Opinion: Toy Story Land's grand opening will be a disaster

Smiley/OCD

I agree with this, but more in the sense that I do not understand why someone would spend SO MUCH MONEY on a trip to WDW before a child turns say, 6. Chances are the kid probably won't remember this (we lose most of our memories at 7, and cannot actually form memories until we are about 3 years old) so why not just wait until your child is old enough to remember & old enough to not need babying?
Now you know why there are sooooo many strollers these days

DisneyDoctor

I don't understand why some people aren't excited for this. So many people were upset with Disney for the lack of new development, and they complained of a growing staleness in the parks (which I totally agree with). But, after so many years of latency, we are FINALLY receiving new lands and attractions! Honestly, anything is welcomed at this point. I don't feel like arguing, so if you're one of the people not excited for the land, please don't take this personally.

Smiley/OCD

You know, there will be MANY threads with opinions when SWL opens stating their reasons why it is sub-par...I love it...people bellyache when there's nothing new and exciting...then they bellyache when the new attraction is announced...then they bellyache when it's built, but not opened yet...I'm not a SW fan...haven't seen ANY of the movies...from what I have seen for SWL and TSL, I think the theming looks great and can't wait to get there in 2020 to see it up close. The same with the Tron coaster in MK, the GOTG ride at Epcot...the drawings look great!!! Not every guest wants thrill rides. That's what Cedar Point and Six Flags are for...Jeez, just give it the chance to open! Some of us get a great thrill out of looking for hidden Mickeys...I guess that makes us sub-par guests

eliza61nyc

I don't understand why some people aren't excited for this. So many people were upset with Disney for the lack of new development, and they complained of a growing staleness in the parks (which I totally agree with). But, after so many years of latency, we are FINALLY receiving new lands and attractions! Honestly, anything is welcomed at this point. I don't feel like arguing, so if you're one of the people not excited for the land, please don't take this personally.

Basically it evidently does not have the "imagination" that Disney had back in the 80's. :joyfull:

ZachPL

We were planning on leaving the orlando area for clearwater on the 30th, when I heard toy story was opening that day I felt like I was obligated to go.

I went to book fastpassed like 63 days in advance but slinky was already booked and alien saucers only had night fastpasses and since we are planning on driving to clearwater that night I didn't want to do a late one.

I didn't book our first fastpass till 12 (for RnR,ToT, TM) hopefully getting there real early I will be able to get on both slinky and saucers in 4 hours...

Smiley/OCD

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and check out how things felt in the 80s. Maybe I would see things similarly to everyone else.
But just remember...there wasn't social media back then...the technology wasn't up to today's standards...I'm SURE if there was, there would be TONS of people complaining that the WDW of the 80's is so sub-par compared to the early 70's. It all comes down to people are going to complain no matter what is built. If the government gave every citizen $100000.00 as a tax break/bonus, there would be people complaining that it should have been 20000.00. For the complainers...look into becoming an imagineer...then they will see that what you want and what WILL be done are two COMPLETELY different things, and maybe, MAYBE their ideas aren't as good as the rest of the powers that be think.

Goofyernmost

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and check out how things felt in the 80s. Maybe I would see things similarly to everyone else.
What has happened is some folks and Disney Imagineers have been able to recognize that this is no longer 1980. 38 years have gone by and tastes, desires and expectations of at least two new generations have changed the picture. Whether or not it was better back then, is strictly a matter of opinion and personal tastes. To some if it isn't smacking of last century it isn't any good. To others if it lines up with the desires of this century it is better. So, the best we can do is experience it and make up our own minds as to what we like and ignore those that seem in a time warp and unable to advance beyond comfort food.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
1. It's being advertised as a family land. It's not.
In addition, height restrictions will exist on Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers which has already upset some people and, in my humble opinion, prevents a substantial amount of children who would otherwise enjoy the new land from being able to ride. Therefore, the ride will exclude a fair amount of children who would enjoy the ride and leave teens and adults unsatisfied
I’m lamenting there isn’t a play area or splash pad themed to toy sprinklers, for example. That should have been included. However, many 2 and most 3 year-olds will be able to ride the Saucers; most 4 year-olds will be able to ride Slinky. Plus, there are no height restrictions on TSM.
2. Both of the new rides are slightly above an off-the-shelf ride. As technology improves, the quality of off-the-shelf rides do as well and I believe that Cars Land, A Bug's Land and now Toy Story Land are proof. All of them include rides that are essentially carbon copies of an off-the-shelf ride with a minor twist. For example, Flick's Flyers is a Dumbo rip off. The only twist is that the carts tilt. In Toy Story Land, Alien Swirling Saucers will fill this role. It is nothing more than a carnival ride with Toy Story theming. As for Slinky Dog Dash, I must emphasize that yes, it is a unique roller coaster and will (probably) have two separate launch sections. However, ask yourself "How much effort was actually put into this roller coaster?" There's no real innovative technology and the ride is going to be almost solely dependent on its extensive theming as well.
Must every Disney ride, or “land” in a park for that matter, be innovative? This land is geared to families. Simple rides like Dumbo are what young kids like to ride. You could have two clones of Dumbo in every park, and young children will want to ride them all. The parents ride enjoy riding as well because they love watching their children have fun. Also, regardless of how off-the-shelf the ride is, Disney generally does an excellent job at theming them.
3. The new rides will not have good capacity. Now I understand that Disney has not released any numbers for the capacity that these rides will carry (or at least to my knowledge, they have not) but from the looks of both Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers, neither ride is going to be good at digesting the crowds in the way that Toy Story Midway Mania will be. Disney has announced June 30th as the opening date and I am personally expecting that the new land will not be able to handle the opening day crowds. Problems that will be exaggerated with fastpass plus. While it obviously won't be the crowd control catastrophe that opening day was over at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, people should expect absurdly long lines for (as stated above) rides with little pay off.
Perhaps they won’t. I’m not willing to argue that. Some families with young children may not want to wait multiple hours to experience all 3 rides once TSL opens. Instead, they’ll disperse to other areas and attractions of DHS.
4. The flagship attraction of the land is already open and has been for nearly 10 years. This is the biggest worry I have for Toy Story land. Toy Story Midway Mania is undoubtedly one of the greatest attractions ever created; however, it opened in 2008. Now, Disney is counting on the ride to headline a brand new land in Hollywood Studios. Toy Story Midway Mania is capable of doing this; however, Disney is expecting guests to be satisfied that the main attraction of their new land is one that has already been present for 10 years and one that many people have already experienced multiple times.
TSM is fun. It really is worth riding every time I go. But you’re overrating it. TSM literally consists of CGI carnival games on screens along a track. It does not have a rightful place among the Pantheon of Imagineering Achievements.

dgp602

I don't even see "extensive theming" here. It is the first rollercoaster ride at WDW with a completely visible track and construction (yes I know the cheap excuse TDO has made up for the cheap theming, the same with Dinoland) , the theming is, compared to EE, BTM and SDMT, minimal and the ride technology doesn't include anything substantial. It is not Fire Mountain, it is not even Indiana Jones in DLP which is the most subpar Disney rollercoaster I ever experienced. Lets face it, these are the standards of contemporary WDI and TDO. And it will not change under this management. And least not improve.
Isn't the Goofy Rollercoaster in MK completely visible?

mergatroid

I believe it opening before Galaxies Edge and Mickey & Minnies runaway train is probably the issue that makes some hate this new land. With little to do in the Studios right now, the next thing to open is being looked upon as a savior and because of this it's probably being judged unfairly imho. Were it to have been built and opened last it would probably have been viewed as what it hopefully is, a nice, modest addition that will probably appeal mostly to those with younger kids rather than a land to transform the park.

Thebolt

TSL is just the first thing out of the door For the re-imagining of WDS.. It will be marketed, as its new and Toy Story is appealing; but it is just the warm up for the main event of Star Wars.
It is a sensible enhancement, rather than an exciting inspirational new area. That is a little boring, but its also likely the right thing to have done before Star Wars GE drags in the big crowds.

DisneyDoctor

TSL is just the first thing out of the door For the re-imagining of WDS.. It will be marketed, as its new and Toy Story is appealing; but it is just the warm up for the main event of Star Wars.
It is a sensible enhancement, rather than an exciting inspirational new area. That is a little boring, but its also likely the right thing to have done before Star Wars GE drags in the big crowds.
And then, BOOM, in comes in the EPCOT overhaul. Which, to be honest, I am wayyy more excited for.

Damon7777

but I've seen you compare all the rides to letter grades "D" and so forth and wonder how

The labels "C", "D" and "E" are short for "C ticket" , "D ticket" and "E ticket". Certainly Disneyland and I believe Magic Kingdom too, right? required guests back in the day to buy tickets to experience the attractions. C tickets were for lesser attractions like say a Toad Wild ride(did I get that right? Anyone? Anyone!) whereas E tickets were for the headlining and super ambitious attractions like a Matterhorn and Pirates

When we speak E ticket we are effectively speaking Disney latin----a dead language......used primarily by geeks and self proclaimed efficinados

Toy Story Mania is a "D"
Tower of Terror is an "E"

Damon7777

And then, BOOM, in comes in the EPCOT overhaul

Ok
~~you are not the first to use that word "overhaul", nor shall you be the last. Those who seek responsible usage face credibility but more often use it stupidly creating harm~~

What I'm about to write should be its own thread,
Ya, I better make a new thread and not do it here.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom