Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

GlacierGlacier

Close the Jungle Cruise
Let me stop you right there.

An opening day attraction that somehow still doesn't feel tired, still has ridiculous draw, and is essentially iconic to the castle parks should not be on anyone's list for removal.

Again, this is WDW. Space is their specialty. If they really wanted to copy DL they could plop IJA adjacent to JC, but something tells me that TWDC isn't interested in that right now.

rioriz

Maybe its desensitization but at this point, how much a land/attraction cost is irrelevant to me. TWDC has plenty to play with and if they wanna send it down to the "little" men in excess so be it.

In the end it doesnt matter how much to me but the execution.

I for one also hope they pay up when it comes to the merger or the complicated just got even more complicated

MerlinTheGoat

Close the Jungle Cruise and build Indy on that plot of land.
No.

Adventureland has substantial room to grow. A few years ago I made a topic asking about all the potential areas of expansion Magic Kingdom still has available. Martin helped to clarify this for me, it has a LOT to work with still. Adventureland in particular has a large plot of land to the southwest of the POTC show building. According to Martin, it is a designated expansion area that has been considered for use in the past. Particularly for the old Fire Mountain concept.

BYCmT18.png

A little bit of work would need to be made to actually get to that land. And possibly some road rerouting or circumventing in some manner. But it looks like a walkway between POTC and Jungle Cruise would be doable. We know this land was considered for use in the past anyways, so they probably also considered how guests would get to this area as well.

Incidentally, with the exception of the two red spaces directly north of Fantasyland, all of the areas in red are official designated expansion plots.

FigmentJedi

No.

Adventureland has substantial room to grow. A few years ago I made a topic asking about all the potential areas of expansion Magic Kingdom still has available. Martin helped to clarify this for me, it has a LOT to work with still. Adventureland in particular has a large plot of land to the southwest of the POTC show building. According to Martin, it is a designated expansion area that has been considered for use in the past. Particularly for the old Fire Mountain concept.

BYCmT18.png

A little bit of work would need to be made to actually get to that land. And possibly some road rerouting or circumventing in some manner. But it looks like a walkway between POTC and Jungle Cruise would be doable. We know this land was considered for use in the past anyways, so they probably also considered how guests would get to this area as well.

Incidentally, with the exception of the two red spaces directly north of Fantasyland, all of the areas in red are official designated expansion plots.
Fire Mountain plans already showed how you can get guests to the expansion plot.
tumblr_osy12nDcrR1sa3t1go5_1280.png

Kman101

Maybe its desensitization but at this point, how much a land/attraction cost is irrelevant to me. TWDC has plenty to play with and if they wanna send it down to the "little" men in excess so be it.

In the end it doesnt matter how much to me but the execution.

I for one also hope they pay up when it comes to the merger or the complicated just got even more complicated

Agreed. All I care about is the execution. I don't care how much Uni spends vs. what Disney spends.

180º

It needs a soundtrack though!
I disagree! I’m a huge fan of scored attractions, but one of the things that makes DAK so unique and consistent is its sparing use of non-diegetic sound. For the uninitiated, non-diegetic sound is anything you hear in a movie that characters can’t hear, like an omniscient voiceover or dramatic score. I’ll try to list every use of it here, but I may miss some:

• Oasis gardens
• Tree of Life (gardens and awakenings)
• The last ten seconds of Dinosaur
• The last two minutes of Flight of Passage
• Windtraders
• Finding Nemo the Musical
• Rivers of Light

I don’t count ITTBAB or FOTLK since they, in their revue conceit, want us to believe that characters in the scene are providing the music. FNTM is iffy because characters sing, which seems to acknowledge the music, but there is some extra dramatic score. It’s more of a conventional musical.

Every other example of unseen music in Animal Kingdom appears to blend in as street music that you can imagine musicians are playing just around the corner (Discovery Island BGM), or else it’s music from a supposed radio (Africa and Dinoland). Both examples count as diegetic. DAK uses non-diegetic music sparingly and (With one or two exceptions) to powerful effect. This is another potential argument against Indy in DAK. How can you have an Indy attraction without its trademark pulpy wall-to-wall score?

Speaking of diegetic radio music, what ever happened to Hapa Duniani on Kilimanjaro Safaris? I always looked forward to that.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

While I can see a "Indy discovers ancient Dinosaurs" - I can't wrap my head around "Indy's high seas adventure".
Indy discovers dinosaurs = Indy gets into a secret cave hidden below a treasure hall filled with traps (in some tropical country like Cambodia), this cave leads to a sacred mega cave that still holds dinosaur alive and maintained (light, heat) by a special rock.
Bad guys and neonazis wants the rock to resurge the nazi regime... Indy saves the day.

Indy goes to the high seas = indy goes into a long travel fighting pirates and mercenaries to find the Atlantis.

But then, these plots have been used already. Atlantis = Dwayne's movie about Nemo. Dinosaurs = Ice Age (the third I think?)

cjkeating

I disagree! I’m a huge fan of scored attractions, but one of the things that makes DAK so unique and consistent is its sparing use of non-diegetic sound. For the uninitiated, non-diegetic sound is anything you hear in a movie that characters can’t hear, like an omniscient voiceover or dramatic score. I’ll try to list every use of it here, but I may miss some:

• Oasis gardens
• Tree of Life (gardens and awakenings)
• The last ten seconds of Dinosaur
• The last two minutes of Flight of Passage
• Windtraders
• Finding Nemo the Musical
• Rivers of Light

I don’t count ITTBAB or FOTLK since they, in their revue conceit, want us to believe that characters in the scene are providing the music. FNTM is iffy because characters sing, which seems to acknowledge the music, but there is some extra dramatic score. It’s more of a conventional musical.

Every other example of unseen music in Animal Kingdom appears to blend in as street music that you can imagine musicians are playing just around the corner (Discovery Island BGM), or else it’s music from a supposed radio (Africa and Dinoland). Both examples count as diegetic. DAK uses non-diegetic music sparingly and (With one or two exceptions) to powerful effect. This is another potential argument against Indy in DAK. How can you have an Indy attraction without its trademark pulpy wall-to-wall score?

Speaking of diegetic radio music, what ever happened to Hapa Duniani on Kilimanjaro Safaris? I always looked forward to that.

I couldn't agree more with this post. This is one of the many reasons why AK is such a well constructed park and why I am worried that less than well thought out additions would tarnish it.

I do wonder how far they will go with SWGE... I said to someone that I wouldn't expect to hear a score on either of the rides and they thought I was mad, but if you want immersion you don't get non-diegetic sound.

Jones14

I couldn't agree more with this post. This is one of the many reasons why AK is such a well constructed park and why I am worried that less than well thought out additions would tarnish it.

I do wonder how far they will go with SWGE... I said to someone that I wouldn't expect to hear a score on either of the rides and they thought I was mad, but if you want immersion you don't get non-diegetic sound.

I won't expect a score for Falcon, but I absolutely expect one for Battle Escape, at least during the 'escape' portion of the attraction. They've shown that they're willing to do both in the same land (River Journey has no non-diegetic sound, but Flight of Passage's score kicks in halfway through), and I think the latter actually benefits from the introduction of music.

Music is the best tool for establishing mood in a movie and in a park attraction, and taking it away creates a sense of emptiness. Flight of Passage works so well because it gives you a minute to take everything in, and then the music kicks in right as the action ramps up (flying down to the beach, I believe), which subtly signals to you that the meat of the attraction is about to begin.

To that end, the goal is to make you feel like you're in the middle of a Star Wars movie, not to place you in the middle of a Star Wars movie. That's an important distinction, because losing the non-diegetic sound would be more realistic (the characters obviously don't hear the Imperial March when they see Darth Vader), but keeping it in will contribute to that feeling in a way that empty space could not, particularly because every single battle in Star Wars uses (and is therefore associated with) at least one of the scores' primary themes.

180º

Totally. Although I think Star Wars is so hedonically connected to its music that it would be unsatisfying not to hear it. If you ask me? Flight of Passage is a good example of how to balance hard realism with a minute of dramatic score at the end. The orchestra at the end of the ride feels very earned after an entirely music-less build up. I don’t think the show would feel complete without it. Dinosaur’s CTX theme playoff at the end of the ride, however, feels a little unnecessary.

Also, @Jones14 , I agree on all counts. Although I do expect the Falcon ride to have some musical cues.

cjkeating

Totally. Although I think Star Wars is so hedonically connected to its music that it would be unsatisfying not to hear it. If you ask me? Flight of Passage is a good example of how to balance hard realism with a minute of dramatic score at the end. The orchestra at the end of the ride feels very earned after an entirely music-less build up. I don’t think the show would feel complete without it. Dinosaur’s CTX theme playoff at the end of the ride, however, feels a little unnecessary.

Also, @Jones14 , I agree on all counts. Although I do expect the Falcon ride to have some musical cues.

I'd never noticed the Dinosaur theme at the end of the ride until you pointed it out and I've probably been on the ride at least 30 times!

DanielBB8

Indy discovers dinosaurs = Indy gets into a secret cave hidden below a treasure hall filled with traps (in some tropical country like Cambodia), this cave leads to a sacred mega cave that still holds dinosaur alive and maintained (light, heat) by a special rock.
Bad guys and neonazis wants the rock to resurge the nazi regime... Indy saves the day.

Indy goes to the high seas = indy goes into a long travel fighting pirates and mercenaries to find the Atlantis.

But then, these plots have been used already. Atlantis = Dwayne's movie about Nemo. Dinosaurs = Ice Age (the third I think?)
I can do you one better. Indy is at a legendary archeological dig site to retrieve the mythical native artifact when he came upon some dinosaur bones in the process. In trying to release the seal holding the artifact, he caused the spirits of the natives to be revived. These revived spirits called upon the dinosaurs for protection. Together, they tried to stop Indy. Did they succeed? Likely not. Their spirits evaporated upon the conclusion and the artifact safeguarded for another millennium, but Indy made off with something far more valuable.

Last edited:

matt9112

Agreed. All I care about is the execution. I don't care how much Uni spends vs. what Disney spends.

to a degree i agree however moneyis not infinite and the value HAS to matter. its the difference between two or three rides (few times now eh?) the mermaid is a grest example and look i love the que but is there value? nah not really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom