and celebrations they get, they should have this covered. They are seriously dropping the ball. I hope others have better experiences this year and they have a better ordering system before we head back or I will not be ordering with Disney again.

DisneyDizzy18

I want to order two custom cakes for my family celebrating 2 bdays. I was thinking of having them delivered to Trattoria al Forno. I would love to do a more creative fondant cake half Ariel half Rapunzel themed. I have seen a lot of great cakes from Pat at GF but no recent Boardwalk examples. Any suggestions/thoughts??design ideas welcome!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I want to order two custom cakes for my family celebrating 2 bdays. I was thinking of having them delivered to Trattoria al Forno. I would love to do a more creative fondant cake half Ariel half Rapunzel themed. I have seen a lot of great cakes from Pat at GF but no recent Boardwalk examples. Any suggestions/thoughts??design ideas welcome!

In all fairness, I haven't been posting much in the way of new stuff on here of late...but I know cakes have been showing up on Disboards on the Cake Chatter, so I've seen a number of great BW Bakery cakes. If it were me, I'd lean towards the dual princess cake approach.

We saw this one a few years ago that was Belle on one side and Snow White on the other...

8626756780_f47808251c_z.jpg

8625654241_a8a818f679_z.jpg

I would assume they could do something similar for Ariel and Rapunzel.

DisneyDizzy18

• In all fairness, I haven't been posting much in the way of new stuff on here of late...but I know cakes have been showing up on Disboards on the Cake Chatter, so I've seen a number of great BW Bakery cakes. If it were me, I'd lean towards the dual princess cake approach.

We saw this one a few years ago that was Belle on one side and Snow White on the other...

In all fairness, I haven't been posting much in the way of new stuff on here of late...but I know cakes have been showing up on Disboards on the Cake Chatter, so I've seen a number of great BW Bakery cakes. If it were me, I'd lean towards the dual princess cake approach.

Thanks for th suggestion and quick reply - I was thinking more half ocean half lanterns...not sure the dress is the thing - but glad to see a boardwalk option - just seemed like most of the nicest cakes were GF or Contemporary from recent posts.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

• Thanks for th suggestion and quick reply - I was thinking more half ocean half lanterns...not sure the dress is the thing - but glad to see a boardwalk option - just seemed like most of the nicest cakes were GF or Contemporary from recent posts.

You can always ask them and see what they can do. Technically, they are not supposed to combine characters or themes on a cake that aren't part of the same universe/movie/story-line. Still, we know they'll combine princesses in physical representation on cakes and in this case above, they did it with dresses instead of princesses. So, if the can do dresses, why not ocean and lanterns?

Ultimately, if you are going more conceptual representations of the movies...on the Ariel side, you could have scales (like from her tail) fading into the water. On the Rapunzel side, you could use the sun in sort of a sunset setting fading into a night sky full of lanterns. Again...just thoughts and I'm sure there are a ton of other options if they agree.

As for BW Bakery, I really wouldn't worry. GF and Contemporary do get a lot of cake orders, but you have to remember that BW Bakery is one of the Disney bakeries that handles wedding cakes, so they are pretty solid with doing all kinds of cake orders. They also handle cake orders for a bunch of resorts beyond BW (all of the All Stars, Pop, SSR, OKW, POR, POFQ, CBR). I suspect you see more cakes out of the Contemporary and GF because more people tend to book special meals at the monorail resorts. Not saying you can't have a special meal at one of the Epcot resorts, but Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana and California Grill seem to be preferred celebration spots for all visitors. YC and BC have their own bakery, so you're really looking strictly at BW situated restaurants to see their cakes show up for a special meal and not as many people pick those for celebrations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom