Trip Report **COMPLETED** The "Hey what's your name" and "I want to ride Home Depot" Trip Report

Hey all
We have been back for just about a day now so I figured why not start the Trip Report!
Also, I'm on call this week so its probably going to be a pretty sparse week sorry!

Who?
Also I am feeling lazy so I'm making abbreviations for mostly everyone
Left to right: My Dad (Jeff) - D, my nephew Max - no abbreviation, my sister Betta (her real name is Elizabeth) - B, my Mom (Mary) - M, Me! (Megan) - no abbreviation, my sister Jill - J and my brother-in law Nick - N
IMG_6938.JPG

When?
April 27, 2018 - May 5, 2018 (B and Max from April 29-May 5)

Where?
Port Orleans French Quarter :) Our favorite moderate

Why?
Celebrating my Mom's 5 year cancer free anniversary! (oh, and it was J and N's honeymoon - aka familymoon :joyfull: )

Day 1 April 27, 2018
2 am...2 am came very quickly this morning...especially since the NFL draft started the night before and I couldn't sleep until we made our first pick :joyfull:
Nonetheless, up I got and got ready to leave for the airport.
We got fancy with our dates sign this time :inlove:
DSC_8328.jpg

DSC_8330.jpg

DSC_8332.jpg

DSC_8334.jpg

We shoved all 5 *yes 5* suitcases into our car and soon enough we were at the airport after a short 15 minute drive (bonus...no traffic at 3 am).
We got to the Southwest counter just after it opened and the one worker was OBSESSED with our luggage. She literally told us if our luggage doesn't show up in Orlando it was because she stole it :joyfull: Our luggage is Minnie Mouse...J actually has the same luggage and the worker was trying to steal hers too and then realized we were all related!
TSA precheck wasn't even open so we went through regular security which was only a bummer because it meant I have to take out my computer and iPad which is annoying :cautious::hilarious:
I was wearing my Wishes shirt that N got me for Christmas!
DSC_8342.jpg

May you rest in peace Wishes :cry:
IMG_6526.JPG

There actually weren't any food places open yet so we sat around a bit waiting for J and N to arrive. J actually lost her kindle because she didnt take it out for security (so TSA did) and had to go grab it after an overhead page alerted her of such :joyfull:
After she grabbed it we all went to Tim Hortons but that wasn't open yet either..
Finally 4 am hit us and our usual bagel place opened so we headed there :)
DSC_8343.jpg

I didn't take any pictures apparently but we shared a few bagels and got some water.
Soon enough it was time to board our flight. We got in line and we were like A20-24 I think. There were quite a few people ahead of us but I didn't say anything even though I knew they were probably after us. Eventually a woman in front of me did ask what their numbers were and the woman responds "Group A..." as if the rest of us weren't A :joyfull:. She then said what does it matter if we are all A anyway. The only reason I bring this up is because when we got up to gate to scan our tickets the Southwest worker kicked them out of line and made them wait until it was their turn (they were numbers like 40-41 or something). My Mom turned to me and said "burnnnnn." :joyfull::joyfull:
DSC_8346.jpg

Next up: arriving in Florida

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Happy Mother's Day everyone!

Day 2 continued
After our tour we headed out of the park, but of course we had to get some pictures :)
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_411268408057.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_411268408069.JPG

We took a bus back to POFQ and decided to grab some lunch at the food court.
The food court was running at one speed: slow. So slow that my Dad actually ended up canceling his order and thankfully so because by the time we finished eating the FIRST person in his que got their food :eek:
It was fairly slow all week but this day was the worst! There was one CM per window which I think may have been the issue.
Anyway J and N ordered before us/started eating before us so I don't have pictures but J had pizza and N had shrimp and grits.
My Mom and I both had kid's Mac and cheese :hungry: sooooo yummy! We ate it pretty much everyday!
DSC_8644.jpg

My Dad ended up eating a turkey sandwich that was pre-made but he really enjoyed it!
DSC_8645.jpg

If you don't know by now my Mom loves cupcakes so of course she had to try one from POFQ!
DSC_8646.jpg

After lunch it was time for pool time!
file-19.jpg

file-20.jpg

IMG_6595.JPG

IMG_6596.JPG

Of course we have slide pictures...
DSCF2442.JPG

Next up: more pool time

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
DSCF2443.JPG

DSCF2444.JPG

DSCF2445.JPG

I totally missed my Mom....whoops! Usually she misses me :)
DSCF2447.JPG

Told you to get used to the number 1 symbol :hilarious:
DSCF2449.JPG

DSCF2451.JPG

I'm holding up a number 3 since I am child number 3 :joyfull:
DSCF2453.JPG

Anywho after pool time we got dressed and grabbed an Uber to take us back to AK. Our driver was the absolute worst. He got super lost because he missed a turn while talking (too much) and we ended up leaving property at some point. I really tried to contain myself and it was probably good that I was in the way back of the car otherwise I would have had difficulty keeping my mouth shut :joyfull: The worst part was he finished off the ride with bogus trivia and handing me a whole phamplet of maps (when all I really needed was to get out of the car to get to my dinner reservation on time) :banghead:
Oh well, at least we made it!
Oh I forgot I got to meet Br'er Rabbit .... it was super random!
DSC_8651.jpg

Worst Tree of Life picture ever - I was in a rush to get to dinner :)
DSC_8653.jpg

Next up: dinner!

blreinsel

THERE WERE SO MANY CHEERLEADERS (and their cheer moms).

In case the two of you were wondering... the cheerleaders are STILL HERE. :rolleyes: I typically don't mind them because I was also a cheerleader. But they are literally EVERYWHERE and are super annoying. Their moms aren't much better. But on a better note, I saw a little boy at Epcot yesterday whose shirt said "I'm just here for the cheerleaders." :hilarious:

The Caring for Giants tour looks amazing! Definitely need to add that to my Disney bucket list! :joyfull:

Gurt

I really want to do the caring for giants tour, on our trip next year we are taking both mums, so maybe I can talk Chris into doing it as a 'bit of alone time' thing, I also want to talk him into Ohana on our own but I am not sure how much he will want to be away from his mum, she has never been on holiday before.

PacNWTigger

So sorry about the "like" overload, but I'm finally caught up! Congrats to Mary for 5 years, and J & N for their honeymoon!

I've added Caring for Giants to my next must-do Disney list. The elephants are amazing!!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
In case the two of you were wondering... the cheerleaders are STILL HERE. :rolleyes: I typically don't mind them because I was also a cheerleader. But they are literally EVERYWHERE and are super annoying. Their moms aren't much better. But on a better note, I saw a little boy at Epcot yesterday whose shirt said "I'm just here for the cheerleaders." :hilarious:

The Caring for Giants tour looks amazing! Definitely need to add that to my Disney bucket list! :joyfull:

How the heck long is that competition? haha

Ohhhh, where is dinner? Why is Brer Rabbit at AK? Exciting though, that you saw him! Sorry about the lunchtime wait. What kind of cupcake was that? It looks delish!

Tiffins :) I have no idea why he was there! It was so odd! It was just a vanilla cupcake I think :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Br’er Rabbit in AK?! :jawdrop:

It was so odd!

Brer Fox was there one afternoon back in January too, hanging out with Meeko. Animal Characterpalooza maybe?

I saw both of them too ! I am not sure why they picked AK for Brer Fox and Rabbit though other than the fact that they are both animals would make more sense for them to be in MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I really want to do the caring for giants tour, on our trip next year we are taking both mums, so maybe I can talk Chris into doing it as a 'bit of alone time' thing, I also want to talk him into Ohana on our own but I am not sure how much he will want to be away from his mum, she has never been on holiday before.

That would be nice! At least the tour is only an hour too which is good :)

You (cough) can do something (cough) about that (cough)!!!

Max

:joyfull::joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Ok sorry this week has been crazy (and its only Wednesday :jawdrop:)
Day 2 continued
We checked in for dinner at....
IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6598.JPG

We were seated in the Safari room which was a first for us! Well, for my Mom and I anyway since no one else had ever been to Tiffins before. My pictures are bad...I was too lazy to actually get up and take pictures :joyfull:
DSC_8655.jpg

DSC_8656.jpg

DSC_8657.jpg

We were seated in a circular corner booth with barely anyone else in the room which was nice!
Our server's name was Robin and she was excellent!!! Very attentive and super knowledgable about the menu.
We started off with some drinks.
I went for the Silky Reds flight which was great! I am not usually a red wine person but something possessed me to order it and I am glad I did!
IMG_6600.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

My Mom had a Jenn's tattoo
DSC_8659.jpg

My Dad had TBBC Old Elephant Foot IPA
DSC_8660.jpg

Jill had Lamu Libation (I think? )
DSC_8661.jpg

Nick just had wine as well so I did not take a picture :)

Next up: food!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We were doing the Rivers of Light Dinining package because I really wanted everyone to try anything they wanted and not worry about the price (since this dinner was my treat - used my Disney Visa rewards!).
I will just save our thoughts on the food until the end so I am not constantly writing YUMMMM like I always do :joyfull:
So, for appetizers:
I ordered the Tiffin's Bread Service: Indian-spiced Tomato Chutney, Smoked Eggplant Dip, Apricot Chutney
DSC_8662.jpg

DSC_8664.jpg

N and D ordered the Charred Octopus. I did try some and I just remember it not tasting like much :joyfull: Not sure I get the obsession with that one but they both liked it!
DSC_8665.jpg

J got the Selection of Artisanal Cheeses
DSC_8666.jpg

And my Mom got the Apple Walnut Salad
DSC_8667.jpg

For entrees my Mom, Jill and I got the Snake River Farms Wagyu Eye of Rib-Eye
DSC_8668.jpg

DSC_8670.jpg

For some reason it was hard to get photos in there...
My Dad and Nick both got the Berbere Spice-rubbed Venison. N took the picture so sorry about the actual lack of meat in the picture :joyfull:
DSC_8671.jpg

For dessert N and I both ordered the Sorbet Tasting
DSC_8672.jpg

My Mom ordered the Whipped Cheesecake that we joked looks exactly like the one she had from the Deconstructed Dish Food at Festival of the Arts :)
DSC_8673.jpg

Next up: more Tiffins

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
My Dad got the Guava Mousse
DSC_8674.jpg

And Jill got the South American Chocolate Ganache
DSC_8676.jpg

On a side note the cheese plate is also on the dessert menu and I really wanted to order it since I love cheese so much but I was too full :joyfull:
Sorry...a lot of words below :)
Overall thoughts: we LOVED Tiffins (again!). The beef and venison were both so tender and delicious! All the appetizers were great and the desserts too. I was so nervous because I had been reading so many bad reviews lately but we had a fantastic meal and great service! I was most worried about N since he is a chef and very critical of food (although not in an obnoxious way...he never says anything to us about it unless he thinks its really bad and would never ever tell a restaurant such) but he loved it!
I was telling him about the portion size issue and how that is everyone biggest complaint with the restaurant. He said that the portions we got are the correct portions to serve of each meat but as we are Americans we are used to much larger portion sizes. He did say he thought the prices were fair (for Disney) for the quality of meat as well but did state that he would worry that they would close based on the fact that most people would not feel like they are getting their money's worth based on those portions and usual portion perception. I think for me I still feel like the entrees are very expensive but that is where the Dining Package makes sense to me because you essentially get an appetizer and dessert with the price of an entree. Anyway, we will definitely be back but I think in a few years just so we can try some new places !
After dinner we had a FP to get to so we headed to Pandora! It was J and N's time in Pandora so we wandered a bit before getting in line for Flight of Passage! I could only get a FP for the evening but that worked out well so we could just go after dinner!
IMG_6604.JPG

We had a long wait in this part of the que so we had to listen to Nick over and over again say he heard this ride was "immersive" :joyfull:
We finally got on the ride and I was a little nervous I talked up the ride too much and everyone was going to have too high of expectations. But, as we were riding I could hear Jill screaming and laughing and I knew I didn't talk it up too much :) Dad, Jill and Nick absolutely loved it and could not stop talking about it!!! I am so glad I didn't over sell it :) My Dad told my Mom we should get another FP for that later in the week and she told me she stared at him like are you kidding? :hilarious: Because they are so easy to get...
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_411276906602.JPG

We have no idea what is going on with N's face in this banshee picture - but you better believe we keep zooming in on it and pointing it out :joyfull:
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_411276905096.JPG

After Pandora we headed over to Rivers of Light!
DSC_8682.jpg

DSC_8683.jpg

We passed the time while playing Heads Up :) Soon enough the floats starting coming out!
DSC_8685.jpg

DSC_8687.jpg

DSC_8689.jpg

Next up : Rivers of Light!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom