How paid parking affects DVC members

FrostyNaples

Great. Thanks for providing confirmation.

We went early April SSR on points. No parking fee, however, we were not asked at any point, gate or otherwise about overnight parking. So I'm not sure how they are even implementing this program. We had no parking pass, and as far as I'm aware no plate info has been put on file with Disney, which seems to me the only way to track this other than a parking pass which we haven't seen in over a year of visits.

nickys

Premium Member
We went early April SSR on points. No parking fee, however, we were not asked at any point, gate or otherwise about overnight parking. So I'm not sure how they are even implementing this program. We had no parking pass, and as far as I'm aware no plate info has been put on file with Disney, which seems to me the only way to track this other than a parking pass which we haven't seen in over a year of visits.

Well as you went on points, they know it's a points stay, therefore no fee. It doesn't matter whether or not you have a car.

If someone has a cash reservation, then they would presumably check if you have a car.

So at DVC resorts it's easy to "police" it.

FrostyNaples

Well as you went on points, they know it's a points stay, therefore no fee. It doesn't matter whether or not you have a car.

If someone has a cash reservation, then they would presumably check if you have a car.

So at DVC resorts it's easy to "police" it.

Well that doesn't explain anything.

The gate attendant took my ID, looked at it, waived me in.

They have no idea without referencing a reservation how I paid, points, cash or pixie dust...

I'd like to know what they are actually doing via someone who has experienced it. To us, felt like nothing had changed and they were not doing any thing about the new parking policy.

nickys

Premium Member
Well that doesn't explain anything.

The gate attendant took my ID, looked at it, waived me in.

They have no idea without referencing a reservation how I paid, points, cash or pixie dust...

I'd like to know what they are actually doing via someone who has experienced it. To us, felt like nothing had changed and they were not doing any thing about the new parking policy.

The parking fee has to be added to your reservation. The only people they have to check on are those who are not booked on points. Those will be around 3-4% of bookings at DVC resorts. It's easy enough to establish with those guests whether or not they have a car, without having to police it at the actual gate. It doesn't need anything like the level of control that other Disney resorts require. That was my point.

FrostyNaples

It's easy enough to establish with those guests whether or not they have a car, without having to police it at the actual gate.

How are they doing this, that is my point...

With online check in - you never hit the front desk. Who is asking who if they have parked a car, and when how is it asked.

And only 3-4% of guests staying at a DVC resort paid cash? I'm not a gambling man, but I'd wager this is not fact.

nickys

Premium Member
How are they doing this, that is my point...

With online check in - you never hit the front desk. Who is asking who if they have parked a car, and when how is it asked.

And only 3-4% of guests staying at a DVC resort paid cash? I'm not a gambling man, but I'd wager this is not fact.

I've been trying to find out about that percentage. My figure was based on the percentage that Disney actually own at a sold out resort, which is 2-3% by law.

In addition to that, when a member trades their points for a stay elsewhere, like Adventures by Disney, cruises or non-DVC Disney resorts, the points are transferred to Disney to use. Those are the points available that Disney can use to take cash reservations. But those options are a notoriously bad use of points, so many owners will rent out points and pay cash instead.

Also, any villa not booked by 60 days out can be transferred to CRO for cash bookings.

Since DVC operates at around 95% occupant you year round, I would think the added percentage of rooms from unused points wouldn't be more than maybe 4%. Meaning the total might be nearer 7%, but certainly well under 10%.

The vast majority of guests will be either members or people who rented points to stay there. Not cash reservations.

As to how, with that small number it shouldn't be hard. Exactly how remains to be seen. But since they have contact details, it could be simply a text or email, asking if you have a car - if you haven't checked in in person or visited the front desk. At some point, someone may post somewhere about it. But other than UK guests who stay at OKW or SSR, who are exempt from the parking fees anyway, I don't see a lot of people who pay cash to stay at DVC resorts posting on forums.

slappy magoo

Sorry for yet another parking question, but...
DVC members don't pay to park when staying at a DVC resort, regardless of whether they're using their points or cash...
But what about a deluxe resort with a DVC section, if you're not staying in the DVC section? You're staying in Contemporary as opposed to Bay Lake, or the non DVC rooms at Wilderness or Animal Kingdom Lodge?

JaxFLBear

Sorry for yet another parking question, but...
DVC members don't pay to park when staying at a DVC resort, regardless of whether they're using their points or cash...
But what about a deluxe resort with a DVC section, if you're not staying in the DVC section? You're staying in Contemporary as opposed to Bay Lake, or the non DVC rooms at Wilderness or Animal Kingdom Lodge?
If you used points for the non DVC Resort reservation, parking will be free. Otherwise, you will have to pay the daily parking fee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom